Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Hello, first time poster looking for some help.

I was wondering if it is possible to edit song names that are stored on a NAS that appear under the shared tab in the sidebar. When I click get get info everything is greyed out.

I DO NOT want to make the music on the NAS the default folder for media ( I want to keep iTunes media folder on my laptop) I'm away from home often but on the occasions I am home, access to the larger library would be nice.

It's only me using it so no worries about permissions.

Many Thanks

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
if you are on the home network, can you open the library directly in iTunes instead of the share? Then you can make the changes to the meta that you need. Then switch back to your local library and then open the NAS library via the share.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
where exactly is the itl file located for the library on the NAS? locate that file via the finder and open it up in iTunes. Then you have direct access to that library.

I am assuming you are working with 2 libraries because you said 1 is shared. 1 library resides on the NAS and one locally. Open up the library on the NAS and change away.

Fuzzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I only have 1 file itl, that appears, which is the one on my Macbook HD.

The music stored on the NAS is just stored in the default folder names music,movies,pictures ( in this case music)

I copy over stuff as a backup through the finder, but then in Itunes the NAS name appears under Shared - Playlists - Music - Then I can play stuff.

Don't know if that diagnoses my problem further.

So I guess i'm trying to get to a point where there is this .itl file on my NAS which shows all the music in that particular folder like an Itunes library?

Thanks for your patience

Fuzzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
FIXED ! ( with caveats)

Im guessing you figured how, but I'll explain for anyone else reading in the future.

I had to create an .itl file, as there wasn't one.
So I held down the option key down while opening Itunes, got the create library/choose option.

Created this new library on my NAS. Moved around my music on my NAS to the new itunes library.

Booted up Itunes again choosing this library, edited names, closed it then loaded up the hard drive library. Bingo under shared the names were fixed.

HOWEVER

The library loaded off the NAS is fussy with file types. Does not seem to like ALAC, which don't appear at all but under the shared tab when the other library is loaded ( appear as unknown artists) No biggie, as some info is there, so I can work it out.

Many thanks for your help, couldn't have figured it out otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.