Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #26
wakuman
macrumors newbie

I check the serial number online, it also says 11-inch macbook air.
So Brian Y, you are right. but the processor might be a different issue?
wakuman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #27
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakuman View Post
I check the serial number online, it also says 11-inch macbook air.
So Brian Y, you are right. but the processor might be a different issue?
It may be that someone put the CPU from a 13" into an 11".

Anybody know if the CPU is soldered on the MBA ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:42 PM   #28
wakuman
macrumors newbie

Anyway, time to prepare for work. I will send the laptop to ASC. will update here again.

Thank you all. wholeheartedly.
wakuman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:05 PM   #29
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
It may be that someone put the CPU from a 13" into an 11".

Anybody know if the CPU is soldered on the MBA ?
yep, its soldered
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #30
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
They can change the MLB, but not the serial.
what probably happened, is that it was in a repair facility. and when apple sends new boards you type into a repair software the serial number to connect the machine + new logic board.
either typed in another systems board while doing multiple repairs, likely scenario as apple repair shops arent always the best.

The fix is rather simple, bring it to apple or an apple authorized service provider and they can easily change the serial number on the board.

And your friend comparing serial numbers from the board to the machine is never going to match up always, as the boarda s its on part serial number that looks sort of like the system serial number.

Ive done apple repairs for years and know a great amount of techs at apple & AASP, its a mistake, it can be fixed, take it in. get it resolved. no use bickering on a forum about it.
ZMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:59 PM   #31
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMacintosh View Post
what probably happened, is that it was in a repair facility. and when apple sends new boards you type into a repair software the serial number to connect the machine + new logic board.
either typed in another systems board while doing multiple repairs, likely scenario as apple repair shops arent always the best.

The fix is rather simple, bring it to apple or an apple authorized service provider and they can easily change the serial number on the board.

And your friend comparing serial numbers from the board to the machine is never going to match up always, as the boarda s its on part serial number that looks sort of like the system serial number.

Ive done apple repairs for years and know a great amount of techs at apple & AASP, its a mistake, it can be fixed, take it in. get it resolved. no use bickering on a forum about it.
Yes, I know what happened, but they cannot change the serial. The version of blank board serializer that works with 2011 boards will not let you re-burn a serial number. The version that did doesn't work on anything later than 2008.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #32
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Yes, I know what happened, but they cannot change the serial. The version of blank board serializer that works with 2011 boards will not let you re-burn a serial number. The version that did doesn't work on anything later than 2008.
Yes they can, AST handles it as well
ZMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:14 PM   #33
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMacintosh View Post
Yes they can, AST handles it as well
No, AST cannot burn a serial number into an already serialised MLB. Hasn't been able to for years. Like I said, only really old versions of BBS could reburn serials (5 times), but those won't serialise the 2011 boards (legacy BBS only works up to 2008 models).
Brian Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:45 AM   #34
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's been jail broken.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:54 PM   #35
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

If I was buying a Macbook, how can I be sure they are not scamming me if I can't trust the system to accurately report specs?
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:02 PM   #36
khanmu
macrumors newbie

Reset USED MacBook Air

My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name.
Do i need to do factory set up? will i loose my data? How to do all of this? any help will be appreciated by anyone. Thanks.
khanmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:08 PM   #37
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmu View Post
My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name.
Do i need to do factory set up? will i loose my data? How to do all of this? any help will be appreciated by anyone. Thanks.
It's always a good idea to reformat and reinstall the OS on a used computer before using it.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:24 AM   #38
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name."

What I would do:

1. Create a NEW account with YOUR name and give yourself administrative priveleges.

2. Log out of your brother's account, log into your new account.

3. Delete your brother's account.

This will retain and OS and apps already installed, while deleting his account/personal files and data, and give you a "clean and fresh" account to use for yourself...
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help