Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:26 PM   #101
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmed1008 View Post
Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help over the past few days. I have been to Apple store who have agreed to fix for free!

Basically they examined the iMac and found no damage whatsoever elsewhere. The guy said that it was an unusual crack and was not consistent with accidental damage. At some point either in manufacture, assembly, packaging, delivery or the week I had it something happened to weaken it. What, probably never know. They were prepared to believe my version of events and fix for free!

Moral of the story, honesty is the best policy. Apple, amazing products and amazing customer service. Thank you.

are you getting a replacement or are they changing the screen on the same machine ???
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:13 AM   #102
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
Wow ! This all seems to be that old game of lets waste a bunch of Bandwidth on I think this, and he things that, and maybe the dog might have done it. Or maybe the old PC troll living in the garage below. I think this is going nowhere. And how about this statement from the OP........."This seems to have happened a lot on unboxing" well did it happen in this case? Only the shadow knows.

What did I say that was so bizarre (unlike your post). Link below about iMac shipping with cracked screens and customers finding out when they unbox it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...roken-screens/

The technician who has seen the damage agree it was not impact? Or in every case a cracked piece of glass will ALWAYS be because of impact damage by the customer. It is 100% impossible for it to have a manuafacturing flaw etc.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edry.hilario View Post
are you getting a replacement or are they changing the screen on the same machine ???
They are changing the screen. Ran diagnostics and all other aspects and the rest was fine. Said it was a 5 minute job on the old iMac. Now it is much tougher as it is laminated on instead of using magnets.

Only 5 more days before it is done. Can't wait as the old dell laptop is driving me nuts!
philmed1008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:30 AM   #103
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What did I say that was so bizarre (unlike your post). Link below about iMac shipping with cracked screens and customers finding out when they unbox it.

I don't think that article is for the late 2012 iMac. I think that article is a few years old or the writer has no clue what he is talking about .
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:07 AM   #104
oldgeezer
macrumors member

Quote:
Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help over the past few days. I have been to Apple store who have agreed to fix for free!

Basically they examined the iMac and found no damage whatsoever elsewhere. The guy said that it was an unusual crack and was not consistent with accidental damage. At some point either in manufacture, assembly, packaging, delivery or the week I had it something happened to weaken it. What, probably never know. They were prepared to believe my version of events and fix for free!

Moral of the story, honesty is the best policy. Apple, amazing products and amazing customer service. Thank you.

Actually, I think there's another moral to the story.

If you want to hear a bunch of armchair experts spouting their (un)learned positions with great authority, post your problem on MacRumors.

If you want your credibility challenged and want to be accused of lying, post your problem on MacRumors.

If you want to hear a bunch of senseless whining, post your problem on MacRumors.

These threads can be very helpful but so much time is devoted to bashing Apple or the thread starter that it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Congratulations OP! Glad to hear your problem was resolved but sorry you had to hear so much BS from this thread.
oldgeezer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:41 AM   #105
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
I don't think that article is for the late 2012 iMac. I think that article is a few years old or the writer has no clue what he is talking about .
You are absolutely correct. Actually, the article was in reference to the late 2009 27" iMacs, the first 27" iMacs and the first with the Inter Core i CPUs. I think the reference to the new Snow Leopard OS should be a clue. Cracked and shattered screens were a problem with the first shipments of the 27" iMacs, a packaging issue.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:59 PM   #106
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
Actually, I think there's another moral to the story.

If you want to hear a bunch of armchair experts spouting their (un)learned positions with great authority, post your problem on MacRumors.

If you want your credibility challenged and want to be accused of lying, post your problem on MacRumors.

If you want to hear a bunch of senseless whining, post your problem on MacRumors.

These threads can be very helpful but so much time is devoted to bashing Apple or the thread starter that it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Congratulations OP! Glad to hear your problem was resolved but sorry you had to hear so much BS from this thread.
Couldn't agree more. As a newbie to here and the mac I was quite shocked by some of the posts. I felt like I was having to defend my integrity when all I was seeking was advice and to help others who may have a similar issue. Still there were some very nice and helpful people here too, like yourself!

