Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:51 AM   #26
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Never trust any company with your data unless you're sending it to them for data recovery. Don't you back up data or is the concern also one of downloaded applications and things?
I will be completely removing all information from my laptop before I send it in. I'll probably use disk utility to erase the SSD and then just reinstall the OS.
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:54 AM   #27
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
It will stay like that for 7 to 10 mins!!!
You may wish to edit the IMG tags to match the format below, obviously without the extra spaces. This allows for a slightly more sane preview size.


[ TIMG] [ /TIMG]

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
I will be completely removing all information from my laptop before I send it in. I'll probably use disk utility to erase the SSD and then just reinstall the OS.
That makes sense. I do the same. The one difference is I tend to run disk warrior as well after I reinstall.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:57 AM   #28
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You may wish to edit the IMG tags to match the format below, obviously without the extra spaces. This allows for a slightly more sane preview size.


[ TIMG] [ /TIMG]
Thanks!

Thumb resize.

Does anyone think I should remove my iCarbons skin before I take it in?

That black thing is a screen cover from Radtech by the way. I put it between the laptop when its closed. I use it to keep the skin from damaging my screen.

I'm just wondering if they would give me a hard time if I have this skin installed?
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 AM   #29
leman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
That black thing is a screen cover from Radtech by the way. I put it between the laptop when its closed. I use it to keep the skin from damaging my screen.
Using a keyboard cover can (and probably will) damage your display because of the extremely low clearance: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384
leman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:17 AM   #30
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Using a keyboard cover can (and probably will) damage your display because of the extremely low clearance: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384
Well that really sucks :-(

I love my cover!

I reckon i'll have to remove it...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
Well that really sucks :-(

I love my cover!

I reckon i'll have to remove it...
You know I actually called iCarbons about this issue and this is what they sent me in an email.

Dear iCarbons,

I currently have a iCarbons Black Carbon Fiber Skin for the top and bottom of my 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

I would really like to also purchase a keyboard and trackpad cover to complete the package, but lately I have heard that keyboard covers could possibly scratch the display on the new 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

I just wanted to know if this has been an issue with your product and should I consider this before purchasing your keyboard cover.

Thank You,
Ryan Seth Locklear

Hello Ryan,

We have not had any issues ourselves, nor had any complaints from customers regarding the keyboard skin affecting the screen of the macbook.

Since the skin is so thin, it does not even touch the screen.

Thanks,
Lisa
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:57 AM   #31
leman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
Well that really sucks :-(

I love my cover!

I reckon i'll have to remove it...
I don't think iCarbon will a problem here - I was more concerned about the 'black thing'
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:13 PM   #32
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
I don't think iCarbon will a problem here - I was more concerned about the 'black thing'
Oh really...

That's kinda funny because I actually used the black thing in order to protect the icarbons from damaging my screen.

So you're saying that having just the icarbons should be fine?
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:18 PM   #33
AdvocateUK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Never trust any company with your data unless you're sending it to them for data recovery. Don't you back up data or is the concern also one of downloaded applications and things?
I do have a Time Machine backup but tbh it's a pain in the arse to restore a whole SSD from a TM backup and if there's a chance Apple may wipe the SSD while repairing it I'd rather have a CCC backup ready just to re-image when I get it back.

Also, being a (part-time) photographer I have photos on here that I'm sure the subjects would rather random Apple employees didn't see (I'm a full time nurse, so work with a lot of women. I've been asked on more than one occasion to do special shoots of girls as presents for their partners. Being nurses, if these kind of pictures got onto the internet they could be struck off).

So as you can see I have a couple of issues about my data
AdvocateUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:32 PM   #34
leman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
So you're saying that having just the icarbons should be fine?
I have no idea - I don't use any kind of protection films on my rMBP, so I cannot comment on that. I was merely pointing out that you shouldn't put 'thick' covers (like the mat you use) between the keyboard and the display.
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:35 PM   #35
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvocateUK View Post

So as you can see I have a couple of issues about my data
That is completely understandable. They don't guarantee your data will remain intact, and I never make any assumptions when sending something in for service. It's easier to just avoid the situation.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:24 AM   #36
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
This is how bad it is...
...
Now I would consider that bad, wouldn't you?

----------

It will stay like that for 7 to 10 mins!!!
As others and myself have stated - take it in for repair/replacement. I mean you can continue complaining about it, but since you're within the warranty period why not correct the problem. I understand being without a computer may represent a hardship, but at some point it will be better for you to correct this problem.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:24 AM   #37
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
As others and myself have stated - take it in for repair/replacement. I mean you can continue complaining about it, but since you're within the warranty period why not correct the problem. I understand being without a computer may represent a hardship, but at some point it will be better for you to correct this problem.
I posted this update earlier. Thank you for the reminder though

Okay! Here is the update, I called Apple earlier today and I was able to get a Genius Appointment for 10am on Thursday.

