Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Ravens got robbed. The game was over.

NFL probably pulled the cord, don't want a blowout in the Super Bowl, too much money.

Pretty sure it was the illuminati... :)

Beyonce's Super Bowl performance pretty much broke Twitter and the lights at the Superdome, but more importantly, it may have revealed her involvement in a powerful secret society. As far as the internet is concerned, the star flashed an unmistakable symbol during her sexy half-time show.

Yep, Beyonce's in the Illuminati.
link

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
About the lights..

Both teams were affected by the lights going out. That and the fact that San Francisco had a 3rd an long to deal with after the lights came back on tells me the lights didn't affect either team.
Or better yet. The team that dealt with the lights better took advantage of the situation.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
If I were a Niners fan, I'd be livid. 3 straight pass plays? And crappy fade routes, at that. You have Gore and Kaepernick, and Haloti Ngata is out - not even one run? Horrible red zone coaching there.

There were a lot of things that were awful, but they were also mixed in with some really good come back from behind work by the offense and for the most part it wasn't the Niners being so bad as the Ravens being good and playing to their full potential. What many are not really mentioning here is that the Ravens were truly the better team yesterday and deserved the trophy. Their defense was awesome and they contained Kap's running for the most part and really held us a lot on third downs. The same defense that stuffed Brady and the Patriots came alive against the 49ers.

I don't think it was any sort of fluke as they reached the playoffs for five straight seasons with Lewis and Flacco, and others. I don't think this is the last we will hear of the Ravens.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
If I were a Niners fan, I'd be livid. 3 straight pass plays? And crappy fade routes, at that. You have Gore and Kaepernick, and Haloti Ngata is out - not even one run? Horrible red zone coaching there.

Not only that, one of the ravens defensives say they knew that in that position (near goal line) they went to crabtree more than 50% of the time.

And they went with crabtree on all 3 if i recall correctly.

That's one of the few problems with kaepernick, his inexperience, he can't disguise his passes as well as the best of them, or even that good consistently it seems.

Heck the delay of game might've been better for them instead of the time out.

Atleast it turned out to be a great game from 28-6

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
where does this leave Alex Smith? ... I'm talkin to you Jerry Jones :cool:

He'll end up with the Browns. The browns will draft a new QB, sign Alex Smith, fire their coach, and hire their new one all this year.

Just because God hates Cleveland.

no but really there were some rumblings about him maybe going to Cleveland. I hope the new owner is wise enough to avoid that.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. we have enough issues with Tony "I can come through in the clutch really I can, Throws "romo" #5 in a game and losses in the last 45 seconds" Romo. We don't need to add Alex S.

:D

Maybe Alex Smith can go to the Jets and then Tebow can go to the cowboys.

The god circus would be a perfect fit for Texas, they would eat that **** up.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He'll end up with the Browns. The browns will draft a new QB, sign Alex Smith, fire their coach, and hire their new one all this year.

Just because God hates Cleveland.

no but really there were some rumblings about him maybe going to Cleveland. I hope the new owner is wise enough to avoid that.

You really think the Brandon Weeden experiment is over already?

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
There were a lot of things that were awful, but they were also mixed in with some really good come back from behind work by the offense and for the most part it wasn't the Niners being so bad as the Ravens being good and playing to their full potential. What many are not really mentioning here is that the Ravens were truly the better team yesterday and deserved the trophy.

People have mentioned that numerous times, I think at least 5 people have specifically noted the excellent play of Joe Flacco, Jacoby Jones, etc. The Niners still had a chance to win the game, but for some questionable play calling at the end.

63dot said:
Their defense was awesome and they contained Kap's running for the most part and really held us a lot on third downs. The same defense that stuffed Brady and the Patriots came alive against the 49ers.

Their defense gave up 468 yards. Hardly dominant. And they didn't really contain Kaepernick's running, which is why it was a head scratcher they didn't try him in the red zone on that last drive.

