Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
How can Apple always say how they love music, but then they don´t provide the proper professional tools anymore for professional musicians to create the music?

I guess they don´t want anyone to make music anymore. Or maybe they want everyone to use the iPhone pianos, drums and whatnot and make children´s music low production crap?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
How can Apple always say how they love music, but then they don´t provide the proper professional tools anymore for professional musicians to create the music?

I guess they don´t want anyone to make music anymore. Or maybe they want everyone to use the iPhone pianos, drums and whatnot and make children´s music low production crap?

I think they like the profit in the music sales business, but if they were serious about it they would not be killing DVD drives off everything and would offer lossless media in the iTMS.

Apple is one of the few companies that really doesn't do everything they can to optimize download sizes IMO. A simple iTunes update is huge, not to mention Internet Recovery, Combo Updates, etc. I see no reason lossless media which is small in comparison should not be an option.

I know you are talking about production and not consumption, but that is an area they could do much better. I still do not buy from the iTMS.

Just like professional photographers do not shoot everything in JPEG, music lovers should not be forcedto buy lossy media. Sad that a technology that came out circa 1983 is still better than what we have now. I have zero issues with CDs and will continue to buy my music on them as long as they are available, which still should be a good while.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

If you can't make "Pro" music with Logic, you should reevaluate your talent. Wanting an update is entirely not the same thing as "providing proper professional tools". They have been provided. What exactly are you wanting? Pro-Tools...check, Logic...check, UA plugs..check, Waves...check, etc, etc... Aside from Logic Apple does not have any other tools to offer. 3rd party's do.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Yes. A good argument that clearly shows Apple hates music. I think we should extrapolate that Apple hates everyone.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Partially agree. Apple, like any sufficiently big corporation, has multiple personalities. In Apple's case one personality has noticed, that more money can be made from selling other people's creation than by enabling users to create. Another personality is still interested in enabling creative users for the sake of humanity and the arts.
Still another sub-persona thinks that touting creativity makes good copy.

So I'd agree with you that apple's primary focus is not on advancing artistic creativity, but OTOH, The software is there, it's considered the best by many professionals and in audio production Macs are still well represented.

OP, do you have a specific gripe?

RGDS,

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
A lot of people seem to get really offended because the consumer devices that make Apple tens of billions of dollars get more attention than the pro stuff that makes Apple millions of dollars.

Saying that they hate you is taking it a bit personally.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Maybe you should try making music just with a piano, drums and voice (there's Auto-Tune for the iPad, too, in case you care for that) first, and then come back and complain? That worked out for everybody the last couple of hundred years, might work for you, too.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Let me just say that Apple provides more than enough tools for any musician to make music professionally, and there are other companies that make software to use on your Apple hardware such as Avid. OP didn't say whether he meant hardware or software, but in either case they are sufficient for professional tools. Despite the Mac Pro being one generation behind it is still more than enough for audio editing.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Most of the classic records in our collections have been recorded on far less than the tools the current version of Logic Pro gives. I personally feel that if you cant make Logic in it's current form work for you then the problem isn't your software or hardware.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Most of the classic records in our collections have been recorded on far less than the tools the current version of Logic Pro gives. I personally feel that if you cant make Logic in it's current form work for you then the problem isn't your software or hardware.

Exactly

If you can't make music on today's hardware that sounds good the issue is your talent and not the software.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Huh? Even a Macbook Pro or an iMac is more than capable to run Logic.

What exactly is the issue here?

dd3dave

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
I'm a little torn here.

On the one hand I'm in the - if you have a pen and paper then you have all you need to write music camp.

Whilst on the other I have to admit that although Logic is a fantastic DAW for the price it's falling behind on an increasing number of fronts; especially for those of us who work to picture (from no 64 bit video drivers through to horrible bug when changing bar and SMPTE times that has been around since v8).

Still, there are other great DAWs out there but if you're going that route (as I am) then you might want to consider a well made PC instead. You get to vote with your feet and any dual platform DAW delivers more once free from OSX. You will however spend a bit more time/money on the setup... but what Pro doesn't like a challenge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.