Unfortunately, the nearest Apple Store is 2 and half hours away.

This Appointment better be worth it. I'm not driving that far and spending 50 dollars in fuel for nothing.

I will keep you guys updated on what happens. I've never punched a person before, but if a genius tells me that this is a normal issue.... (I hope they do) Cause I'll be giving one of them a broke jaw.

And when he sends me to court i'll just tell the judge it's a normal issue.
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #38
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
I will keep you guys updated on what happens. I've never punched a person before, but if a genius tells me that this is a normal issue.... (I hope they do) Cause I'll be giving one of them a broke jaw.

And when he sends me to court i'll just tell the judge it's a normal issue.
3 things:

1. As a former paramedic, my suggestion is that you pick a different career path. The health care industry could do well without one more person who would suggest doing harm to others (even if it's just a joke). Or ...

2. I recommend some anger management therapy, or some sort of meditative activity. Maybe when you make the trip into town to get the system looked at, you can also look into buying some scented candles or incense to help calm those nerves.

3. The Apple support article linked to in this thread refers to palm rests, not keyboard covers. They're two completely different things. You're already going against the Apple article's recommendation by having the iCarbons skin installed on the palm rest of your system.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #39
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
I posted this update earlier. Thank you for the reminder though
Oops, I missed that my bad
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 AM   #40
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by duervo View Post
3 things:

1. As a former paramedic, my suggestion is that you pick a different career path. The health care industry could do well without one more person who would suggest doing harm to others (even if it's just a joke). Or ...

2. I recommend some anger management therapy, or some sort of meditative activity. Maybe when you make the trip into town to get the system looked at, you can also look into buying some scented candles or incense to help calm those nerves.

3. The Apple support article linked to in this thread refers to palm rests, not keyboard covers. They're two completely different things. You're already going against the Apple article's recommendation by having the iCarbons skin installed on the palm rest of your system.
You're right that comment was totally uncalled for.

I edited the thread and removed the sections you are talking about.

I'm sorry if the offended anyone. I was being sarcastic, but I can see how that could easily cross the line.

Thank you for the rebuke :-)

By the way I didn't know about the iCarbons skin being a problem, you see I emailed the iCarbons company and asked them if it would be okay. In fact, I put their email response in this thread.

I also called Apple and asked them too, they said it would be okay too. Basically they told me the issue was the palm rest touching the screen when you close it. Also they had issues with the magnet not completely touching causing the screen to stay open. Since the rubber gasket around the glass sits on top of the iCarbons skin, they said it would be okay. So I was completely ignorant to the fact that the article would have included my iCarbons skin.

I've actually removed it since your response so I'm good to go now. My wife also bought me a Scentsy warmer after I told her about your response. Thank You :-)

Last edited by renosausage; Feb 6, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:29 AM   #41
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
You're right that comment was totally uncalled for.

I edited the thread and removed the sections you are talking about.

I'm sorry if the offended anyone. I was being sarcastic, but I can see how that could easily cross the line.

Thank you for the rebuke :-)

By the way I didn't know about the iCarbons skin being a problem, you see I emailed the iCarbons company and asked them if it would be okay. In fact, I put their email response in this thread.

I also called Apple and asked them too, they said it would be okay too. Basically they told me the issue was the palm rest touching the screen when you close it. Also they had issues with the magnet not completely touching causing the screen to stay open. Since the rubber gasket around the glass sits on top of the iCarbons skin, they said it would be okay. So I was completely ignorant to the fact that the article would have included my iCarbons skin.

I've actually removed it since your response so I'm good to go now. My wife also bought me a Scentsy warmer after I told her about your response. Thank You :-)
No worries Can't tell through text if you were serious or not before. I've personally came across some very mean health care workers in my travels, so I wasn't sure if you were one more or not. Good to see it isn't.

With a keyboard cover you should be fine. If the palm rest you're using isn't marking up the display, and not impeding the functionality of the magnets, then I wouldn't worry about it either.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:38 PM   #42
renosausage
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by duervo View Post
No worries Can't tell through text if you were serious or not before. I've personally came across some very mean health care workers in my travels, so I wasn't sure if you were one more or not. Good to see it isn't.

With a keyboard cover you should be fine. If the palm rest you're using isn't marking up the display, and not impeding the functionality of the magnets, then I wouldn't worry about it either.
Well it actually already has... I'm pretty sure it was because of that black thing I was using.

