Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
lopakalolo
macrumors newbie

opening .mpg file on iPad 2

I have been having a problem "that normally wouldn't be one" on a PC, that is driving me crazy. It is so simple (or so I thought) that I feel stupid asking it But here goes.
I receive an e-mail with a .mpg attachment. When I click to open it, I get a black box that pops up with the following icons that prompt to "Open in":
1.) Dropbox (I haven't figured out how to use this yet)
2.) Mail (I'm already in mail, that's where I clicked on the .mpg attachment)
3.) Documents (All I have to do is figure out where this is)
4.) Documents Free (ditto)
5.) Free Video (haven't found this either)
6.) ePrint hp (worthless, I have an HP "3 in 1" and a Canon and neither will work with the iPad)
7.) Google Drive (This was my last download but I still don't know where this is)

As you can see, I've been busy downloading apps that I thought might work.
I think that I should just delete them all and start from scratch with one application that is recommended.

***All I'm looking for is a simple solution to click on the .mpg and have it magically appear and play on the iPad desktop. Is that asking for too much or what? Apple sometimes makes things more difficult (or should I say proprietary) than is necessary.

All replies (even one's with sarcasm) welcome with results that work.
lopakalolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

The file type .mpg isn't supported on the iPad so you'd need to convert them to a supported file type like .m4v, .mp4 or mpeg-4. If they are movies or videos you want to store on the iPad, I'd suggest using Handbrake to encode them into an iPad friendly format. If they aren't your videos, tell your parents to stop forwarding old video emails to you.

From Apple:

"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting