Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrandonAZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
So here's an overview of the issue. My 13" rMBP is just a couple of days old. I had set the display sleep to 2 minutes and computer sleep to 10 minutes. Yesterday I would be working on a document, get up for something and come back and the screen would still be fully lit, even though I knew I had been gone for just over two minutes. I began to narrow the issue down later that evening. When powering the laptop on, the first instance of sleep will happen at exactly the interval set. Once I wake it, every instance of the display going to sleep would be double the amount of time it SHOULD sleep at. For example, if I set it to 3 minutes, it will actually sleep at 6. This holds true if it's running on battery power or power cord. If I power down the MacBook, it's like it resets that cycle and the first instance of it putting itself to sleep happens right on schedule, but every instance thereafter is double the time it's set to. I took it into the Genius Bar and after diagnosis and a fresh install of Mountian Lion 10.8.2 it's exhibited the exact same behavior. Just as the tech was going to schedule to send it out for further diagnosis I asked to try this test on a rMBP that's used as a store display. They entered the password to unlock the settings menu and we set the display sleep time to 2 minutes. The MacBook would sleep at 4; set it to 4 and it'd sleep at 8. Somehow, not a single employee had heard of this behavior but both mine and another display model exhibit this issue. My question is, how many others may experience this issue unknowingly and if someone else has, is this just something to be addressed with a future update to ML? Thanks for any feedback in advance.

BrandonAZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
I tried deleting the powermanagement.plist file. As soon as I reset the sleep times and new file is created and the behavior happens all over again. I'll have to look into the other one as well. Thanks!

BrandonAZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
After a call to Apple for AppleCare, eventually I was put on the phone with a "top-level technical advisor" who attempted to replicate the issue on their retina 13" MacBook Pros in the office and came to the same conclusion I did. She was baffled that they had no knowledge of the bug yet but took my email and gave me hers. She said she was passing it along to their R&D department, or something of the sort and guaranteed I was speaking to the highest level individual that could in fact "make things happen". Ha! She said she would keep in contact with me and if I had any further questions regarding the issue to email her directly. We shall see.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
... guaranteed I was speaking to the highest level individual that could in fact "make things happen".

HA indeed!

Oh well, it's probably going to be fixed at some point, one would hope. Given the non-critical nature of the bug, though, I wouldn't expect it to be very high on their priority. It would have to crash the system or cause it to become unresponsive for that to happen.

Maybe fixed in 10.9.1 (at the earliest, if at all)?

BrandonAZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
HA indeed!

Oh well, it's probably going to be fixed at some point, one would hope. Given the non-critical nature of the bug, though, I wouldn't expect it to be very high on their priority. It would have to crash the system or cause it to become unresponsive for that to happen.

Maybe fixed in 10.9.1 (at the earliest, if at all)?

I certainly hope it gets resolved in the next update. My "OCD" is killing me that it doesn't function how it should. :)

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Not really a issue. The settings are in "Imperial Minutes," which are 120 seconds long.
:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.