Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
20130201033613-1301c6d2-acbf-4d94-89cd-acfd99cdc850.jpg

My Bloody Valentine - mbv
Their first new album in 22 years since 'Loveless'

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Beethoven's 6th symphony (pastorale).

Brilliant, simply sublime. (You've given me an idea for this evening).

Actually, all of Beethoven's symphonies from No 5 on, right up until the magisterial No 9, are excellent, to my mind. Oddly, I've always thought LvB to be a winter composer - meaning that I don't much feel like listening to him in summer, but for the dark days of deepest winter, there is nothing which plumbs the depths quite like a Beethoven symphony.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Brilliant, simply sublime. (You've given me an idea for this evening).

Actually, all of Beethoven's symphonies from No 5 on, right up until the magisterial No 9, are excellent, to my mind. Oddly, I've always thought LvB to be a winter composer - meaning that I don't much feel like listening to him in summer, but for the dark days of deepest winter, there is nothing which plumbs the depths quite like a Beethoven symphony.

Yes, listening to Beethoven is a sound idea.

But I'm not sure if I follow your winter composer experience. I find No 6 quite cheerful and uprising, like a lengthy walk in the forest at early springtime...:) :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, listening to Beethoven is a sound idea.

But I'm not sure if I follow your winter composer experience. I find No 6 quite cheerful and uprising, like a lengthy walk in the forest at early springtime...:) :D

Yes, well, No 6 does have its uplifting moments (that last movement, especially).

While I had planned to listen to LvB tonight, it now seems he will have to wait until another night as I got distracted, while trawling through my own iTunes library, by Mr Pavarotti.

Thus, I am now listening to Luciano Pavarotti singing 'Caruso' by Dalla. Fantastic.

Earlier songs included LP singing 'L'Eliser D'Amore Una Furtiva Lagrima' by Donizetti, 'Recondita Armonia' and 'E Lucevan Le Stelle' both by Tosca, and, of course, the immortal 'Nessun Dorma' by Turandot.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Thus, I am now listening to Luciano Pavarotti singing Caruso by Dalla. Fantastic.

Earlier songs included LP singing 'L'Eliser D'Amore Una Furtiva Lagrima' by Donizetti, 'Recondita Armonia' and 'E Lucevan Le Stelle' both by Tosca, and, of course, the immortal 'Nessun Dorma' by Turandot.

Una Furtiva Lagrima is one of my absolute favorites. By Caruso. I give credit to Woody Allen for using it in Match Point (which I kind of dislike besides that) since it was then when it got my attention. (I'm an rather uneducated and ignorant fool in general to be honest)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was away for a week and, on my return, the CD (and yes, I still buy them, listen to them, and rip them) of the soundtrack of 'Django Unchained' awaited me, neatly packaged.

And so, that is why I'm listening to it right now, as I write.......

Must say that Quentin Tarantino really knows how to put a good and interesting soundtrack together.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
^ You've seen the movie, scepticalscribe? Assuming you liked it...

I'm revisiting my old CD collection, can't get over Kool Keith. Got even better by time.

God bless youtube and what passes the German censorship.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
^ You've seen the movie, scepticalscribe? Assuming you liked it...

I'm revisiting my old CD collection, can't get over Kool Keith. Got even better by time.

God bless youtube and what passes the German censorship.

No, actually, perhaps surprisingly, I have not yet managed to see it, but I enjoyed the soundtrack. Both 'Django' and 'Lincoln' are on my list of movies to see sometime fairly soon, when circumstances and time permit.

However, I did enjoy a much needed week away, though. There were no phone calls (made or received), until my return earlier this week, and I had stressed, in advance, that my email would be checked, at best, intermittently, and responded to only if exceedingly urgent.........

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
No, actually, perhaps surprisingly, I have not yet managed to see it, but I enjoyed the soundtrack. Both 'Django' and 'Lincoln' are on my list of movies to see sometime fairly soon, when circumstances and time permit.

However, I did enjoy a much needed week away, though. There were no phone calls (made or received), until my return earlier this week, and I had stressed, in advance, that my email would be checked, at best, intermittently, and responded to only if exceedingly urgent.........

Sounds like a great opportunity to refill ones own accumulator(s) and keep the system running sane. Good that you're back though, either. I found the soundtrack of Django somehow distracting at times during the movie, but it works anyway, so who am I to complain. Haven't seen Lincoln though, but am eyeing Anna Karenina by Ang Lee. Heard good things by friends - must be a stylish piece of cinema.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds like a great opportunity to refill ones own accumulator(s) and keep the system running sane. Good that you're back though, either. I found the soundtrack of Django somehow distracting at times during the movie, but it works anyway, so who am I to complain. Haven't seen Lincoln though, but am eyeing Anna Karenina by Ang Lee. Heard good things by friends - must be a stylish piece of cinema.

It was. Actually, I'd class it as an 'interesting' and 'informative' trip rather than a 'delightful' one. However, it was a fascinating trip, and a very welcome change of scene, and, moreover, an opportunity to see a new country, one which I hadn't managed to visit prior to now. And, as such, since I don't do 'relax by beach' holidays, it was a chance to remove myself from normal environs and unwind, albeit not in places most would regard as 'relaxing'.

Anna Karenina by anyone sounds interesting, and I'm sure that Ang Lee would make a very interesting movie of this complex and arresting work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.