----------

[QUOTE=drambuie;16717713]You are absolutely correct. Actually, the article was in reference to the late 2009 27" iMacs, the first 27" iMacs and the first with the Inter Core i CPUs. I think the reference to the new Snow Leopard OS should be a clue. Cracked and shattered screens were a problem with the first shipments of the 27" iMacs, a packaging issue.

You are quite right. Sorry I should have researched better

Last edited by philmed1008; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
philmed1008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #107
oililymad
macrumors 6502

i'm just happy you got it sorted. Im sorry if i doubted you. . Its good to see good honest people rather than those trying to get something for free.

Enjoy getting your new mac back, and turning that Dell laptop off for the last time :-)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:39 PM   #108
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:

The technician who has seen the damage agree it was not impact? Or in every case a cracked piece of glass will ALWAYS be because of impact damage by the customer. It is 100% impossible for it to have a manuafacturing flaw etc.

----------

They are changing the screen. Ran diagnostics and all other aspects and the rest was fine. Said it was a 5 minute job on the old iMac. Now it is much tougher as it is laminated on instead of using magnets.

Only 5 more days before it is done. Can't wait as the old dell laptop is driving me nuts!
Did they replace it for free?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:18 PM   #109
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Did they replace it for free?
They certainly did!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 AM   #110
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

The iMac is back and in total working order! It was the first one they have had to fix in my local store. One warning from the technician who did the repair was that you should not touch the edge of the glass at all. Apple has warned them that because it is so thin at the edges it is liable to break. Never turn the mac using the glass edge always get hold of the casing at the bottom or the stand to pivot the machine.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 AM   #111
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
The iMac is back and in total working order! It was the first one they have had to fix in my local store. One warning from the technician who did the repair was that you should not touch the edge of the glass at all. Apple has warned them that because it is so thin at the edges it is liable to break. Never turn the mac using the glass edge always get hold of the casing at the bottom or the stand to pivot the machine.
Good it's back and complete.

Hmmm, then the design is flawed.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:14 AM   #112
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Apple should make customers aware on how to handle these since it can inadvertently damaged.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 AM   #113
Rottie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi there,

First off, congrats on getting your iMac repaired.

I've been watching this thread with some interest, because I am almost at the point of ordering a new i7 3.4GHz/3Tb Fusion/2Gb Graphics BTO iMac, but having read this thread and others, I'm just wondering if I should leave it a little while longer, before I actually commit, to let Apple sort out their QC procedures, as there does seem to be a couple of issues (namely DOA machines and machines like yours, which have a screen defect, whether it is a physical mark, or image retention).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
apple should make customers aware on how to handle these since it can inadvertently damaged.
+1
Rottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 AM   #114
oililymad
macrumors 6502

Glad you got it sorted :-D

Damn scary that these displays are that fragile.

Don't touch the edges?

I think I'm going to check the accidental damage policy and article limit in my house insurance!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:54 AM   #115
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Apple has warned them that because it is so thin at the edges it is liable to break. Never turn the mac using the glass edge always get hold of the casing at the bottom or the stand to pivot the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Good it's back and complete.

Hmmm, then the design is flawed.
Exactly. Every iMac I've owned up to my 2011 model I have turned and pivoted them by way of grabbing the edges of the screen. If the 2012 is flawed like that I will not be buying another iMac. I just don't believe that's the case because Apple will have a lot of broken screens. It's common practice to grab both sides of the screen to turn the machine around.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:32 PM   #116
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

The iMac photo from that article is from November, 2009. The story is old - by many years.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:05 AM   #117
petronews
macrumors newbie

same happened to me

philmed1008, nice of apple they approved Your claim. Same cracked edge happened to me I'm 100% sure there was no mechanical impact that could justify that kind of damage. An hour before i noticed the crack my friends came for supper and we were talking about how good lookin was the new iMac, apart from suffering from an awful backlight bleed so This is already my second disappointment with the ne iMac's quality. Is this supposed to be the gorgeous, laminated, IPS screeen "LED backlighting offers instant-on, uniform brightness with no waiting."? I dont think so, it's called Simulacrum and professor Jean Baudrillard devoted his life to describe this social theory.

