Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I hope that's enough for apple to consider adding the features to iOS that most of us are jailbreaking for. iOS 6 was such a lackluster update it really is time for a change.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.

I'm one! Love Apple hardware, but love the pure android software on my Nexus 4 more. I'm sure there are many others.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
And people say that the amount of people who Jailbreak is negliable...

With something like 500 million iOS devices out there, jailbreakers account for less than 1% of all users.

Don't get me wrong - it's still millions of people, so it's a real phenomenon and it's here to stay. But it's never going to represent a substantial proportion of users.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
And people say that the amount of people who Jailbreak is negliable...

1.7 million... compared to how many iPhones and iPads out in the world?

A couple hundred million?

I'm glad the jailbreak exists... but let's be clear on the definition of "negligible"

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I'm glad the jailbreak exists... but let's be clear on the definition of "negligible"

Stop comparing and just look at the number. People are simple stating that 1.7M people jailbreaking is significant. And it is. On what planet does nearly 2M installs in ONE DAY not constitute a significant install base?

There are phones out there that don't even sell that many in total.

Yes - by comparison - vs the # of sold iPhones it's not HUGE. But you also have to remember what % of owners could give two craps in general (IE own an iPhone because its an iPhone) vs those that are more "hardcore"

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Stop comparing and just look at the number. People are simple stating that 1.7M people jailbreaking is significant. And it is. On what planet does nearly 2M installs in ONE DAY not constitute a significant install base?

Yes - by comparison - vs the # of sold iPhones it's not HUGE. But you also have to remember what % of owners could give two craps in general (IE own an iPhone because its an iPhone) vs those that are more "hardcore"

In other words it's a "niche" right ?

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada

Buddy is just arguing to argue.

Many people have iPhones & ipads and don't care about jailbreaking like my sister and mother. Its a high number, he just wants to argue.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Serious question...why is it awesome that some people care about jailbreaking?

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?:confused: :)

Cant speak for the op, and I haven't jailbroken any of my devices yet (I will jb my aTV3 when possible).... but imo it's good to see that consumers have options and some measure of autonomy/liberty form Apple's control-freak practices. And that goes for any product or service purchased form any company or corporation - specially hardware.

cheers!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

That’s about 0.5% then. It doesn’t sound significant, but it kinda is... 0.5% of iDevices have installed a jailbreak in a FEW DAYS. Remember that people are still jailbreaking as we speak, too, so 1.7m is not the final figure.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?:confused: :)

It's awesome that people still care about jailbreaking, because the jailbreak scene was slowly dying up until this point. The resounding success and popularity that the launch of this evasi0n tool has shown (finally) proves that jailbreaking is as popular as ever, and that's awesome. The community lives on, for now.

And with regards to why jailbreaking is "a wonderful thing to do" - whilst I'm positive that you're not being pedantic or nescient on purpose, I'm sure you already know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hope that's enough for apple to consider adding the features to iOS that most of us are jailbreaking for.

Some they will. And they will ignore that it ever existed before. They will announce how amazing and magical these new additions are while also claiming that Apple waited until they could do it RIGHT instead of just adding it "willy nilly."

quaternio

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Auxo is a really cool tweak, though I wish it had Do Not Disturb and LTE toggles on it.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011

Hardcore would be compiling a custom kernel from source. Double clicking a link to jailbreak your phone...ehhh not so much.

I'm still wondering why people who are "hardcore" jailbrakers don't just go to Android. It's like buying a Mac and installing Linux on it so none of the printer drivers work and you have to tweak your video driver every two days to compensate for the idiot who wrote the original code in his spare time in his underwear and didn't get it all right. But it's "hardcore." 1.7 million people and counting are taking an expensive device that was designed to work, and making them flaky and easy to brick.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I've never understood why you would take one of the most stable OS's in history and make it unstable and less secure.

But to each his own, as they say.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

More people do it = More support for it.
More support for it = More tweaks that come out faster and are better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.