Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hello! I finally bought a mac, and I'm having some hard times adjusting to the system from windows. For example, how do I delete file with one click?
I searched around, and I tried fn+backspace, cmd+backspace, but they don't do anything..
Why can't I label some of the files?
Is there an auto-arrange function to arrange the icons like in windows?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello! I finally bought a mac,
Congrats!

and I'm having some hard times adjusting to the system from windows.
This may be useful:

For example, how do I delete file with one click?
You don't specify what you're trying to delete. If it's highlighted text, just use the delete key. If it's a file in Finder, use the Command-Delete key combination or right-click on the file and Move to Trash. If it's a song in iTunes, Option-Delete. It helps if you describe what, exactly, you're trying to delete and what app you're using.

Why can't I label some of the files?
Label what files? And what do you mean by "label"? Do you mean change the file name?

Is there an auto-arrange function to arrange the icons like in windows?
Many times Finder won't remember the arrangement if you leave and come back to a window. Just right-click and Arrange by. I rarely use icon view for this and other reasons.

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I was trying to delete a file from my external HDD, which is formatted in NTFS, so now I understand I can only read-only, which is a pity, since I want to use it normally. Which is the best way to format so it would fit both mac and pc, and would allow files larger than 2GB?

I meant labeling a file with color, but it was also a problem with the external HDD.

So there's no way to autoarrange the icons like they are autoarranged in the "utilities" window for example?

Another feature I'm missing from Windows is to zoom in and out a photo with the mouse scroll, and then navigate in the photo with the "hand" tool. Is it possible to do it in mac (in the native photo viewer)?

Thanks again! (by the way, it's the new imac 27! :) )

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was trying to delete a file from my external HDD, which is formatted in NTFS, so now I understand I can only read-only, which is a pity, since I want to use it normally. Which is the best way to format so it would fit both mac and pc, and would allow files larger than 2GB?
Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
So there's no way to autoarrange the icons like they are autoarranged in the "utilities" window for example?
What do you mean by "utilities window"? The /Applications/Utilities folder is subject to the same view settings in Finder as any other folder.
Another feature I'm missing from Windows is to zoom in and out a photo with the mouse scroll, and then navigate in the photo with the "hand" tool. Is it possible to do it in mac (in the native photo viewer)?
Using the Control key with the scroll wheel on your mouse will zoom your entire screen, regardless of its contents. If you're talking about zooming in on a photo in Preview, I don't know of any way to zoom with the mouse, but Preview has "+" and "-" icons on the toolbar for zooming. You can also resize photos in Preview.

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I have decided to use Tuxera NTSF. So far it works perfectly. Is there an advantage to Paragon?

Mountain Lion was preinstalled on my mac when I opened it. If I will ever want to format and start clean, how can I do it?

I managed by myself to rearrange the icons. Thanks for the help though!

After importing photos from my iphone using iPhoto, they appear to be gone from my iPhone (on iPhoto), but when checking my iPhone they are still there. It ask me if I want to delete the photos. Does it mean only the photos I imported? Because I didn't import all of them, and I wouldn't like it to delete all my photos!
Is there a way I can manage/copy/delete photos from my iPhone through my mac? (something that I used to do in Windows...) I just can't do it with iPhoto. Actually I can't even OPEN the photos on my iphone through my mac before importing them. All I see is their preview.

Using the Control key with the scroll wheel on your mouse will zoom your entire screen, regardless of its contents. If you're talking about zooming in on a photo in Preview, I don't know of any way to zoom with the mouse, but Preview has "+" and "-" icons on the toolbar for zooming. You can also resize photos in Preview.

Using control + mouse scroll doesn't zoom in and out anywhere. Should I enable it somewhere? I couldn't find it in the mouse settings.

Thanks again for all your help! I'm already in love with my imac! :D

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have decided to use Tuxera NTSF. So far it works perfectly. Is there an advantage to Paragon?
There have been fewer reports of problems with Paragon, and it's less expensive than Tuxera.
Mountain Lion was preinstalled on my mac when I opened it. If I will ever want to format and start clean, how can I do it?
OS X: About OS X Recovery
How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion
Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.
Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery
Using control + mouse scroll doesn't zoom in and out anywhere. Should I enable it somewhere? I couldn't find it in the mouse settings.
System Preferences > Mouse
ScreenCap 2013-02-06 at Wed, Feb 6,9.29.14 AM .PNG

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
If you're talking about zooming in on a photo in Preview, I don't know of any way to zoom with the mouse, but Preview has "+" and "-" icons on the toolbar for zooming. You can also resize photos in Preview.

I use the magic pad instead of a mouse - I can use pinch to zoom in preview. Since you are talking about a wheel on your mouse, I assume you are not using the mouse that came with your mac - not sure what is available in that case.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use the magic pad instead of a mouse - I can use pinch to zoom in preview. Since you are talking about a wheel on your mouse, I assume you are not using the mouse that came with your mac - not sure what is available in that case.
No mouse came with my Mac.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
No mouse came with my Mac.

That part was actually directed towards the OP - sorry I wasn't explicit. He said he has the iMac 27, which I assume ships with some sort of mouse. I bought an iMac a long time ago and it shipped with the mighty mouse - looks like they ship with the magic mouse now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That part was actually directed towards the OP - sorry I wasn't explicit. He said he has the iMac 27, which I assume ships with some sort of mouse. I bought an iMac a long time ago and it shipped with the mighty mouse - looks like they ship with the magic mouse now.
Gotcha. It did look to me like you were talking about mine.

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I don't have that screen because I don't have a tracking pad I guess... So there's no option to zoom in and out with the mouse?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't have that screen because I don't have a tracking pad I guess... So there's no option to zoom in and out with the mouse?
That screen has nothing to do with a trackpad. It's a setting for the mouse, found in System Preferences > Mouse

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
This is what I have:

PG8jm45.png

h7fu08m.png

So where do I click to see the other options?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
So where do I click to see the other options?

I'm guessing GGJStudios gave you a screen shot from an earlier rev of OSX. In ML, the screen zoom is now under settings->accessibility->zoom.

This is a screen zoom, though, so you will loose resolution as you zoom. If using preview for photos or PDF docs, you will get a higher res zoom if you use the zooming at the application level. Like ai said, with my magic pad, pinching in and out does zooming. I don't know what is available with your magic mouse. I see in your screen shot there is a double-tab to "smart zoom", however I have no idea what a smart zoom is - something you can play with I suppose.

Killwin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks ScoobyMcDoo and GGJstudios! That worked!
If I will have more questions I will open it in a new thread since it's no longer related to the topic.

Thanks again!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Many times Finder won't remember the arrangement if you leave and come back to a window. ... I rarely use icon view for this and other reasons.
I don't find that to be true at all. I only use Icon View. I guess it all depends on how you have it set up.

Sure there is. Just play around with Show View Options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.