Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
when did the 2012 mini refurb first become available from the original release??...im going to wait for the haswell mini and i want to know how long after the release i intend to wait for a refurb haswell

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I bought the base 2012 Mac mini from BHPHOTOVIDEO.com for $564
I figured 509 plus $40 or $50 tax would come to about the same

Plus bhphotovideo offered AppleCare for $50 plus something called paralllets desktop 8 for Mac for free

So my total was $616 no tax & free shipping , I ordered Monday and I'm getting it tomorrow

You guys think this was a reasonable deal?

Edit

I checked the apple website , my total with tax would have been $540 , so $540 refurb vs $564 new

----------

when did the 2012 mini refurb first become available from the original release??...im going to wait for the haswell mini and i want to know how long after the release i intend to wait for a refurb haswell

In the beginning of January or in the middle , I don't remember

Last edited:

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Seems about right for used, seeing the same price all over. What size drive and memory dimms did it ship with, that's the most telling about weather is was a deal or not.

Had a look at the site you posted did not see any minis in that price range.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Seems about right for used, seeing the same price all over. What size drive and memory dimms did it ship with, that's the most telling about weather is was a deal or not.

Had a look at the site you posted did not see any minis in that price range.

Cheers,
Greg

You talking to me?

The Mac mini on BHPHOTOvideo are new not used

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i was going to buy a mini refurb, but just ordered from b&h

refurb i5 with tax comes to about $545

new mini from b&h is $564 with no tax and free shipping. They also offer a free copy of parallels 8 which I can resell on ebay for at least $40, bringing the overall cost for a new one below the refurb.

At least thats my plan. UPS already has mine on the way. will let you know how it turns out.

When I ordered they were offering applecare for $104, so I didnt take it. I've never had a mac that needed repair in the 2nd or 3rd year. If it makes it through a year, i believe it will last a long time

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

new mini from b&h is $564 with no tax and free shipping. They also offer a free copy of parallels 8 which I can resell on ebay for at least $40, bringing the overall cost for a new one below the refurb.

At least thats my plan. UPS already has mine on the way. will let you know how it turns out.

When I ordered they were offering applecare for $104, so I didnt take it. I've never had a mac that needed repair in the 2nd or 3rd year. If it makes it through a year, i believe it will last a long time

sometimes bh or amazon is better then a refurb.

this refurb is a pretty good markdown

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD388LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i7

I have not seen the mid model with a good markdown from any seller.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
they are selling them as new. no indication they are anything else. When i get mine in a few days I will try to film an unboxing and share it

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah man I am telling you what I saw, your price sounds like a used machine what can I say. If not fine by me really post the link educate. me I am all for learning.

Cheers,

Greg

No. The ones from BHPHotovideo are brand new, in box. Base Mini's often drop to about $565 after a few months. I picked up my 2011 last October from Amazon for the same price (again after it was about 4 months old or so). In fact, I'm a little surprised Amazon hasn't dropped its price from $588.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i wonder how much a store like this actually pays for the mini wholesale? At a price of $564, I wonder how much of a profit they are making?

sfxguy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Los Angeles
I saw that as well. I need a mini server and looking at the refurb base i7 for $679 vs B&H with Parallels and Apple Care for $825 with no tax shipped new, the B&H sale kind of seems like a win win.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

I was offered applecare for $52

It was hidden, I know where you saw that $104 cause I saw that too

But in the option where they ask you to choose your free software,in that page there are tabs

Like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360376225.034034.jpg

If you click on computer accessories it says applecare for $52 I almost missed it too but I clicked on all the tabs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360376304.511345.jpg

So my total came to $616

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I can get a military discount.

the refurb is 509 applecare is 99 total of 608,

but NJ tax is 7% so price is

$650.56. so the bh is the better deal for most people,but not all.

A government worker in Delaware would pay 608 to apple..

A New York person would pay 669.90 to BH Photo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 10.12.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 10.12.48 PM.png
    823.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
No. The ones from BHPHotovideo are brand new, in box. Base Mini's often drop to about $565 after a few months. I picked up my 2011 last October from Amazon for the same price (again after it was about 4 months old or so). In fact, I'm a little surprised Amazon hasn't dropped its price from $588.

I see it now missed it the first look, yeah 35 bucks savings comparing Apples too BHPHotovideos, for a base machine.

Could not resist the play on words.... all good.

Greg

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
crap. i missed out on that $52 deal on applecare. I already ordered and now ups tracking says shipment delayed due to weather .

good news is it looks like I can still get a sweet deal on applecare. I noticed people sell it on ebay in the $50-60 range

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I would stay away from eBay if I was you

Contact BHPHOTO and just tell them that you only noticed it after you ordered
I'm just they would understand

vandrv

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008

B&H customer service is fantastic. I'm sure that if you contact them and explain your situation, they will take care of you.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

B&H customer service is fantastic. I'm sure that if you contact them and explain your situation, they will take care of you.

do as they say. ^

shoot them an email on sunday (they close on Sat.)

they have always been decent with their customers. you can even link this thread to them.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England

I contacted them today via their live chat feature. It only took a few mins. they were more than happy to sell me the applecare for $52 with free shipping. So thats really cool. This store is A#1 so far.

Its interesting how cheap they sell the applecare. $52 is 50% off their regular price of $104, but apple sells it for $149. So i'm really getting it for a 3rd of the price. I wonder how they can sell it so cheap?

vandrv

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I contacted them today via their live chat feature. It only took a few mins. they were more than happy to sell me the applecare for $52 with free shipping. So thats really cool. This store is A#1 so far.

Its interesting how cheap they sell the applecare. $52 is 50% off their regular price of $104, but apple sells it for $149. So i'm really getting it for a 3rd of the price. I wonder how they can sell it so cheap?

Glad it worked out for you. I knew it would. I have dealt with them for years and purchased thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment from them and they have been great. I once purchased a tripod from them, and about a week later tit went on sale for $150.00 less. I thought about returning mine and repurchasing it, but contacted them and they quickly refunded me the difference which they certainly didn't have to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.