Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Tofray
macrumors regular

iMac 2011: Replace SSD with new SSD?

I have an internal Apple-installed 256GB SSD that came with the computer. It's a bit underwhelming, which is reflected by the BlackMagic speed tests of 180/Write 205/Read speeds. This is only marginally faster than my HDD (118/112), which kind of defeats the joy of having an SSD.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is it possible to directly replace the internal SSD with an OCZ or OWC drive? (I've seen videos on replacing the optical drive, but I don't want to do that)
2) Is the joy of having a 400-500 Read/Write SSD worth the trouble/cost of replacement?

I also have 15 months left on my AppleCare, so it would really have to be worth it to likely void the AppleCare. Can anyone tell me if the 200-300+ difference in speeds would be worth it?

Also, what speeds are people getting on the 2012 fusion drive?

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofray View Post
I have an internal Apple-installed 256GB SSD that came with the computer. It's a bit underwhelming, which is reflected by the BlackMagic speed tests of 180/Write 205/Read speeds. This is only marginally faster than my HDD (118/112), which kind of defeats the joy of having an SSD.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is it possible to directly replace the internal SSD with an OCZ or OWC drive? (I've seen videos on replacing the optical drive, but I don't want to do that)
2) Is the joy of having a 400-500 Read/Write SSD worth the trouble/cost of replacement?

I also have 15 months left on my AppleCare, so it would really have to be worth it to likely void the AppleCare. Can anyone tell me if the 200-300+ difference in speeds would be worth it?

Thanks
Are you using your thunderbolt port? If not, instead of voiding the warranty, get an external thunderbolt drive and boot off of that. You will probably get the speeds are looking for without having to worry about voiding the warranty.

I do not know if the additional speed is worth it or noticeable depending what you do. I wish I had your "slow" SSD in my iMac right now.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Tofray
macrumors regular

Thanks Kash, not a bad idea, but I thought that external TB SSD's are still not nearly as fast as an internal drive?

Does anyone have any external drive read/writes by chance?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashsystems View Post
I wish I had your "slow" SSD in my iMac right now.
Another good point...Maybe I should just be content with what I have Even though it isn't as fast as the OCZ's & OWC's, I love that it's just so dang quiet...Not a peep out of this mac
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks Kash, not a bad idea, but I thought that external TB SSD's are still not nearly as fast as an internal drive?

Does anyone have any external drive read/writes by chance?

----------

Another good point...Maybe I should just be content with what I have Even though it isn't as fast as the OCZ's & OWC's, I love that it's just so dang quiet...Not a peep out of this mac
There are some posts on these forums, people were getting the 400/500 write/read speeds through the thunderbolt port.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:58 AM   #5
mario24601
macrumors regular

Quote:

So I have 2 questions:

Thanks
I'm in exact same boat as you. Let me know what you end up doing. If you go extremal , what's process to making external you os drive.

And why those drives and not something like 840 pro? Thanks.
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac