Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:00 PM   #76
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
It probably will be based off the new iMac and not be VESA compatible. Sorry. I would be completely shocked if they made a different shell for the iMac and one for the ATD.
Unfortunately, I totally agree. The new one will probably not have the VESA mount.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 PM   #77
Acorn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
Unfortunately, I totally agree. The new one will probably not have the VESA mount.
that sucks. I will have to wait for thunderbolt display version 3 when they decide to put it back.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:17 PM   #78
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
that sucks. I will have to wait for thunderbolt display version 3 when they decide to put it back.
i've been waiting for the new thunderbolt, just the fact that it probably won't be VESA like the new imac is reason enough to not get it. i never cared about the thinness (don't really care its a monitor), but i liked how it had less glare
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:47 PM   #79
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by linds15 View Post
i've been waiting for the new thunderbolt, just the fact that it probably won't be VESA like the new imac is reason enough to not get it. i never cared about the thinness (don't really care its a monitor), but i liked how it had less glare
No VESA is a show stopper for me. I have my 2 TBD displays mounted to the wall. I personally think they will have a slightly modified case to support mounts - it can't be all that difficult to design.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #80
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
No VESA is a show stopper for me. I have my 2 TBD displays mounted to the wall. I personally think they will have a slightly modified case to support mounts - it can't be all that difficult to design.
i just dont understand why they would take it away, if they had a stand that was highly customizable, then i could start understanding, but this is not the case. the modifications in which the stand is still attached is not something i would even consider
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:42 AM   #81
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx55 View Post
Here is the deal by March 2013:

Apple Mac Pro with Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor (60 cores/240 threads per card; up to 8 cards per host computer) besides the logic board full CPU Xeon processors (2 x 10 = 20 cores), of course.
4x4TB=16TB 7200 RPM HD inside - 4x5TB=40TB by end 2013.
Now, that is a personal SuperComputer!
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...sor-brief.html

Apple Thunderbolt Display with USB 3
Hopefully with a matte option, even if more expensive. Because the glossy one is a serious health and productivity issue for many.
Probably more like fall, 2013 for the display and still a big "if" for the MP.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #82
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
You would think, but if they didn't do it for the imac, which I'm sure its due to size constraint, why would they spend additional R&D money to modify the new TBD? I think if you think the new TBD will have a modified case to support mounts, then you will be sorely disappointed.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:59 PM   #83
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
You would think, but if they didn't do it for the imac, which I'm sure its due to size constraint, why would they spend additional R&D money to modify the new TBD? I think if you think the new TBD will have a modified case to support mounts, then you will be sorely disappointed.
iMac has a whole computer built into the back of the display.. The TB display is just the display, so it certainly won't be using the exact same case as the iMac, VESA or not. It's not inconceivable they will retain VESA support just for the displays. Time will tell.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #84
andy9l
macrumors 6502a

I realise this is a reasonably old thread, but have there been any further developments on this?

I read the rumours of shortages, but places seem to be back in stock now, in the UK at least. Almost as if they've decided to push the refresh back again?

I'm about to buy a 15" rMBP, but need the TBD with it (replacing a 27" iMac). Obviously the 15" has been *erhm* "updated" this week, but I'm not committing to the purchase until the new TBD is out. I have a chunky discount until end of June ... which is creeping up fast! Really hope they sort out whatever problems they've got by then!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #85
badcrc32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9l View Post
I realise this is a reasonably old thread, but have there been any further developments on this?

I read the rumours of shortages, but places seem to be back in stock now, in the UK at least. Almost as if they've decided to push the refresh back again?

I'm about to buy a 15" rMBP, but need the TBD with it (replacing a 27" iMac). Obviously the 15" has been *erhm* "updated" this week, but I'm not committing to the purchase until the new TBD is out. I have a chunky discount until end of June ... which is creeping up fast! Really hope they sort out whatever problems they've got by then!
How was the 15"rMBP updated?
badcrc32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:54 PM   #86
andy9l
macrumors 6502a

100MHz clock speed increase across the 13"-15" retina range (except the lowest 13" retina model).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:55 PM   #87
boatcapt
macrumors member

I just went ahead and bought the TBD and will figure out what to do if/when the new one is released. I couldn't stand it anymore! lol It's expensive, but I'm enjoying it.
boatcapt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:43 AM   #88
andy9l
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
I just went ahead and bought the TBD and will figure out what to do if/when the new one is released. I couldn't stand it anymore! lol It's expensive, but I'm enjoying it.
If it's not out at end of April, I'll probably do the same. It's stupid that it's not out yet...handing out free adapters as a temporary fix? Not what you'd expect for what is essentially a 900 screen.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #89
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If it's not out at end of April, I'll probably do the same. It's stupid that it's not out yet...handing out free adapters as a temporary fix? Not what you'd expect for what is essentially a 900 screen.
Not that stupid when you consider the screens are what are keeping the current iMac backlog so huge. I'm sure Apple would love to release a new TB display, but the yields for the new screens are so incredibly low. Bad supply chain management if you ask me. I understand the need for progress, but damn. Clearly they weren't ready. Cook should have known better.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #90
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yea, that free dongle is an embarrassment for Apple at this point with all of their notebooks being updated with MagSafe 2 aside from the cMBP's.

