Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:00 PM   #76
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
It probably will be based off the new iMac and not be VESA compatible. Sorry. I would be completely shocked if they made a different shell for the iMac and one for the ATD.
Unfortunately, I totally agree. The new one will probably not have the VESA mount.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 PM   #77
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
Unfortunately, I totally agree. The new one will probably not have the VESA mount.
that sucks. I will have to wait for thunderbolt display version 3 when they decide to put it back.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:17 PM   #78
linds15
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
that sucks. I will have to wait for thunderbolt display version 3 when they decide to put it back.
i've been waiting for the new thunderbolt, just the fact that it probably won't be VESA like the new imac is reason enough to not get it. i never cared about the thinness (don't really care its a monitor), but i liked how it had less glare
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.6, 16GB Crucial Ram, 256 Samsung 830 SSD 2012 MBA 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 128SSD JB iPhone 5 32GB JB iPad 2 32GB ATV3
Cord Cutter w/NBA, NHL, & NFL
linds15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:47 PM   #79
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by linds15 View Post
i've been waiting for the new thunderbolt, just the fact that it probably won't be VESA like the new imac is reason enough to not get it. i never cared about the thinness (don't really care its a monitor), but i liked how it had less glare
No VESA is a show stopper for me. I have my 2 TBD displays mounted to the wall. I personally think they will have a slightly modified case to support mounts - it can't be all that difficult to design.
__________________
11" MacBook Air 2014 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 128GB | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPhone 5S
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #80
linds15
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
No VESA is a show stopper for me. I have my 2 TBD displays mounted to the wall. I personally think they will have a slightly modified case to support mounts - it can't be all that difficult to design.
i just dont understand why they would take it away, if they had a stand that was highly customizable, then i could start understanding, but this is not the case. the modifications in which the stand is still attached is not something i would even consider
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.6, 16GB Crucial Ram, 256 Samsung 830 SSD 2012 MBA 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 128SSD JB iPhone 5 32GB JB iPad 2 32GB ATV3
Cord Cutter w/NBA, NHL, & NFL
linds15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:42 AM   #81
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx55 View Post
Here is the deal by March 2013:

Apple Mac Pro with Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor (60 cores/240 threads per card; up to 8 cards per host computer) besides the logic board full CPU Xeon processors (2 x 10 = 20 cores), of course.
4x4TB=16TB 7200 RPM HD inside - 4x5TB=40TB by end 2013.
Now, that is a personal SuperComputer!
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...sor-brief.html

Apple Thunderbolt Display with USB 3
Hopefully with a matte option, even if more expensive. Because the glossy one is a serious health and productivity issue for many.
Probably more like fall, 2013 for the display and still a big "if" for the MP.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #82
Outrigger
macrumors 65816
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
No VESA is a show stopper for me. I have my 2 TBD displays mounted to the wall. I personally think they will have a slightly modified case to support mounts - it can't be all that difficult to design.
You would think, but if they didn't do it for the imac, which I'm sure its due to size constraint, why would they spend additional R&D money to modify the new TBD? I think if you think the new TBD will have a modified case to support mounts, then you will be sorely disappointed.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:59 PM   #83
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
You would think, but if they didn't do it for the imac, which I'm sure its due to size constraint, why would they spend additional R&D money to modify the new TBD? I think if you think the new TBD will have a modified case to support mounts, then you will be sorely disappointed.
iMac has a whole computer built into the back of the display.. The TB display is just the display, so it certainly won't be using the exact same case as the iMac, VESA or not. It's not inconceivable they will retain VESA support just for the displays. Time will tell.
__________________
11" MacBook Air 2014 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 128GB | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPhone 5S
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #84
andy9l
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England, UK
I realise this is a reasonably old thread, but have there been any further developments on this?

I read the rumours of shortages, but places seem to be back in stock now, in the UK at least. Almost as if they've decided to push the refresh back again?

I'm about to buy a 15" rMBP, but need the TBD with it (replacing a 27" iMac). Obviously the 15" has been *erhm* "updated" this week, but I'm not committing to the purchase until the new TBD is out. I have a chunky discount until end of June ... which is creeping up fast! Really hope they sort out whatever problems they've got by then!
__________________
Macs: 27" iMac, OWC SSD; 15" MBP, Samsung 840 SSD
Devices: iPhone 5s; iPad 2
andy9l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #85
badcrc32
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9l View Post
I realise this is a reasonably old thread, but have there been any further developments on this?