BEWARE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backlight_bleed.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	394397   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_overview.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	394398   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_blow_up.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	394399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_puzzle.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	394400   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_puzzle_scale.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	394401  
petronews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #118
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronews View Post
philmed1008, nice of apple they approved Your claim. Same cracked edge happened to me I'm 100% sure there was no mechanical impact that could justify that kind of damage. An hour before i noticed the crack my friends came for supper and we were talking about how good lookin was the new iMac, apart from suffering from an awful backlight bleed so This is already my second disappointment with the ne iMac's quality. Is this supposed to be the gorgeous, laminated, IPS screeen "LED backlighting offers instant-on, uniform brightness with no waiting."? I dont think so, it's called Simulacrum and professor Jean Baudrillard devoted his life to describe this social theory.

BEWARE.
looks exactly the same as mine and same circumstances. Apple need to urgently look into this. Hope it works out for you. Fingers are firmly crossed
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #119
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
looks exactly the same as mine and same circumstances. Apple need to urgently look into this. Hope it works out for you. Fingers are firmly crossed
This could be a micro-fracture that eventually opened up, and could have been caused even during manufacture.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:00 PM   #120
boogieman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi

This is my first post here as brand new mac user. I decided to purchase the new iMac. However not all has gone well, firstly I knocked it off the desk and shattered the screen on New years day. Insurance claim was processed and after an extra 200 excess I had a like for like replacement.

I have woken up this morning and gone to use it and noticed a thumb sized crack / chip on the right edge. I can categorically say that no collision or accidental damage was done this time to cause this damage.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this. I have an appointment with a genius in the store on Tuesday evening and am prepared to fight this very strongly as I am convinced there must have been a manufacturing defect in the glass. Pics are posted below. The side shot shows no damage at all to the casing.

Thanks everyone.
My 2012 iMac has this nearly identical issue with it in the right side about 5-6 inches from the top. I live 2 1/2 hours from apple store. Called where I bought and they are giving me the run around. Any suggestions?
Ipad HD 64Ggb Verizon ....64gb Iphone 5 Verizon
boogieman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 04:48 PM   #121
Lijim
macrumors newbie

Imac cracked screen

It's a shame that most apple customers are very loyal to the apple brand, but get little or not enough support from apple in turn. Likewise, my 9 month old 27 inch imac screen developed a crack on the top right, about 3 inches down from the top. This was unexpectedly and from nowhere. Believe me, this was no accident of any description. As we know, these gadgets are not cheap by any means, therefore most of us treat them with extra care at all times.

As other writers have already stated repeatedly, apple customer service denied any responsibility and put the screen crack down to accidental damage. In the end, I was quoted just over 500 to replace the outer glass. What I have learnt from this experience is that there is no reward for loyalty with any of these brands (apple, samsung, etc). Personally, I will never buy another imac all-in-one. This design seem to be very prone to screen damages, don't know how. However, the Imac mini version plus the use of other screen brands seems to be a sensible option. I strongly sympathize with all those who may have gone through the 'screen crack' experience. Best wishes guys!!

Last edited by Lijim; Nov 28, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Lijim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:30 AM   #122
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Reading round on these forums it looks like most people sadly are pretty cynical about stuff like this. It seems everyone immediately thinks people are lying. I am not, so I suppose it is my word against others.

The screen was intact at 10pm last night and not at 9am this morning. Nobody has thrown a ball at it, moved it or done anything to it in that time. Infact it is stored on a desk in a built in wardrobe with the doors shut. The only environmental effect on the iMac would have been a temperature drop in the night of about 10 degrees or so when the heating in the house is off. It is subzero here at the moment and the room it is in is quite cold as it is above a built in garage. Perhaps it was the bogeyman!
What temperature was your house?
MartinAppleGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac