Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I would look at getting a Roku and use the free Plex channel. Plays any .mkv file easily with no conversion necessary. (it does require Plex server running on your PC). Keep the AppleTV for iTunes or viewing free YouTube movie channels like Crackle. Stopped using XBMC when I sold my 1st gen ATV and started using Plex. With an inexpensive Roku streamer, no more time consuming pain in the :eek::apple: file conversions necessary.

yeah already tried this route and everytime i start watching a movie on the Roku/Plex it will start playing for a few mins and then either freeze or say it's unavail.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I've been using an app from the Mac App Store called MKV2M4V. Despite it's name, I've found that .M4V files from it don't like to play in iTunes, but it gives you the option of .MP4 which seems to work fine.

I think the app cost a few bucks (like $5 if I remember right) and it took a bit to find the settings that worked consistently with iTunes.

Once I got it set right, it's drag and drop, even multiple .MKV files, hit start and wait. Large 1080P files take 10-15 minutes on my 2.0 quad core mini. Smaller videos are a fraction of that. In contrast, re-encoding the same 1080P files in Handbrake takes 4-5 hours.

There's no quality loss but the files remain very large. For the record, I see no difference in quality between these and a Handbrake ATV3 preset encode. Handbrake cuts down the size, but takes a lot more time.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've been using an app from the Mac App Store called MKV2M4V. Despite it's name, I've found that .M4V files from it don't like to play in iTunes, but it gives you the option of .MP4 which seems to work fine.

I think the app cost a few bucks (like $5 if I remember right) and it took a bit to find the settings that worked consistently with iTunes.

Once I got it set right, it's drag and drop, even multiple .MKV files, hit start and wait. Large 1080P files take 10-15 minutes on my 2.0 quad core mini. Smaller videos are a fraction of that. In contrast, re-encoding the same 1080P files in Handbrake takes 4-5 hours.

There's no quality loss but the files remain very large. For the record, I see no difference in quality between these and a Handbrake ATV3 preset encode. Handbrake cuts down the size, but takes a lot more time.

Basically, it's a nice and cheap app but has some major problems; for example,

- the app can't transfer (by reencoding if needed) more than two original audio tracks. This is a major problem if you want to retain, say, all the commentary tracks of a video. For example, the well-known Finnish sci-fi parody “Iron Sky” has two commentary tracks (Finnish and English) and two main audio tracks (one 5.1 and one 2-channel AC-3 tracks, having the same audio). This is at least three tracks if you want to preserve both commentaries, along with either of the main audio tracks.

- there is absolutely no support for embedded subtitles at all. It only supports external SRT subs, which means you need to extract them first with, say, Subler. This, should you want to use this app in batch mode, would result in a lot of additional work. (Needless to say, top remuxers like the most recommended MP4Tools and Subler both support embedded subtracks. Actually, Subler even supports their bitmap versions too – both OCR'ing and pass-through'ing-wise.)

(More info in my just-posted review & benchmark at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16456054).

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
If it is a 720p video I would just say download the app AirVideo and then download the free desktop software. Use that to convert all 720 videos. I use it all the time and it is so simple to convert videos. Usually takes about as long as the video is to convert, granted maybe on a faster, more powerful computer it would happen faster. I am still working on a dual core 2.1 Ghz laptop.

I have used Handbrake and while it does work well, it takes forever on my computer. So I typically stick with the AirVideo app. You setup the conversion using the app on your iPhone, iPod, or ipad. Plus the app streams video content from any folder you give the desktop program access to. It also does live conversions so those mkv files you have you can still watch without having to convert, atleast on the ipad. I guess you could set your ipad or iPhone up to live convert the file and then AirPlay the feed to the Apple TV. Might buffer from time to time though due to streaming and converting at the same time, depending on computer's power.

Unfortunately it does not convert 1080p movies to 1080p. You can always convert them to 720p. That is the only issue I have with the program but for me it is a small price to pay. I am not a hardcore videophile where it has to be perfect with 5.1 or 7.1 sound, etc.... As long as it sounds good and the video doesn't look like ***** I am happy.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
one word. SUBLER. http://code.google.com/p/subler/

Subler will remux MKV to MP4 without re-encoding the entire video. It also will add subtitles and metadata if you want it to. I used to use MP4Tools but found Subler to be much easier.

BTW, in what way did you find MP4Tools hard? IMHO, once you learn how to use the batch mode, it's more powerful than Subler. Too bad it has some disadvantages like lack of chapter support.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
BTW, in what way did you find MP4Tools hard? IMHO, once you learn how to use the batch mode, it's more powerful than Subler. Too bad it has some disadvantages like lack of chapter support.

