Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
ApplesAOranges
macrumors 6502

Apple hates music and professional musicians!!

How can Apple always say how they love music, but then they donīt provide the proper professional tools anymore for professional musicians to create the music?

I guess they donīt want anyone to make music anymore. Or maybe they want everyone to use the iPhone pianos, drums and whatnot and make childrenīs music low production crap?
ApplesAOranges is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesAOranges View Post
How can Apple always say how they love music, but then they donīt provide the proper professional tools anymore for professional musicians to create the music?

I guess they donīt want anyone to make music anymore. Or maybe they want everyone to use the iPhone pianos, drums and whatnot and make childrenīs music low production crap?
I think they like the profit in the music sales business, but if they were serious about it they would not be killing DVD drives off everything and would offer lossless media in the iTMS.

Apple is one of the few companies that really doesn't do everything they can to optimize download sizes IMO. A simple iTunes update is huge, not to mention Internet Recovery, Combo Updates, etc. I see no reason lossless media which is small in comparison should not be an option.

I know you are talking about production and not consumption, but that is an area they could do much better. I still do not buy from the iTMS.

Just like professional photographers do not shoot everything in JPEG, music lovers should not be forcedto buy lossy media. Sad that a technology that came out circa 1983 is still better than what we have now. I have zero issues with CDs and will continue to buy my music on them as long as they are available, which still should be a good while.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:

If you can't make "Pro" music with Logic, you should reevaluate your talent. Wanting an update is entirely not the same thing as "providing proper professional tools". They have been provided. What exactly are you wanting? Pro-Tools...check, Logic...check, UA plugs..check, Waves...check, etc, etc... Aside from Logic Apple does not have any other tools to offer. 3rd party's do.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:37 AM   #4
theSeb
macrumors 603

Yes. A good argument that clearly shows Apple hates music. I think we should extrapolate that Apple hates everyone.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:01 AM   #5
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Partially agree. Apple, like any sufficiently big corporation, has multiple personalities. In Apple's case one personality has noticed, that more money can be made from selling other people's creation than by enabling users to create. Another personality is still interested in enabling creative users for the sake of humanity and the arts.
Still another sub-persona thinks that touting creativity makes good copy.

So I'd agree with you that apple's primary focus is not on advancing artistic creativity, but OTOH, The software is there, it's considered the best by many professionals and in audio production Macs are still well represented.

OP, do you have a specific gripe?

RGDS,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

A lot of people seem to get really offended because the consumer devices that make Apple tens of billions of dollars get more attention than the pro stuff that makes Apple millions of dollars.

Saying that they hate you is taking it a bit personally.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Maybe you should try making music just with a piano, drums and voice (there's Auto-Tune for the iPad, too, in case you care for that) first, and then come back and complain? That worked out for everybody the last couple of hundred years, might work for you, too.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Giuly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Let me just say that Apple provides more than enough tools for any musician to make music professionally, and there are other companies that make software to use on your Apple hardware such as Avid. OP didn't say whether he meant hardware or software, but in either case they are sufficient for professional tools. Despite the Mac Pro being one generation behind it is still more than enough for audio editing.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Most of the classic records in our collections have been recorded on far less than the tools the current version of Logic Pro gives. I personally feel that if you cant make Logic in it's current form work for you then the problem isn't your software or hardware.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood123 View Post
Most of the classic records in our collections have been recorded on far less than the tools the current version of Logic Pro gives. I personally feel that if you cant make Logic in it's current form work for you then the problem isn't your software or hardware.
Exactly

If you can't make music on today's hardware that sounds good the issue is your talent and not the software.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:29 PM   #11
goMac
macrumors 603

Huh? Even a Macbook Pro or an iMac is more than capable to run Logic.

What exactly is the issue here?
goMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:01 PM   #12
HeyZeus
Banned

You think the MUSIC professionals have it bad?
HeyZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #13
elvisizer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
If you can't make "Pro" music with Logic, you should reevaluate your talent.
seriously.
elvisizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
dd3dave
macrumors newbie

I'm a little torn here.

On the one hand I'm in the - if you have a pen and paper then you have all you need to write music camp.

Whilst on the other I have to admit that although Logic is a fantastic DAW for the price it's falling behind on an increasing number of fronts; especially for those of us who work to picture (from no 64 bit video drivers through to horrible bug when changing bar and SMPTE times that has been around since v8).

Still, there are other great DAWs out there but if you're going that route (as I am) then you might want to consider a well made PC instead. You get to vote with your feet and any dual platform DAW delivers more once free from OSX. You will however spend a bit more time/money on the setup... but what Pro doesn't like a challenge?
dd3dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro