Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 2011 or 2012 MBA running OSX Lion.

I was running MS Word and working with a 40 meg docx file and the file crashed because the disk encountered an error. I decided to run diskutility to repair the error and it forced me into recovery mode to do the repairs. In recovery mode, it tells me that the error cannot be repaired and to "back up as many files as possible and reinstall OSX". Now I can't even boot back into OSX to backup my files. Help!!!!!!

Update:

I've reset the NVRAM/PRAM and still nothing. Can't even do a safe boot into the computer. It just won't load into OSX to allow me to do a backup. It loads up the apple icon, spinning wheel thingy, shuts down. Panicking since I haven't back up the system in 1.5 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
See if you can get into Internet recovery by holding command-option-r (all three at once) at boot. Then when the recovery screen starts try to run Disk Utility repair from there.

It does sound like your drive died. :(

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can get into recovery mode but disk utility still is not solving the problem.

I can't believe the ssd drive died already. There wasn't even any signs of failure coming up and the drive isn't even old by ssd standards! Wtf!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I can get into recovery mode but disk utility still is not solving the problem.

I can't believe the ssd drive died already. There wasn't even any signs of failure coming up and the drive isn't even old by ssd standards! Wtf!

This is different. Internet recovery will DL a recovery image from Apple and you may be able to repair from that image.

By using the recovery partition like you are the disk is trying to repair itself while running on the same disk, and this can get in the way of repairs.

Still might not work, but it is worth a shot.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alright. I'll give it a shot and have my fingers crossed. I'll post how it all goes.

Update:

trying to install OSX Lion didn't work and I didn't even get into the verificatin stage. Both the HD recovery and the main partition are both locked! I was about to partition the main into 2 sectors but figured I'd ask for help first.

HELP!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.