I read the rumours of shortages, but places seem to be back in stock now, in the UK at least. Almost as if they've decided to push the refresh back again?

I'm about to buy a 15" rMBP, but need the TBD with it (replacing a 27" iMac). Obviously the 15" has been *erhm* "updated" this week, but I'm not committing to the purchase until the new TBD is out. I have a chunky discount until end of June ... which is creeping up fast! Really hope they sort out whatever problems they've got by then!
How was the 15"rMBP updated?
badcrc32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:54 PM   #86
andy9l
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England, UK
100MHz clock speed increase across the 13"-15" retina range (except the lowest 13" retina model).
__________________
Macs: 27" iMac, OWC SSD; 15" MBP, Samsung 840 SSD
Devices: iPhone 5s; iPad 2
andy9l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:55 PM   #87
boatcapt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I just went ahead and bought the TBD and will figure out what to do if/when the new one is released. I couldn't stand it anymore! lol It's expensive, but I'm enjoying it.
boatcapt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:43 AM   #88
andy9l
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
I just went ahead and bought the TBD and will figure out what to do if/when the new one is released. I couldn't stand it anymore! lol It's expensive, but I'm enjoying it.
If it's not out at end of April, I'll probably do the same. It's stupid that it's not out yet...handing out free adapters as a temporary fix? Not what you'd expect for what is essentially a 900 screen.
__________________
Macs: 27" iMac, OWC SSD; 15" MBP, Samsung 840 SSD
Devices: iPhone 5s; iPad 2
andy9l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #89
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9l View Post
If it's not out at end of April, I'll probably do the same. It's stupid that it's not out yet...handing out free adapters as a temporary fix? Not what you'd expect for what is essentially a 900 screen.
Not that stupid when you consider the screens are what are keeping the current iMac backlog so huge. I'm sure Apple would love to release a new TB display, but the yields for the new screens are so incredibly low. Bad supply chain management if you ask me. I understand the need for progress, but damn. Clearly they weren't ready. Cook should have known better.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #90
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816
 
PatriotInvasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9l View Post
If it's not out at end of April, I'll probably do the same. It's stupid that it's not out yet...handing out free adapters as a temporary fix? Not what you'd expect for what is essentially a 900 screen.
Yea, that free dongle is an embarrassment for Apple at this point with all of their notebooks being updated with MagSafe 2 aside from the cMBP's.

I'd say most people in the market for a Thunderbolt Display bite the bullet when they buy a new MBP as you get the benefit of adding the display to AppleCare for free and can include the cost with the Barclaycard Financing.

Seeing that "thick" display alongside the new iMacs in the Apple Store is also silly --- I can't imagine they are selling many of them now. So ready for the update!
__________________
27-inch iMac [Late 2013, 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, 8GB of memory, 256GB of flash storage], iPad Air [16GB, silver], iPhone 5s [16GB, silver], Time Capsule [1TB, A1355, 3rd Generation]
PatriotInvasion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:25 PM   #91
boatcapt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I was going to wait, but my local best buy gave me 15% discount because I bought my MBP there. So I got the current model for $850.
boatcapt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #92
andy9l
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Not that stupid when you consider the screens are what are keeping the current iMac backlog so huge. I'm sure Apple would love to release a new TB display, but the yields for the new screens are so incredibly low. Bad supply chain management if you ask me. I understand the need for progress, but damn. Clearly they weren't ready. Cook should have known better.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Yea, that free dongle is an embarrassment for Apple at this point with all of their notebooks being updated with MagSafe 2 aside from the cMBP's.
It's just not very...Apple-like...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
I'd say most people in the market for a Thunderbolt Display bite the bullet when they buy a new MBP as you get the benefit of adding the display to AppleCare for free and can include the cost with the Barclaycard Financing.
I'm in the market for a top-spec 13", or potentially mid-range 15" MBP right now...but the hell am I buying it without a TBD. I'm not the most "knowledgeable" guy with regards to Apple releases, so I can only assume they're losing business with a number of people in my situation - people waiting for the new TBD before buying a MBP/MBA(?).

