Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Can I put in a Verizon sim to check if it's unlocked?

Or a T-mobile sim that's inactivated?

What will it say in the top left corner?

Thanks in advance.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm pretty certain a Verizon SIM won't work as the GSM iPhone 5 lacks the CDMA hardware, scold me if I'm wrong. And yeah, if you've been told it's unlocked then a T-Mobile SIM should work and I believe it will say "T-Mobile" in the top left.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I'm pretty certain a Verizon SIM won't work as the GSM iPhone 5 lacks the CDMA hardware, scold me if I'm wrong. And yeah, if you've been told it's unlocked then a T-Mobile SIM should work and I believe it will say "T-Mobile" in the top left.

I read a Verizon iPhone 5 will work with an AT&T sim :(

And will it say tmobile even if the sim is unactivated?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice and the AT&T iPhone 5 does not have a CDMA radio.

Makes sense.

I'm glad gsm is global makes unlocking an AT&T iPhone 5 worth it.

Does anyone know what my carrier will say if I purchase an unactivated t mobile sim to check if I'm unlocked?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Makes sense.

I'm glad gsm is global makes unlocking an AT&T iPhone 5 worth it.

Does anyone know what my carrier will say if I purchase an unactivated t mobile sim to check if I'm unlocked?

AT&T wouldn't say anything about putting a T-mobile sim into the iPhone. Someday, they may contact you (unlikely) about why your iPhone got unlocked on contract--but it wouldn't be specifically because you swapped the sim.

I tested using an activated T-mobile sim and could send and receive texts, calls and data.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
AT&T wouldn't say anything about putting a T-mobile sim into the iPhone. Someday, they may contact you (unlikely) about why your iPhone got unlocked on contract--but it wouldn't be specifically because you swapped the sim.

I tested using an activated T-mobile sim and could send and receive texts, calls and data.

I don't care to use t mobile. I like AT&T's LTE and service.

But I want to check if its unlocked with a t mobile sim.

I hope it'll still work even if the t mobile sim is inactivated.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
It will still say Tmobile.

it will say No Service FYI....why would a unactivated SIM say T-Mobile on the top left....without signal bars....without service....

there's two of you that said it will say "T-Mobile" maybe u should do some research b4 misguiding ppl:)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
it will say No Service FYI....why would a unactivated SIM say T-Mobile on the top left....without signal bars....without service....

there's two of you that said it will say "T-Mobile" maybe u should do some research b4 misguiding ppl:)

Unactivated Tmobile sims DO say T-Mobile. I actually work for Tmobile so I see this everyday. The brand new ones we sell will say Tmobile at the top left when put into an iPhone even though service has not been activated yet. If you try to place a call it will direct you to customer care to activate the SIM card.

Don't confuse brand new unactivated SIM cards with a used deactivated SIM. A deactivated SIM will say 'no service' and if you try to place a call it won't do anything.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Unactivated Tmobile sims DO say T-Mobile. I actually work for Tmobile so I see this everyday. The brand new ones we sell will say Tmobile at the top left when put into an iPhone even though service has not been activated yet. If you try to place a call it will direct you to customer care to activate the SIM card.

Don't confuse brand new unactivated SIM cards with a used deactivated SIM. A deactivated SIM will say 'no service' and if you try to place a call it won't do anything.

Ok great.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

Thats something new its been a while since I used a T-mobile SIM, Last one I had was back little over a year ago and it didnt say T-Mobile, thanks for clarifying.

kevrunner

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013

Is this still the case? I just unlocked (confirmed unlocked with Apple) an AT&T iPhone 5 and am have an unactivated T-Mobile nano-sim in it currently. Unfortunately, it is showing up with no signal in the top left instead of T-Mobile. Both through T-Mobile chat and calling the store they said the sim needs to be activated with a number in order to pick up the signal.

Can anyone provide a final verdict?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Is this still the case? I just unlocked (confirmed unlocked with Apple) an AT&T iPhone 5 and am have an unactivated T-Mobile nano-sim in it currently. Unfortunately, it is showing up with no signal in the top left instead of T-Mobile. Both through T-Mobile chat and calling the store they said the sim needs to be activated with a number in order to pick up the signal.

Can anyone provide a final verdict?

an unactivated SIM card, when inserted into an unlocked iphone will say "No Service". the phone will recognize the fact that a SIM has been inserted as long as its unlocked. the only time it will show the carrier logo instead of "No Service" is if the card is active and connects/registers with a cell tower.

if you venture out of cell range, the phone will also say "No Service" instead of the carrier name, since its not connected to a tower anymore. same thing.

i have personally put my old at&t SIM card, which is deactivated, into my Verizon iphone 5. the phone will say "Searching.." then change to "No Service" once it sees the card inactive. however, in the phones about screen, it does indeed acknowledge the SIM as being at&t and says so in the carrier info part.

bottom line is the phone WILL NOT say the carrier name of the SIM card unless its active and connected to a tower, since thats where it gets the carrier identifier from.

Mwinder123

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013

I have an inactivated sim from tmobile and it does in fact say tmobile when I put the sim in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.