Not saying it was hard to use, but for my purposes Subler does everything I need it to. I don't use batch mode, but if I did I would have no reservations using MP4Tools again.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Here is a command line option that will go through a directory and convert all the mkv's to mp4's with no quality loss and only takes a couple minutes per file. There is a bit of setup to get it to go, but that is a one time thing:

1: install Xcode: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

2: install the CLI tools in Xcode: Launch Xcode -> Preferences -> Downloads

3: Install Quartz: (Only required on Mountain Lion I believe, but do it anyway): http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

4: Install Homebrew: http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
4a: Update Homebrew, open terminal and type the following command (you will need to enter your password)

Code:
sudo brew update

5. Install ffmpeg (this is what we were aiming for the entire time)
Code:
sudo brew install ffmpeg

All the above are only required once. What we've done here is setup a repository that will allow you to install pretty much any open source software, then installed the ffmpeg command that is going to do all our magic.

Now just run this command (remember to change the directory name to the one that has your mkv's in it)

Code:
for f in <DIRECTORY>/*.mkv; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec copy "${f%.mkv}.mp4"; done

you will have to run that in each directory with video files, it doesn't go through sub-directorys. However it will convert all your files with no loss of quality. A little work, but still easier than going file by file with some of the other methods

This method works but it doesn't do subtitles. Is there an additional command to do that?

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Use Subler if you just want to change the container. Use HandBrake if you want to transcode it. Subler is written by ritsuka who is a handbrake developer. It is not hard and both are free.

This comment saved my life. Ignore every comment in this thread bar this one. It solved it for me.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Handbrake can't read the mind of an iPad; it has no intrinsic knowledge of what the iPad expects, based on just the identification of the container format. If Handbrake works, that is either completely by accident, nothing more than coincidence, or some French Handbrake engineer took the time to specifically massage it to work directly with the iPad. We hope one or the other happened; we just don't really know if either of them did until we try Handbrake...

LOL. sorry to finally reply to this ... but its a hoot! No, it was not a French HandBrake engineer and yes the presets in HB have all been tested to near exhaustion on said devices. Hence the fact there are not more device presets in HB. They only exist if a developer personally uses said device and tests ... and tests .. and (rinse, repeat). I just thought it was kind of funny. :)
Come to think of it there aren't any active French devs for HB that I know of ;)

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Just use iVI, the easiest software on the planet. Just drop the file and off you go, it even downloads the metadata from the net.

(Just make sure to enable passthrough in the settings).

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Question
If I convert my 500gb mkv collection to mp4 using one of these programs

I have the following
Apple TV 3
AirPort Extreme
2 External hardrive 3tb not a nas
Mac mini

Now is there a way I can watch my converted mp4 movies on my Apple TV with the Mac mini off ?
Using my current setup

My other option is to leave the Mac mini on 24/7 , I'm ok with that
But I would like to leave the mac in guest account when I'm not using it , and in this guest account I only want the iTunes folder on the external drive to be visible , is this possible to do ?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Question
If I convert my 500gb mkv collection to mp4 using one of these programs

I have the following
Apple TV 3
AirPort Extreme
2 External hardrive 3tb not a nas
Mac mini

Now is there a way I can watch my converted mp4 movies on my Apple TV with the Mac mini off ?
Using my current setup

My other option is to leave the Mac mini on 24/7 , I'm ok with that
But I would like to leave the mac in guest account when I'm not using it , and in this guest account I only want the iTunes folder on the external drive to be visible , is this possible to do ?
Something has to feed the aTV. The mini, which is running iTunes, has to be left running. On the guest account: I think you can use it, but I have no direct knowledge as I have never used one and am not sure as to Guest Account restrictions.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Two fool-proof options:

1) if the MKV can simply be remuxed (it's already encoded with h.264), use MP4Tools (and many have also said good things about Subler)

2) if it can't be remuxed and needs to be transcoded, use Handbrake

Both of these programs have presets for AppleTV, both are dead simple to use, both are free (or you can donate to their causes).

End of thread.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Two fool-proof options:

1) if the MKV can simply be remuxed (it's already encoded with h.264), use MP4Tools (and many have also said good things about Subler)

2) if it can't be remuxed and needs to be transcoded, use Handbrake

Both of these programs have presets for AppleTV, both are dead simple to use, both are free (or you can donate to their causes).

End of thread.

This is my first time trying to use something other then hand break. I am using MP4tools to "remux" from a .mk4 to a .m4v

I have all of the settings correct (i think) but the file ends up being just 466 mb (source file was 4.69 gb). Any idea what i am doing wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 9.51.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 9.51.00 PM.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 177

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
get this app on the Mac called "Beamer". drop the mkv file in, streams the movie over to Apple TV. no conversion needed, perfect HD quality with surround sound.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
This is my first time trying to use something other then hand break. I am using MP4tools to "remux" from a .mk4 to a .m4v

I have all of the settings correct (i think) but the file ends up being just 466 mb (source file was 4.69 gb). Any idea what i am doing wrong.

try mkvtools instead of mp4tools

i use mkvtools for muxin mkv to mp4 and i odnt see that apple tv 2 device in my program, maybe that is your problem

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
try mkvtools instead of mp4tools

i use mkvtools for muxin mkv to mp4 and i odnt see that apple tv 2 device in my program, maybe that is your problem
I don't think mkvtools converts mkv to mp4 anymore. The developer moved that functionality to the mp4tools app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.