Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Raggsokk
macrumors member

Apple denies us to say there's something wrong with the iPhone.

A norwegian IT-magazine recently reported that several norwegian carriers felt that Apple denied them to speak ill about the iPhone through the use of horrible contracts. This was felt with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s (and now maybe the i5) as some customers experience worse signal reception then on similar phones in Norway.

Three anonymous sources from three different norwegian carriers have agreed upon this. They said that Apple advised them against saying that the fault was with the iPhone, and thus forced the carriers to announce that the problem was on their side.

Apple reportedly did this by threats through contracts where the carriers should suspect "freezing" of iPhone supplies if the blame and negative press were to be put on hardware faults in the iPhone.

Due to insane iPhone demands, no carriers can afford to be on Apples low-priority list, nor can they afford to demand better contracts.

It's even suggested that this article alone will result with less iPhones being delivered to these (anonymous) carriers after the next release.

No other smartphone producing company comes even close to this kind of power.

Thoughts?

Sources:
http://www.dagensit.no/article2535229.ece
Raggsokk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggsokk View Post
Thoughts?
I don't really know the reason for that, but why are iPhones mostly working every where else except Norway? It's not like Apple is sending them a special batch. But I like I said, I dunno.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
terroralpha
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
I don't really know the reason for that, but why are iPhones mostly working every where else except Norway? It's not like Apple is sending them a special batch. But I like I said, I dunno.
I'm on Verizon wireless. the only phones to ever drop calls on me were the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. no other device ever dropped a call on me in the 11 years I've been with this carrier.

but it is what it is. you can't have everything. if you like the device than you just learn to deal with it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terroralpha View Post
I'm on Verizon wireless. the only phones to ever drop calls on me were the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. no other device ever dropped a call on me in the 11 years I've been with this carrier.

but it is what it is. you can't have everything. if you like the device than you just learn to deal with it.
My VZW iPhone 4/4S/5 have never dropped a call. AT&T iPhone 4 dropped multiple calls daily. Everyone's carrier experience is a bit different depending on area and equipment. Strange that a whole (small) country would believe the iPhone 5 is defective when it seems to work well-enough everywhere else. I wonder if its a unique frequency band specific to Norway.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5
terroralpha
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
My VZW iPhone 4/4S/5 have never dropped a call. AT&T iPhone 4 dropped multiple calls daily. Everyone's carrier experience is a bit different depending on area and equipment. Strange that a whole (small) country would believe the iPhone 5 is defective when it seems to work well-enough everywhere else. I wonder if its a unique frequency band specific to Norway.
Well, my iPhones have. I live in NYC. Norway's 3G band, which are used for voice calls, works on the same bands as AT&T. As does most of the civilized world. But LTE bands are different.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

iPhone 5 drops calls often on Verizon. Never had any dropped calls when I was using a 4s on Tmobile though.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:05 PM   #7
NewAnger
Banned

I had a 4S on Verizon for a year and had horrible 3G connections and dropped calls only while at home.

I finally cancelled the contract, sold the phone and bought a new 4S on AT&T last week. Best decision I ever made. I never should have left AT&T to begin with. I have excellent 3G speeds and never drop calls at home or anywhere I go.

It just comes to down to each individuals location.
NewAnger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
My AT&T iP4 dropped calls about 2-3 times a week, my iP5 has yet to drop one.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:16 PM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by terroralpha View Post
Well, my iPhones have. I live in NYC. Norway's 3G band, which are used for voice calls, works on the same bands as AT&T. As does most of the civilized world. But LTE bands are different.

Actually, "most of the civilized world" including Norway uses 3G and GSM frequency bands that differ from AT&T and other US carriers. Norway uses 2100MHZ for 3G, while AT&T and most US carriers use 850 and 1900MHz.

That said, the frequency band shouldn't have a whole lot do with it, since "most of the civilized world" is using 2100MHz and the iPhone 5 appears to be operating fine in many other countries.

It could be hardware interactions causing issues. TeliaSonera (Norway's dominant phone network)has a mix of Ericsson and Huawei network gear.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Never had a dropped call with the 4 and 5 on Verizon. It is what it is.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I had really bad call drops on the 4 and 4s with ATT and have had no issues with the 5 on ATT
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggsokk View Post
A norwegian IT-magazine recently reported that several norwegian carriers felt that Apple denied them to speak ill about the iPhone through the use of horrible contracts. This was felt with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s (and now maybe the i5) as some customers experience worse signal reception then on similar phones in Norway.
Haven't read the article since the only thing Norwegian about me is my name. But if this is about the 4, that was well-documented and Apple acknowledged some fault and gave out some free bumpers over the issue. If it is about the 4s, that is a first.

Did these models get to Norway only recently, that this discussion is so late?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:54 PM   #13
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Apple has no power unless you give it to them, I spoke with my money last year and went with android.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:09 PM   #14
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Of course you'll have worse 3G performance on 2100 mhz band,well indoors you will.The lower frequencies have better in building performance then the higher frequencies.This may have something to do with it.
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #15
Raggsokk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Haven't read the article since the only thing Norwegian about me is my name. But if this is about the 4, that was well-documented and Apple acknowledged some fault and gave out some free bumpers over the issue. If it is about the 4s, that is a first.

Did these models get to Norway only recently, that this discussion is so late?
It isn't the models that's late, but the anonymous sources. They had to wait until after the release of the i5 to release this info to the press.

Though it seems like nobody really gives a damn, however weird that appears to me.
Raggsokk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone