Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Best review yet: :D

My first impression is hate and annoyance as well. Visually, it looks like it regressed to the clunky, rudimentary iTunes of 10 years ago. There is less control & customization with views, and it seems like there is less access and control over things in general.

The new typeface is bad (it looks blurry!), and the extra space between lines/rows is super annoying to someone like me who has about 25,000 songs and a few dozen playlists to manage. I'm scrolling for days, people.

Also, I don't like the blackmail involved in making it easier to get album info/covers. I'm afraid to click Agree because you make it sound so freaking ominous to simply request updated album info. Do you want my firstborn or something?

Hey Apple: If you're going to mess with people's heads like this, don't do it in December. People have enough stress before the holidays; there's no need to add the stress of learning a different interface when you need to quickly manage your iPhone on the go.

This is just bad all around.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Whatever made Apple designers think that removing the Album list view (IMO the only really usable view in iTunes, no disrespect to coverflow lovers) was a good idea???

itunes_albumlist.jpg

And before anyone says "the current album view does just that" I say bollocks- it does not have customizable columns and has only 2 possible ways of sorting. And is distracting visually. And the artists view is no replacement either.

Last edited:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
LOL, it's not like iTunes 11 is not already pretty much hated even among the Apple faithfuls at the Apple Support Communities. Cursory browsing reveals these and countless other threads on the subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4557327?start=0&tstart=0

Read up and enjoy more great stories. MR is a IT11 lovefest compared to that place, lol.

i was commenting on his descriptive post. very helpful. but thank you for the link!

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
i don't like itunes 11. it's buggy, gui is awful, and i can't find the genius side bar. genius is turned on but it doesn't seem to be doing anything??

also those annoying arrows that show up to the right of the song name!! they are so annoying! i have zero use for them.

kendob1

macrumors newbie
Most of my immediate frustrations were fixed by going to the menu bar:

View > Show Status Bar
View > Show Sidebar

They brought back the colored sidebar icons that they killed in iTunes 10. This makes me happy. They also made it insanely easy to toggle whether you can see your iTunes Match songs not stored locally (View > Hide Music in the Cloud).

I actually prefer it now to iTunes 10. Although it is beyond me why they did not simply enable the above options automatically for those upgrading and force the questionable interface changes on the new people.

Two words. "You just made my day"

RayOSunshine

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I don't hate iTunes YET but it's fast becoming the most irritating component of my A/V system. I could write a novel about its crashes and how often home sharing drops out on my PC running iTunes.

Most recently, I downloaded an HD movie, flawlessly from the iTunes store after committing $20 to the Apple empire, and now after 45 minutes have yet to get it to play over my ATV gen 3. Last week I downloaded a huge movie file, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Directors Cut, HD and it downloaded and played flawlessly within minutes. Only difference is that I purchased the latter over ATV/iTunes Store while I simply downloaded the former directly from the iTunes store into iTunes on my PC.

I can play it perfectly on my PC that serves up iTunes and has a direct ethernet connection to my router. But then it can't be a wifi throughput issue. I just ran SpeedTest.net using my MBP as a surrogate for the ATV and it's running at nearly 25 Mbps. It's got to be an iTunes/ATV issue...doesn't it?

Talk me down from the ledge or else tell me which floor you guys are jumping from and we can all go toether. :(

/rant

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Do you mean with the sidebar? There's an option for that.

I didn't know. I saw your post, looked for it, found it under View > Show Sidebar, and enabled it. Am much happier now (iTunes 11 sucks a little less now). Thanks!

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
how do i unistall iTunes 11?

What are my options regarding other software i could use instead of iTunes?

Descarreaux

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Montréal South-shore
I hate it.

The only good new feature is up-next.

For music it is not to bad.

But for movies, after 2 months I still struggle to find the movie that I'm looking for.

If Steve was still there, those designers would be fired.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
itunes 11 you suck

What the hell was Apple thinking...no coverflow? yes I know Im late to the game on that one...

Also, much of my album art was lost with that update!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iTunes is a heaping pile of ******. Used it today to load a couple videos on to my phone. First time I did a sync it got hung up and so after 5 minute or so knowing it wouldn't finish I unhooked my phone. Of course then I has about a half dozen videos that weren't fully synced so had to re-sync. Except the time when I did it also synced apps even though I unchecked that box. So then my phone was full of a bunch of apps I only use on my iPad. Seriously iPad sucks donkeys. Who ever oversees it should be fired. :mad:

----------

What the hell was Apple thinking...no coverflow? yes I know Im late to the game on that one...

Also, much of my album art was lost with that update!

Is there a way to remove cover flow from the iPhone? I hate it.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I like the new look and all, but what I hate is that there's no cover flow! I really, really miss that feature. Hopefully they don't remove that from OSX's finder or else.....

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
iTunes repeatedly informs me when a rental is ready to play, fine. then along with that notification, it offers let you play it (as it continues to download). I do so, yet it starts playing without actually displaying the film, all I hear is the audio. I go the rental manually and retry playing it and get a small windows which is unalterable in regards to size. :mad:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Two words. "You just made my day"

Most of my immediate frustrations were fixed by going to the menu bar:

View > Show Status Bar
View > Show Sidebar

They brought back the colored sidebar icons that they killed in iTunes 10. This makes me happy. They also made it insanely easy to toggle whether you can see your iTunes Match songs not stored locally (View > Hide Music in the Cloud).

I actually prefer it now to iTunes 10. Although it is beyond me why they did not simply enable the above options automatically for those upgrading and force the questionable interface changes on the new people.

I count five. :p

five words: Thank you!!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
iTunes 11 is a freaking disaster!

Just had to get that off my chest...

It has all the charm and ease of use of one of those free photo editing packages you used to get with digital cameras. I can't believe how much time I've wasted fighting every aspect of this interface.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Removed Gapless Playback on iTunes 11 why? Who was it hurting that they had to remove such a useful future for people who rip CDs such as live concerts or Electronic/Dance mixes without the gaps. Now I have to depend on crappy iTunes crossfade that never works right, Tim Cook you did it wrong.:mad::mad::mad:

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I didn't realize they removed hapless playback...glad I went back...lol. That would've sent me over the edge. I don't think I'll ever update fro the 10.7 or whatever it is.

----------

how do i unistall iTunes 11?

What are my options regarding other software i could use instead of iTunes?

Ok, just downgraded from 11 to 10.7.

1 - backup your library (normally in c:/my documents/my music/itunes) and all the content (artwork and so) get the last itunes library on the "Previous Itunes Libraries" folder and change it to the main "iTunes Library.itl"
2 - uninstall itunes 11
3 - go to http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php and download the 10.7 version (please, note that the library are compatible with higher versions. a 10.7 library will not work on a 10.6 itunes version.)
4 - install 10.7 version and change the content of the itunes library with your backup if necessary.

enjoy!

This is in another thread...

Last edited:

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Now a quick poll:

Which term do you think describes iTunes 11 better?

"Dumbgrade" or "Trendy Reinvention of the Wheel (that happens to suck)"?

I think I'll stick with both. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.