Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I called Verizon to acquired the price of the unlocked iPhone 5, and they said they don't sell unlocked. I thought you said the iPhone 5 is the only one I could buy unlocked? I called Customer Service on *611, or 800-922-0204.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I called Verizon to acquired the price of the unlocked iPhone 5, and they said they don't sell unlocked. I thought you said the iPhone 5 is the only one I could buy unlocked? I called Customer Service on *611, or 800-922-0204.

They sell all their iPhone 5's unlocked, they just don't advertise it as such since if you use another SIM in them you will not get LTE only 3G

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I rather buy the i5 from Verizon at a discounted price. I thought they sell the i5's unlocked?

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
What do you mean at discounted price?
By signing a 2 year contract?
All verizon iphone 5 are unlocked so you can use it on verizon and on any gsm carrier.
But remember no LTE on AT&T.

I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.

All verizon iphone 5 models are fully unlocked for GSM use. Even when you get it under contract.
Just get one with an upgrade and you will be fine.
The verizon reps dont know everything about the iphone like we do here.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
All verizon iphone 5 models are fully unlocked for GSM use. Even when you get it under contract.

Thank you so very very much!

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011

I almost forgot to ask: What are the instructions for unlocking, or could you post a link to a YouTube video? Would I need to purchase an AT&T SIM card? What is the exact name of the card from AT&T?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I almost forgot to ask: What are the instructions for unlocking, or could you post a link to a YouTube video? Would I need to purchase an AT&T SIM card? What is the exact name of the card from AT&T?

There is nothing you need to do.The phone comes unlocked already :rolleyes:

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
So I won't need to buy the AT&T SIM card either?

Your kidding me right?If you want to use AT&T yes you do need to buy a sim card for AT&T. GSM requires a sim card or in the case of the iPhone 5 a nano sim card

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So I won't need to buy the AT&T SIM card either?
You still need a SIM from the carrier that you intend to use it with. Unlocking only removes the SIM restrictions placed on the device (and isn't necessary with the VZW 5 since it's already unlocked). Getting an at&t SIM has nothing to do with unlocking.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Doesn't it extend your contract by 2 years when you use an upgrade?

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
That above or don't pay anything and get your credit ruined and a lawsuit filed against you.

But all my money goes towards a sleeve of mouth cancer which would be my Cope Snuff. I dip a lot, and don't have any cash left.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

You do realize that you will extend your contract with Verizon for 2 more years if you use your upgrade to get the iPhone 5? Your contract will no longer expire on 7/13/13. It will be 3/13/15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.