Oh well. I'm ready for July minicamps. :eek: And for Gronk to stop partying like he just found out he has 3 months to live.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
The play calling was pretty consistent throughout the game. They barely called any penalties at all.

And really, the 49ers were getting hammered until the lights went out. If anything was a "questionable call" it was the lights at the stadium. It gave a reeling 49ers team 35 minutes to come together with a plan and regroup. That's a huge handicap.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And really, the 49ers were getting hammered until the lights went out. If anything was a "questionable call" it was the lights at the stadium. It gave a reeling 49ers team 35 minutes to come together with a plan and regroup. That's a huge handicap.

This is how I feel. The entire dynamic of the game changed due to the long break. I know people say both teams got a chance to rest, but in all sports momentum is a huge factor and that was greatly affected by the halting of play for such a long time frame. I'm glad the Ravens won for this reason alone. If the 49ers had pulled off the comeback the win would always have an asterisk by it for me due to the blackout.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
This is how I feel. The entire dynamic of the game changed due to the long break. I know people say both teams got a chance to rest, but in all sports momentum is a huge factor and that was greatly affected by the halting of play for such a long time frame. I'm glad the Ravens won for this reason alone. If the 49ers had pulled off the comeback the win would always have an asterisk by it for me due to the blackout.

Yup. Also, I'm a Cleveland fan, I dislike the Ravens almost as much as the Steelers, I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

Eh, I'm not sure.

They had a chance to rest during halftime also - and what happened immediately after? A 108 yard kickoff return coming right out of the half.

A few other times in the playoffs the 49'ers had gotten down early and staged pretty nice comebacks. No blackouts in the Falcons game...

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Eh, I'm not sure.

They had a chance to rest during halftime also - and what happened immediately after? A 108 yard kickoff return coming right out of the half.

A few other times in the playoffs the 49'ers had gotten down early and staged pretty nice comebacks. No blackouts in the Falcons game...

"The entire dynamic of the game changed due to the long break. I know people say both teams got a chance to rest, but in all sports momentum is a huge factor and that was greatly affected by the halting of play"

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
"The entire dynamic of the game changed due to the long break. I know people say both teams got a chance to rest, but in all sports momentum is a huge factor and that was greatly affected by the halting of play"

Yeah, I read what he said.

I'm allowed to have my own opinion, yes? :rolleyes:

Edit:
I understand momentum. I also understand when the lights went out it was 3rd and 13. Did they convert after having 40 minutes to prepare for that play?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Yeah, I read what he said.

I'm allowed to have my own opinion, yes? :rolleyes:

Edit:
I understand momentum. I also understand when the lights went out it was 3rd and 13. Did they convert after having 40 minutes to prepare for that play?

Well it was a 3rd and 13.

But after that they scored how many points in 4 minutes?

And how many did they score in the 1st half?

It was a huge game changer.

-edit-

I thought it was funny that you had responded that way, not that you can't have your opinion. Sorry about that.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Well it was a 3rd and 13.

But after that they scored how many points in 4 minutes?

And how many did they score in the 1st half?

It was a huge game changer.

-edit-

I thought it was funny that you had responded that way, not that you can't have your opinion. Sorry about that.

There would be more of an argument had they converted on that 3rd down. They punted and then the defense got a chance for the first time in the second half. So you can argue that the defense made adjustments during the half. And as I said, they got down early against the Falcons as well and came storming back.

My original response was that after resting at the half the first thing that happens was a 108 yard kick return. So maybe rest is overrated. It didn't have anything to do with the rest both teams got during the blackout, which is what mscriv was talking about.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
There would be more of an argument had they converted on that 3rd down. They punted and then the defense got a chance for the first time in the second half. So you can argue that the defense made adjustments during the half. And as I said, they got down early against the Falcons as well and came storming back.

My original response was that after resting at the half the first thing that happens was a 108 yard kick return. So maybe rest is overrated. It didn't have anything to do with the rest both teams got during the blackout, which is what mscriv was talking about.