I mean, if the TBD gets updated much later...I'll be waiting for Haswell chips. Again, I can't imagine I'm the only guy in the world who will be doing this. It's just the obvious choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Seeing that "thick" display alongside the new iMacs in the Apple Store is also silly --- I can't imagine they are selling many of them now. So ready for the update!
I wouldn't mind the thickness (they have always had better cooling systems than the iMacs, I'm told)...it's the fact you need to "hack" it to enable a setup that you paid 2500+ for. It's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
I was going to wait, but my local best buy gave me 15% discount because I bought my MBP there. So I got the current model for $850.
That's your choice. Even at 50% off, I wouldn't be happy with it becomes outdated in a month or two, and there's absolutely nothing I can do other than buy another one. 75% off, I might take it!
__________________
Macs: 27" iMac, OWC SSD; 15" MBP, Samsung 840 SSD
Devices: iPhone 5s; iPad 2
andy9l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:51 AM   #93
eron
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
I was going to wait, but my local best buy gave me 15% discount because I bought my MBP there. So I got the current model for $850.
Good deal! I would have bought it at that price too! Also a good sign that a new one is coming!

I've been trying to monitor stock levels. At Apple Online, it's 3-5 business days to deliver at the moment. Once that stretches, surely you know it's coming.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9l View Post
That's your choice. Even at 50% off, I wouldn't be happy with it becomes outdated in a month or two, and there's absolutely nothing I can do other than buy another one. 75% off, I might take it!
Haha. At 50% off, I would buy it. When a new one comes, I can still sell the old one at a profit, and buy the new one.
eron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 AM   #94
andy9l
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
Good deal! I would have bought it at that price too! Also a good sign that a new one is coming!

I've been trying to monitor stock levels. At Apple Online, it's 3-5 business days to deliver at the moment. Once that stretches, surely you know it's coming.

----------



Haha. At 50% off, I would buy it. When a new one comes, I can still sell the old one at a profit, and buy the new one.
Think it'll be a month or two yet

Urgh, selling expensive stuff on the Internet is so much effort!
__________________
Macs: 27" iMac, OWC SSD; 15" MBP, Samsung 840 SSD
Devices: iPhone 5s; iPad 2
andy9l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:17 AM   #95
thomamon
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I am just waiting for the Retina display to become available before I purchase mine.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #96
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
I am just waiting for the Retina display to become available before I purchase mine.
You're gonna be waiting a few more years then.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:41 AM   #97
thomamon
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
You're gonna be waiting a few more years then.
I just bought a Dell Monitor to hold me over... It will have to due until then. Hoping for end of 2014?
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #98
boatcapt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
At $850 I can get close to getting my money back I think and then apply that to the newest version if I choose too.
boatcapt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:15 PM   #99
tangfj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
My local best buy price matched for me to Fry's (at $799) and I had a several reward zone certificates as well so I ended up paying about $600 for a brand new TBD. If you have a BB near you it's worth a shot asking if they price match to Fry's.

I considered getting a dell u2713 but when I got this deal I couldn't pass it up. Plus I think the TBD will have better resale value somewhere down the line... I recently sold my old Dell 2408wfp and 2407wfp and it was impossible to find people interested in buying. When it comes to apple there's always a market for people looking to buy used stuff.
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:20 PM   #100
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm considering buying the current TB Display with my AmEx since it'll have 90 day return protection. The question is whether the new TB Displays will be out within 90 days. Hmmm.

This Asus monitor looks like crap.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbolt 2 Display Release Date? rainbowsofwhite Mac Peripherals 269 Apr 27, 2014 09:05 PM
Will Apple release a 4K Thunderbolt Cinema Display Soon? Anto38x Mac Peripherals 2 Mar 9, 2014 11:48 AM
Will Apple release a 'Thunderbolt 2' Display with the new Mac Pro? motegi Mac Pro 19 Dec 17, 2013 07:38 PM
Apple halting Thunderbolt Display shipments to resellers ahead of new Mac Pro release Relznuk Mac Pro 12 Jun 26, 2013 02:13 PM
Thunderbolt Display or Apple Cinema Display BRyken Mac mini 20 Dec 8, 2012 10:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC