Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nsomnia34

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2012
I keep getting this message when I go to Cydia saying I have too many packages. When I go to search or go to my packages, nothing is there. Is anyone else having this problem or experienced this before?? I didn't install nearly anything compared to the past Jb. Don't know if I should jailbreak it again or what to do since I can't even see my packages to delete.
I'm using an iPhone 5 32gb on verizon, if that helps. Thanks for your help.

kissnoob

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
is this your error message: "Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of..."?

brittag

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
This "Wow, you exceeded the number of package names" error message happens because Cydia is currently based on a version of APT that can only support having 65k packages available from your installed sources.

You can fix the problem by removing some of your sources (by going to Manage -> Sources -> Edit on iPhone/iPod touch or to Sources -> Edit on iPad). That will put the number of available packages below 65k so that you can use Cydia again.

If some sources seem to not have a "remove" button when you try to remove them, that usually means they were installed as packages. Go to Manage -> Packages on iPhone/iPod touch (or to Installed on iPad), find the package with the source's name, and uninstall that package.

Keep in mind that pretty much the only way to get to this error message right now is to have several pirate repositories installed (since the default repositories only add up to 41k packages, and legitimate non-default repositories tend to be small). So, to work around this limitation, it's best to uninstall pirate repositories and keep legitimate ones. The default legitimate repositories are BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.