I'd say most people in the market for a Thunderbolt Display bite the bullet when they buy a new MBP as you get the benefit of adding the display to AppleCare for free and can include the cost with the Barclaycard Financing.

Seeing that "thick" display alongside the new iMacs in the Apple Store is also silly --- I can't imagine they are selling many of them now. So ready for the update!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:25 PM   #91
boatcapt
macrumors member

I was going to wait, but my local best buy gave me 15% discount because I bought my MBP there. So I got the current model for $850.
boatcapt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #92
andy9l
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Not that stupid when you consider the screens are what are keeping the current iMac backlog so huge. I'm sure Apple would love to release a new TB display, but the yields for the new screens are so incredibly low. Bad supply chain management if you ask me. I understand the need for progress, but damn. Clearly they weren't ready. Cook should have known better.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Yea, that free dongle is an embarrassment for Apple at this point with all of their notebooks being updated with MagSafe 2 aside from the cMBP's.
It's just not very...Apple-like...?

Quote:
I'd say most people in the market for a Thunderbolt Display bite the bullet when they buy a new MBP as you get the benefit of adding the display to AppleCare for free and can include the cost with the Barclaycard Financing.
I'm in the market for a top-spec 13", or potentially mid-range 15" MBP right now...but the hell am I buying it without a TBD. I'm not the most "knowledgeable" guy with regards to Apple releases, so I can only assume they're losing business with a number of people in my situation - people waiting for the new TBD before buying a MBP/MBA(?).

I mean, if the TBD gets updated much later...I'll be waiting for Haswell chips. Again, I can't imagine I'm the only guy in the world who will be doing this. It's just the obvious choice.

Quote:
Seeing that "thick" display alongside the new iMacs in the Apple Store is also silly --- I can't imagine they are selling many of them now. So ready for the update!
I wouldn't mind the thickness (they have always had better cooling systems than the iMacs, I'm told)...it's the fact you need to "hack" it to enable a setup that you paid 2500+ for. It's disgusting.

Quote:
I was going to wait, but my local best buy gave me 15% discount because I bought my MBP there. So I got the current model for $850.
That's your choice. Even at 50% off, I wouldn't be happy with it becomes outdated in a month or two, and there's absolutely nothing I can do other than buy another one. 75% off, I might take it!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:51 AM   #93
eron
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Good deal! I would have bought it at that price too! Also a good sign that a new one is coming!

I've been trying to monitor stock levels. At Apple Online, it's 3-5 business days to deliver at the moment. Once that stretches, surely you know it's coming.

----------

Quote:
That's your choice. Even at 50% off, I wouldn't be happy with it becomes outdated in a month or two, and there's absolutely nothing I can do other than buy another one. 75% off, I might take it!
Haha. At 50% off, I would buy it. When a new one comes, I can still sell the old one at a profit, and buy the new one.
eron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 AM   #94
andy9l
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
Good deal! I would have bought it at that price too! Also a good sign that a new one is coming!

I've been trying to monitor stock levels. At Apple Online, it's 3-5 business days to deliver at the moment. Once that stretches, surely you know it's coming.

----------

Haha. At 50% off, I would buy it. When a new one comes, I can still sell the old one at a profit, and buy the new one.
Think it'll be a month or two yet

Urgh, selling expensive stuff on the Internet is so much effort!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:17 AM   #95
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

I am just waiting for the Retina display to become available before I purchase mine.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #96
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
I am just waiting for the Retina display to become available before I purchase mine.
You're gonna be waiting a few more years then.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:41 AM   #97
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
You're gonna be waiting a few more years then.
I just bought a Dell Monitor to hold me over... It will have to due until then. Hoping for end of 2014?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #98
boatcapt
macrumors member

At $850 I can get close to getting my money back I think and then apply that to the newest version if I choose too.
boatcapt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:15 PM   #99
tangfj
macrumors member

My local best buy price matched for me to Fry's (at $799) and I had a several reward zone certificates as well so I ended up paying about $600 for a brand new TBD. If you have a BB near you it's worth a shot asking if they price match to Fry's.

I considered getting a dell u2713 but when I got this deal I couldn't pass it up. Plus I think the TBD will have better resale value somewhere down the line... I recently sold my old Dell 2408wfp and 2407wfp and it was impossible to find people interested in buying. When it comes to apple there's always a market for people looking to buy used stuff.
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:20 PM   #100
NMF
macrumors 6502a

I'm considering buying the current TB Display with my AmEx since it'll have 90 day return protection. The question is whether the new TB Displays will be out within 90 days. Hmmm.

This Asus monitor looks like crap.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals