Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:39 AM   #26
RichP74
macrumors member

Isn't the guts of the Mini basically the same as an iPhone 4S? It's really not that old.

Regardless, I notice my iPhone 5 being faster than my Mini, but it isn't annoying in the slightest. Both devices are fantastic.

That said, I bought a 32 gig Mini, and almost wish I'd gone 64. I'm not continuously running out of space, but I do have to housekeep from time to time.
RichP74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 AM   #27
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
And a litre sports bike is pretty good until you're trying to fit it down pedestrian foot bridges, too (where the scooter will leave it for dead).

Again, it depends what you're trying to use it for.

Same deal here....

(i ride )
LOL. As do I. What do you have?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:49 PM   #28
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
LOL. As do I. What do you have?
I've got a CBR600RR and an old RGV250 (2 stroke ftw - so light and fun to ride, the bike's cornering limits are so far beyond mine it's insane).

Wanting to upgrade to a KTM Super Duke soon, but just got a mortgage :-\
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:14 AM   #29
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb22 View Post
I always go for wi fi on ipads, i use Personal Hotspot from my iPhone 5 on an unlimited data plan
I've always bought LTE models. Until the mini...first one I bought was wifi only...this is after owning the original iPad, 2 and 3 all w/cellular. The mini wifi was an absolute PITA! I've got an iPhone 5 as well...using the tethering absolutely drained the iPhone in a very fast way! I returned it and to my surprise, AT&T is/was (still are for those interested) a $100 off promotion if you buy the LTE version from them. Makes it a $39 difference and you also get a GPS chip. No brainier. No need to drain iPhone and I'm online all the time...for a measley $10/month! It's a bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I see you are a new member, maybe you could visit the new member thread and say hi to everyone. While you're at it, could you explain your user name? Is that a request or a statement?
Is that truly necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
I've got a CBR600RR and an old RGV250 (2 stroke ftw - so light and fun to ride, the bike's cornering limits are so far beyond mine it's insane).

Wanting to upgrade to a KTM Super Duke soon, but just got a mortgage :-\
Nice bikes!! I ride too...I've got a 2009 Softtale HD and a 2011 2011 Ducati 1198SP....I bought last February from a guy that put 31 miles on it! LOL, he was absolutely terrified of it. It's a phenomenal ride. You'll have to get up to Alaska some time...it's a blast going fishing on your bike:}

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:23 AM   #30
pollaxe
macrumors regular

I resisted the iPad Mini when it was released, mainly due to the lack of the retina screen (I'd been spoiled by my iPad 3rd gen.)

I got a Nexus 7 and liked it very much. Recently, I was corresponding with a good friend of mine about our tablets - he had the iPad Mini - and we agreed to meet up in the pub one night, along with our other halves, to see what the tablets were like alongside each other.

I was greatly taken with the Mini, the screen was much better than I expected and it just seemed to fit my meaty hands that much better than the Nexus did, by some quirk. I told myself to wait for the refresh of the model and see what a new screen would bring.

Several days later though, my friend contacted me. He's a parasomnia sufferer and reckoned he was using the Mini too often and too late in the evening so that he was suffering as a result. Rather than lock it away, he decided to sell it, so it was out of temptation's reach and he gave me first refusal on it (knowing I'm an Apple fan/user.)

After much 'umming & ahhing' by me and telling myself I didn't need an iPad Mini, he offered to sell it for 180 all in (a virtually brand new, 16 gb Wifi model) and at that price, I couldn't resist.

I've been amazed by just how much I use it, it's really a cracking little device. The Nexus is mainly used for work (we are on Google Apps) but for home use, the iPad Mini has really taken over.

Incidentally, the OP's user name suggests he's either a fan of The Big Bang Theory or his real name is one Howard Wolowitz! (Either outcome is a win-win, as far as I'm concerned!)
pollaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #31
tradis
macrumors newbie

I was drooling over the retina when I played with it at the store, but in the end, I went with the mini because I prefer the size.

I'm happy with my decision because you don't really know what you're missing (with the retina) unless you're comparing them side-by-side
tradis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:46 PM   #32
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post
Nice bikes!! I ride too...I've got a 2009 Softtale HD and a 2011 2011 Ducati 1198SP....I bought last February from a guy that put 31 miles on it! LOL, he was absolutely terrified of it. It's a phenomenal ride. You'll have to get up to Alaska some time...it's a blast going fishing on your bike:}

J
Nice! I have a GSXR 600 that I ride when the days get warmer than 40 degrees. I like having the ability to carry my Mini in my bike jacket and taking it out when I need to.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:57 PM   #33
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
Nice! I have a GSXR 600 that I ride when the days get warmer than 40 degrees. I like having the ability to carry my Mini in my bike jacket and taking it out when I need to.
You better hope you never take a slide with the Mini in your jacket. That broken glass will do a good job of slicing your gut. I use the tankbag or messenger bag.

I used to ride the Skullkill out from Philly in January and it was cold, but now with heated gear that kind of riding is a cinch. I can't imagine stopping at 40 degrees, I'm sure the guy from Alaska feels the same. Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:07 PM   #34
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
You better hope you never take a slide with the Mini in your jacket. That broken glass will do a good job of slicing your gut. I use the tankbag or messenger bag.

I used to ride the Skullkill out from Philly in January and it was cold, but now with heated gear that kind of riding is a cinch. I can't imagine stopping at 40 degrees, I'm sure the guy from Alaska feels the same. Cheers.
Oh I have a case on it and I'm well aware of the glass, that's why the screen is always facing out when I ride. Yeah, my jacket has heated pads on it so I'm not too worried about the cold.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad