Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Contacts, iCloud and Duplicate Groups

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and implemented iCloud. Everything seems to be working fine, but I noticed that, in the "Groups" list on the left hand side of the Contacts screen, there are two groups for "iCloud", both of which contain the same subgroups (i.e. those that I have created such as Business Contacts, Clients Contact, Family Contacts, etc.). Is this normal? Is there a way that I can delete one of these groups to clean up the screen a bit? Thanks.
Big Byte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Byte View Post
I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and implemented iCloud. Everything seems to be working fine, but I noticed that, in the "Groups" list on the left hand side of the Contacts screen, there are two groups for "iCloud", both of which contain the same subgroups (i.e. those that I have created such as Business Contacts, Clients Contact, Family Contacts, etc.). Is this normal? Is there a way that I can delete one of these groups to clean up the screen a bit? Thanks.
This happened to me.

Try going to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts and Calendars

Look in the left hand column and see if iCloud appears twice.

If it does,highlight one of the iCloud accounts. go to the bottom, click on "-" (minus) to delete one of the accounts.

I would always suggest making sure your stuff is backed up before you do it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
This happened to me.

Try going to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts and Calendars

Look in the left hand column and see if iCloud appears twice.

If it does,highlight one of the iCloud accounts. go to the bottom, click on "-" (minus) to delete one of the accounts.

I would always suggest making sure your stuff is backed up before you do it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but iCloud only appears once in System Preferences > Mail, Contacts and Calendars.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Are you certain they are both iCloud? Often when you turn on iCloud it will import your "On My Mac" contacts and groups while leaving them in place, so you end up with both.

It look like:

Code:
iCloud
--Family
--Friends

On my Mac
--Family
--Friends
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Are you certain they are both iCloud? Often when you turn on iCloud it will import your "On My Mac" contacts and groups while leaving them in place, so you end up with both.

It look like:

Code:
iCloud
--Family
--Friends

On my Mac
--Family
--Friends
Let me clarify what happened:

1) I installed Mountain Lion
2) I activated iCloud
3) iCloud was acting funny, so I unchecked everything in System Preferences > iCloud. In doing so, I was given the option to merge my contacts back to On my Mac, which I did
4) Contacts now has two iCloud categories (not iCloud and On my Mac)

I'm thinking something happened around step 3), but I am not sure. Maybe you're on to something?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Let me clarify what happened:

1) I installed Mountain Lion
2) I activated iCloud
3) iCloud was acting funny, so I unchecked everything in System Preferences > iCloud. In doing so, I was given the option to merge my contacts back to On my Mac, which I did
4) Contacts now has two iCloud categories (not iCloud and On my Mac)

I'm thinking something happened around step 3), but I am not sure. Maybe you're on to something?
Hmmm... odd.

Check in this screen in System Prefs and make sure you don't have two iCloud accounts entered.

Thumb resize.

I'm also wondering if in this process that second iCloud heading you have is really an On my Mac group that just got relabeled incorrectly as part of the import back to On my Mac.

Can you experiment and figure out which might be the On my Mac one and delete it? As I recall if you delete all contacts from On my Mac the whole heading goes away.

Go to Contacts preferences and tell it to make iCloud the default for new contacts.

Before you do anything, do a command-a to select all contacts then in the File menu select Export / Export vcard and save it to the desktop. This will give you a local backup of all your contacts in case this gets sideways.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Hmmm... odd.

Check in this screen in System Prefs and make sure you don't have two iCloud accounts entered.

Thumb resize.

I'm also wondering if in this process that second iCloud heading you have is really an On my Mac group that just got relabeled incorrectly as part of the import back to On my Mac.

Can you experiment and figure out which might be the On my Mac one and delete it? As I recall if you delete all contacts from On my Mac the whole heading goes away.

Go to Contacts preferences and tell it to make iCloud the default for new contacts.

Before you do anything, do a command-a to select all contacts then in the File menu select Export / Export vcard and save it to the desktop. This will give you a local backup of all your contacts in case this gets sideways.
I tried doing that, but it didn't work. Interestingly, though, in Contacts Preferences, under default accounts, there is both On my Mac and TWO iCloud accounts. Shouldn't there be only one iCloud account? Does this mean anything?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Turns out that there were two iCloud accounts in in Contacts > System Preferences > Accounts and deleting one of them fixed the issue. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Big Byte is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 03:37 AM   #9
befrank4444
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Turns out that there were two iCloud accounts in in Contacts > System Preferences > Accounts and deleting one of them fixed the issue. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Same thing happened to me!
How did you manage to delete the extra account? I tried and it takes me to "Internet Accounts". Frustrating.
befrank4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store