Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
The iPod have long had a radio chip in them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the devices have them too. Why don't they enable it once and for all?

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Just to be clear, are you talking about FM radio? Because every iDevice out there has radios in them, otherwise you wouldn't get WiFi or cellular.

Anyway, even with "hidden" FM radios there isn't much reason for them to enable them without antennas to make them work. You can't have a radio work without an antenna, so the additional cost of that (not to mention the space it takes up) basically means it isn't really worth it. It always amazes me how people forget about this. I guess people are used to ignoring how things work because it's all hidden to the user.

Internet radio (Spotify, Rdio, Pandora) is the future anyway, it is where the real money is going, and Apple is not stupid to ignore that.

The headphones can be used as an antenna. It has been done MANY times.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Horrible icon. And I'm not one to typically comment on stuff like this - but it's antiquated at best and just bad at worst.

Those buttons look as if they are "add station" buttons. If this is what not using skeuomorphism is going to be like - bring it back

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
The headphones can be used as an antenna. It has been done MANY times.

remote.jpg

Have one of these on my iPod Classic.
Works great.
You would think that if they were driven by profits they could just manufacturer it again and write an app for the phone.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Most smartphones and other PMP devices... including the iPod Nano... use the wire in your headphones as an FM antenna. No additional component needed.

They still require additional components to be made for it to work, it certainly saves more space than a separate antenna, but that simply won't work for a device like an iPhone or iPad where you are expected to support the speakers built into the device. Even the iPod won't work with FM if you plug it into a dock, and also they won't work without the iPod specific headphones (which cost more to produce). If Apple put the same requirement on the iPhone and iPad people would just be complaining about that instead of the complete lack of FM. Replace one complaint with another, it's not a solution.

stevedun

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
I'd much rather see an AM receiver built in. I don't wanna ditch my iPhone 5 when the zombie apocalypse hits.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Have one of these on my iPod Classic.
Works great.
You would think that if they were driven by profits they could just manufacturer it again and write an app for the phone.
You don't even need one of those anymore. As long as the tuner is built into the device... which it is thanks to Broadcom... all you need is a pair of headphones to act as the antenna. That's how it works in the iPod Nano.

----------

They still require additional components to be made for it to work, it certainly saves more space than a separate antenna, but that simply won't work for a device like an iPhone or iPad where you are expected to support the speakers built into the device. Even the iPod won't work with FM if you plug it into a dock, and also they won't work without the iPod specific headphones (which cost more to produce). If Apple put the same requirement on the iPhone and iPad people would just be complaining about that instead of the complete lack of FM. Replace one complaint with another, it's not a solution.

It's better to have nothing rather than something because people are going to complain either way? That really doesn't make a lick of sense.

And it's not like Apple hasn't required something plugged in for certain functionality before. To take voice memos on the older (third gen and before) iPod touches and newer iPod Nanos an appropirately equipped headset must be used, as these devices lack a built-in microphone.

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That's an ugly icon, IMO. Not very Apple-like.

Could be a placeholder until they make the actual icon. Resolution doesn't look appropriate for a Retina Display either.

I can't see the actual resolution but I doubt a @2x PNG weighting 2 kB is the real deal, unless they're being super-super small, in fact too small to be an appropriate touch target.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

What other components are needed? The FM Radio? The cellular radio chip can handle FM Radio signals and as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the particular one Apple uses for its phones supports it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So... why is this needed?

Partners AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc are not making enough a windfall with the "stream everything from the cloud" mindset. So now, "big innovations" are going to be other features that have to burn data to function. Note where the focus has been recently:
  • Siri- must have an internet connection to function
  • imessage- must have an internet connection to (sort of) function
  • Maps- must have an internet connection to function
  • Facebook integration- must have an internet connection to function
  • Shared Photo Streams- must have an internet connection to function

And don't forget the recent "approval" by some of the 3G/4G tollmasters to "allow" Facetime functionality. How nice of them to let us burn through more data if we like (when we could already do the same with various other Facetime-like apps).

If you want to guess the next big (software) things from Apple, think about what else depends on streaming data to work. I suspect AT&T, Verizon, etc brains are making a steady stream of pitches to Apple for ideas that are data-hungry. "Siri, read War & Peace or the Encyclopedia to me aloud." Etc.

Everything seems to be increasingly streaming-data intensive. Why do we need this from Apple when we already have good versions of it from other players like Pandora? I wonder if there is some secret goal for all iDevices to achieve a certain amount of 3G/4G usage via Apple apps? Maybe the subsidy depends on it? Or maybe the subsidy will be better if Apple can move it's following to burn through even more 3G/4G data?

Burn that data, burn. Pay those 3G/4G tolls, pay them.:mad: Isn't the cloud wonderful?

Last edited:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Please add local FM and AM stations, but I am sure Clear Channel not going to allow Apple to that those bastards.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Please add local FM and AM stations, but I am sure Clear Channel not going to allow Apple to that those bastards.

Yeah they won't because they already have their own app, iHeartRadio. It is a limited, but surprisingly not annoying app.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Oh please, radio makes the vast majority of it's money from the sale of commercials. More ears being able to hear local stations means more enticements for those who buy commercials. If Apple- or anyone- wanted to expand the number the ears listening, radio companies would be all over it trying to grease the wheels.

iHeartRadio is about trying to remain relevant in a world where the audience is turning away from "old fashioned" radio. Radio stations would love it if Apple just built radio into the core apps available on every iDevice.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
So this new radio thing is the reason why they took away iTunes DJ from us? :mad:

iTunes DJ was real cool and we could spend days and months exploring all the music we already have, in many new ways.

Now we're gonna get something similar, but we'll have to pay for it, and oh, great improvement, we'll be able to buy the songs (at 256 kbps) ... that we'll be allowed to listen only on the purchasing device. :confused:

If that's really what's coming, I'd rather stick to existing listener supported internet radios like Radio Paradise, and keep on helping friendly folks.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
When Apple launch this it will sink almost every streaming radio service such as Pandora and Spotify as they won't be able to compete.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
But with a real radio you get both. My old Nokia Lumia 900 had a built in radio and even though half of my journey I was at "No Service" it continued to pickup the radio flawlessly.

Well that's true.
Alright McKay, you've got 5 minutes to come up with a cell phone that never loses reception or we're all dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.