It was a 3rd and 13. That's not easy to do no matter what.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
It was a 3rd and 13. That's not easy to do no matter what.

Exactly my point. Had there been this HUGE monmentum swing, converting on 3rd and 13th would have been a perfect example. The fact is, their defense hadn't been on the field yet, so how do we not know it wasn't adjustments made at half time? I could also argue that the defense fiinally making a stop could have been a lift for the offense....Sometimes a defensive stand is all the momentum a team needs.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Oh well. I'm ready for July minicamps. :eek: And for Gronk to stop partying like he just found out he has 3 months to live.

What I wanted was Kap to run to the touchdown at the end. He has the ability and there seemed to be holes, as well as other times where he could have run but didn't. What we see on TV is one thing but maybe the Ravens just had our number.

What killed me is the times we had the 3rd down easy and then just botched it over and over. Kap threw for a good amount of yards but due to the Ravens D, it was only for one TD. The Ravens did everything right and had they been on fire all game, we would have been blown out by 20 points.

I think the power going out helped us as far as taking away their momentum but their dominance for more than half the game putting us back 22 points proved impossible to make up. In regular season play, there have been similar comebacks but we were doomed by not getting into form until into the 3rd quarter. Their defense was great at holding us when we got close and instead of us failing, they were actually succeeding. Where Kap couldn't get a pass off a lot in the first half was because they covered everything really well. Those performances don't seem to get the credit they deserve. I think I won't hear Ravens fans talking about how they almost let this one get away by being bad at stopping a late rally, but that in the end the Ravens won the game.

Our fault wasn't just in the 4th quarter, but really many on both sides making parts of this game very sloppy. They made fewer big mistakes though it was nice to see a gap where they didn't cover our wide receivers very well. Had we won, the pundits would talk about how the Ravens lost it on D not covering the 49ers receivers. The Ravens covered them just good enough for government work in the second half even though it wasn't as good as their first half coverage.

I expect to see the Ravens get into postseason next year. Again, congrats to them and a well deserved respect for a team many considered an also-ran.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Exactly my point. Had there been this HUGE monmentum swing, converting on 3rd and 13th would have been a perfect example. The fact is, their defense hadn't been on the field yet, so how do we not know it wasn't adjustments made at half time? I could also argue that the defense fiinally making a stop could have been a lift for the offense....Sometimes a defensive stand is all the momentum a team needs.

I disagree. Don't think the 3rd and 13 mattered one bit. Nothing really else to say.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
I disagree. Don't think the 3rd and 13 mattered one bit. Nothing really else to say.

I'm just trying to understand how long momentum takes to kick in....It's like saying there was a blackout in the 3rd inning of a baseball game, but because you scored 5 runs in the 5th, it's because of momentum!

We can agree to disagree...:D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I was hoping the momentum that we had, whether it was slight or more significant, was going to hold.

For a few series, the Ravens D seemed to look really stiff and I thought the Niners would have their way with them all the way until the end. But these are pros and they are always constantly adjusting and everything is on the line. They did get it all together and hold and it is something their D will be proud of and rightly take credit for. It was hard to see one of my teams lose but even if the Ravens D just barely pulled it off, they did get a second wind at the end.

I can be a sore loser and say the Ravens have always sucked and still suck, and the officials made some bad calls, and it was simply because we made a few mistakes in the 4th that's why they won, that we somehow just gave them this championship. The truth is they were the better team on Sunday and beat us fair and square. Like some other Ravens game, they didn't do it in a pretty way and keep that 3 touchdown lead until the end and have people start prematurely comparing Flacco's peak right now to Brady or Big Ben in the AFC. Their QB doesn't throw in the mid-90s each and every year but if the rest of the team does better than expected, a Super Bowl win is not out of the question. He will have no trouble staying as the starting QB for the Ravens for a long time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.