I clean that black thing everyday, but if particles find themselves between it and the screen then you are pretty much screwed :-(

I can see marks on my display if I look at it from a certain angle. They will not come off even after using iKlear solution and a good microfiber cloth.

So... I really messed up on that one, but if they replace the display because of the image retention then I can start fresh without any keyboard/palmrest protection.
renosausage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #43
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
Well it actually already has... I'm pretty sure it was because of that black thing I was using.

I clean that black thing everyday, but if particles find themselves between it and the screen then you are pretty much screwed :-(

I can see marks on my display if I look at it from a certain angle. They will not come off even after using iKlear solution and a good microfiber cloth.

So... I really messed up on that one, but if they replace the display because of the image retention then I can start fresh without any keyboard/palmrest protection.
Yeah, probably was that black foamy thing. If they replace the display it's not something I would want to risk with testing out to confirm. Best to just leave that area completely clear of skins/protectors, I suppose.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Maggot FF
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
People seriously thought he would break the guys jaw? Really? I don't even know how to respond to stuff like that...
__________________
15" retina MacBook - 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Best phone I've ever had.)
Maggot FF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:51 PM   #45
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816
 
M5RahuL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Everywhere I go...there I am !
Well most, if not all, LG screens develop IR [ some in days, others in weeks or months... ]

I hope the OP's screen gets replaced with a Sammy [ w/o stuck/dead pixels and uneven tint... Yes, all Samsungs aren't blessed by HIM ]

Driving 2 hrs to an Apple store is a bit excessive but since you're already headed that way, I guess I can see the logic going in person here. I would not leave until they fix that screen though!

Just remain calm, polite but persistent!!

Goodluck and keep us posted on the outcome!
__________________
15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iAir LTE iMini-R LTE
FS Mid '13 MBA i7`8`256 w/AppleCare thru late 2016! ; Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; iP6+ 64GB ; Note 3
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #46
AdvocateUK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
That is completely understandable. They don't guarantee your data will remain intact, and I never make any assumptions when sending something in for service. It's easier to just avoid the situation.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to clear some room on a drive for a CCC copy. With nearly 11TB at my disposable you'd think that would be easy, if only lol.
AdvocateUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:45 AM   #47
printz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I also have a MacBook Pro Retina with LG display. Since I saw the complaints on forums about it, I decided to test for ghosting by having Google open for about 10 minutes, and afterwards switching to a grey background. And indeed, there was a faint ghosting of the Google logo that went away quickly. Is it serious? Does it noticeably progress badly over four years? Do I really have to do a display replacement?

I bought it less than 2 weeks ago, maybe it's from a better batch?

Last edited by printz; Feb 7, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:03 AM   #48
James Craner
macrumors 68000
 
James Craner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristol, UK
If you bought it less then two weeks ago from Apple, you can get a straight swap. I would recommend that you do that while you are still in your two week return period. However that is no guarantee that your next one will have a perfect display. I suggest that you check out the replacement in store.
__________________
Productivity Orchard Be more productive with your Mac
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 AM   #49
printz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yeah well, I live in a country without Apple Stores, just some resellers whom nobody likes. And anyway my point was that the ghosting is too weak to be bothersome, almost "normal", and was wondering if it will progress. On testing that checkerboard pattern after only one minute, I saw no ghosting.
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:10 AM   #50
James Craner
macrumors 68000
 
James Craner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by printz View Post
Yeah well, I live in a country without Apple Stores, just some resellers whom nobody likes. And anyway my point was that the ghosting is too weak to be bothersome, almost "normal", and was wondering if it will progress. On testing that checkerboard pattern after only one minute, I saw no ghosting.
Ah ok. Well I did not notice Image retention on my rMBP until it was 5 months old, so I guess it had got worse since it's initial purchase. As they have only been around for 6 months or so, then no one really knows if they will continue to get worse with Age. Apple do say that IR is normal for these types of displays, however the image should not stay on the screen for long.
__________________
Productivity Orchard Be more productive with your Mac
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Poll: What is worse: Screen Retention/Burn-In, Yellowish Tint, Light Bleeding? BygSii iPad 7 Nov 20, 2013 12:50 PM
Image retention Azarias59 MacBook Pro 1 Jun 8, 2013 11:20 PM
does the 21 have image retention? Acorn iMac 0 Feb 28, 2013 03:18 AM
Possible cause image retention zipur MacBook Pro 1 Sep 17, 2012 12:52 AM
Does Image Retention Go Away? Textureboy MacBook Pro 1 Aug 14, 2012 11:46 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC