Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I check the serial number online, it also says 11-inch macbook air.
So Brian Y, you are right. but the processor might be a different issue?

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Anyway, time to prepare for work. I will send the laptop to ASC. will update here again.

Thank you all. wholeheartedly.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
They can change the MLB, but not the serial.

what probably happened, is that it was in a repair facility. and when apple sends new boards you type into a repair software the serial number to connect the machine + new logic board.
either typed in another systems board while doing multiple repairs, likely scenario as apple repair shops arent always the best.

The fix is rather simple, bring it to apple or an apple authorized service provider and they can easily change the serial number on the board.

And your friend comparing serial numbers from the board to the machine is never going to match up always, as the boarda s its on part serial number that looks sort of like the system serial number.

Ive done apple repairs for years and know a great amount of techs at apple & AASP, its a mistake, it can be fixed, take it in. get it resolved. no use bickering on a forum about it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
what probably happened, is that it was in a repair facility. and when apple sends new boards you type into a repair software the serial number to connect the machine + new logic board.
either typed in another systems board while doing multiple repairs, likely scenario as apple repair shops arent always the best.

The fix is rather simple, bring it to apple or an apple authorized service provider and they can easily change the serial number on the board.

And your friend comparing serial numbers from the board to the machine is never going to match up always, as the boarda s its on part serial number that looks sort of like the system serial number.

Ive done apple repairs for years and know a great amount of techs at apple & AASP, its a mistake, it can be fixed, take it in. get it resolved. no use bickering on a forum about it.

Yes, I know what happened, but they cannot change the serial. The version of blank board serializer that works with 2011 boards will not let you re-burn a serial number. The version that did doesn't work on anything later than 2008.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Yes, I know what happened, but they cannot change the serial. The version of blank board serializer that works with 2011 boards will not let you re-burn a serial number. The version that did doesn't work on anything later than 2008.

Yes they can, AST handles it as well

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yes they can, AST handles it as well

No, AST cannot burn a serial number into an already serialised MLB. Hasn't been able to for years. Like I said, only really old versions of BBS could reburn serials (5 times), but those won't serialise the 2011 boards (legacy BBS only works up to 2008 models).

khanmu

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Reset USED MacBook Air

My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name.
Do i need to do factory set up? will i loose my data? How to do all of this? any help will be appreciated by anyone. Thanks.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name.
Do i need to do factory set up? will i loose my data? How to do all of this? any help will be appreciated by anyone. Thanks.

It's always a good idea to reformat and reinstall the OS on a used computer before using it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"My brother gave me his Macbook air which he longer needs. Under the Favorites it still shows his name next to home (house symbol). In addition, under devices his name is also shown. I need to know how to change these settings so that these settings are changed to my name."

What I would do:

1. Create a NEW account with YOUR name and give yourself administrative priveleges.

2. Log out of your brother's account, log into your new account.

3. Delete your brother's account.

This will retain and OS and apps already installed, while deleting his account/personal files and data, and give you a "clean and fresh" account to use for yourself...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.