Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Jebus. Leave it to the Mac Rumors community to argue over 2 totally correct answers because they never bothered to define the question first. Let's try finding both.

1) Is the number of jailbreakers significant enough that jailbreaking is here to stay and will continue to thrive?

Yes. It's significant to the jailbreaking community.

2) Is the percentage of phones that are jailbroken high enough that it will drive Apple to make major changes to attract and hold on to that demographic in the future?

No, they would probably sell more phones to new customers by making a pink iPhone than they would by shipping the phones with Cydia pre-installed. It's not significant to Apple's sales numbers.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I've never understood why you would take one of the most stable OS's in history and make it unstable and less secure.

But to each his own, as they say.

because its fun to play around with new things. thats also one of the reasons why im staying single :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No, they would probably sell more phones to new customers by making a pink iPhone than they would by shipping the phones with Cydia pre-installed. It's not significant to Apple's sales numbers.

Agree. Further - those that are jailbreaking already bought/own devices. So clearly it didn't stop them from buying an iDevice to begin with.

Some curious stats would be how many people opted for Windows/Android because there was no jailbreak at time of purchase consideration

How many people will NOW upgrade to iOS 6.0 because of the jailbreak

etc.

At the end of the day - I still say that ~2M installs in ONE day is significant. No matter how you look at it.

Ultimately Apple doesn't care. Oh I am sure some at Apple feel their work is being bastardized just like there are some at Apple who probably jailbreak their phone as well.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.

You speak like people don't root Android phones.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
because it shows enthusiasm for the technology

Cant speak for the op, and I haven't jailbroken any of my devices yet (I will jb my aTV3 when possible).... but imo it's good to see that consumers have options and some measure of autonomy/liberty form Apple's control-freak practices. And that goes for any product or service purchased form any company or corporation - specially hardware.

cheers!

OK, makes sense. Whether I agree or not, what you guys say helps me understand the issue better.

Thanks...:D

It's awesome that people still care about jailbreaking, because the jailbreak scene was slowly dying up until this point. The resounding success and popularity that the launch of this evasi0n tool has shown (finally) proves that jailbreaking is as popular as ever, and that's awesome. The community lives on, for now.

And with regards to why jailbreaking is "a wonderful thing to do" - whilst I'm positive that you're not being pedantic or nescient on purpose, I'm sure you already know. :rolleyes:

I've read this three times, and to be honest all I can get is... it's awesome because it's awesome.

Sorry if I'm missing some more subtle point.

BTW: "nescient"...great word. I had to seek definition. Thanks for saying I wasn't being ignorant on purpose...I was/am ignorant and it really was a serious question. I wasn't being cute (as if that were possible!). Now pedantic...that's me!:eek:

More people do it = More support for it.
More support for it = More tweaks that come out faster and are better.

As above...you're explanation makes sense to me for those wishing the customization.:D

Last edited:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I haven't been limited by my phone enough to consider jailbreak, it's just so much easier not to. I don't have to worry about upgrading to the latest os, or buying the new version too soon.

there might have been one or 2 things i was like wtf apple? (voice recorder can't record calls for example) but none that made me bother with the effort. it's just my phone, anything it can't do I just bust out on my computer. If I have a call I want to record, I just do it on speakerphone by my computer :D I don't want big fancy app icons with tons of data, or my facebook feed on my lock screen, which seem to be the things people hate most about ios these days.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You speak like people don't root Android phones.

Weird eh ? I've heard of people rooting their android phone to be more like the iPhone.

Funny.

;)

This is a thread about iOS/Apple not Android. No need to introduce a strawman argument. I never stated people did or did not root Android. I just questioned how many people might think iOS was lacking (enough) to switch. I think it's pretty established that Both OSes have features the other doesn't - without rooting/jailbreaking.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That’s about 0.5% then. It doesn’t sound significant, but it kinda is... 0.5% of iDevices have installed a jailbreak in a FEW DAYS. Remember that people are still jailbreaking as we speak, too, so 1.7m is not the final figure.

Oh yeah... it will go up for sure... but how much? Will there ever be 50% of iPhones that are jailbroken? That's all I'm saying.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
1.7 million... compared to how many iPhones and iPads out in the world?

A couple hundred million?

I'm glad the jailbreak exists... but let's be clear on the definition of "negligible"

1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Stop comparing and just look at the number.

Yes... I can see 2 million jailbroken iPhones by the end of the week.

I'm also looking at the number of NON-jailbroken iPhones too... 200 million.

I get what you're saying... but jailbreaking is still something that is done by a significantly smaller percentage of people.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have two iThings that I own (ipad, iphone 4), and my roommate has one (iphone 5). I installed the jailbreak on my iPad to see how it worked before throwing it onto my phone, so as not to have any issues with what is essentially my lifeline. My roommate is likely to do the same If any other jailbreakers out there are like me, this number is sure to grow substantially over the next few weeks.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.

Yeah... has there ever been a study to show how many iPhones are jailbroken?

Has it ever reached 10%? 20%?

Again... I'm not doubting it's happening... as it clearly is.

But think of how many iPhones are NOT jailbroken...

sleitch86

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Any fellow jailbreakers able to point me in the right direction. I am trying to change my status from hacker to developer on cydia. I can't figure it out!

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Name 10 (everyone).

not sure if trolling or just completely clueless, so here you go with those from the top of my head... and that list was WAY LONGER before apple implemented stuff like copy and past (haha) and multi-tasking.. hell, some time ago you had no idea how many characters where left for your text..

1. let me enable/disable 3G/WiFi/BT without tinkering in the preference app (easily the biggest reason, because the battery life increases substatially if you disable useless radios)
  2. send replies to sms etc from everywhere (pretty convenient eh?)
  3. advanced multi-touch gestures apple does not implement (countless)
  4. make the lockscreen useful (intellisceen/lockinfo)
  5. be able to open every "safari-link" in chrome (default different apps)
  6. be able to open every "maps-link" in google maps(default different apps)
  7. let me chose which camera app I want to open from the lockscreen (yes)
  8. use a mobile ad blocker (safari/chrome, all webviews)
  9. dim the screen to the extent I like (even on lowest settings you feel like you look directly into the sun at night)
  10. have profile pictures in my contact list (simple stuff)
  11. let me hide the keyboard while writing a mail ............ (to read what you wrote duh)
  12. attach any kind of file to email/msgs (before apple managed to implement this for PICTURES with iOS6 lolz..)
  13. actually store (almost) any kind of file on my device
  14. (not relevant for me, but) change the UI however I want ?!?
  15. let me call people from the Notification center/lockscreen (way faster than slide to unlock->type passwort->go to phone app->chose contact->click call ... LOL)
  16. list goes on ...................

Any fellow jailbreakers able to point me in the right direction. I am trying to change my status from hacker to developer on cydia. I can't figure it out!

so you have no clue what are doing, but would call yourself a "developer" with respects to jailbroken devices and apps? that's the spirit bro!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.