Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I made a "dropbox" and enabled full read/write access from my mac pro.

I have 3-4 other macs on the same network but when they add files/folders I can't access them.

I was wondering if there is a way to create a "neutral" folder where everyone has access to it, read/write/make dir, etc without worrying about permissions?

Should I switch to SMB?

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Permissions...

Hi SDAVE,

The Server.app controls which individuals have what permissions on any shares in the File Sharing pane. If you are sharing only with other Macs, I would stick with AFP if I were you, but SMB is useful if you are sharing with PCs.

It sounds like you want Everyone to have R/W access to one folder, but not to everything. In this case, I would simply create a new share of that folder and give everyone full R/W permissions. This way any user from any machine can write to this folder, including creating subfolders, and everyone can also read everything.

In other words, create a separate "Public" share that gives everyone R/W permissions.

Regards,
Switon

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Read/Write alone won't do it. Need to make a group of the users and/or assign individual users FULL CONTROL using ACL's.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hi SDAVE,

The Server.app controls which individuals have what permissions on any shares in the File Sharing pane. If you are sharing only with other Macs, I would stick with AFP if I were you, but SMB is useful if you are sharing with PCs.

It sounds like you want Everyone to have R/W access to one folder, but not to everything. In this case, I would simply create a new share of that folder and give everyone full R/W permissions. This way any user from any machine can write to this folder, including creating subfolders, and everyone can also read everything.

In other words, create a separate "Public" share that gives everyone R/W permissions.

Regards,
Switon

Thanks

problem is, I have R/W for all on a share folder, but when another user adds a folder, they own permission and I have to take over the folder. Or when I make a new folder in the share folder, the other party can't access it, so I have to apply R/W to all folders/files again. Kind of time consuming and defeats the purpose of a network share.

Read/Write alone won't do it. Need to make a group of the users and/or assign individual users FULL CONTROL using ACL's.

Thank you I will look into that. I have those users logging in as guests, maybe I need to make a new user account.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Thanks for that

I made a new "sharing only" account and used the group Staff, and I gave r/w access to that user for a specific folder.

However, when he creates a new folder and I try to modify it locally, it asks for my password? Also sometimes that user can't make folders so I have to "apply permissions".

It's kind of a mess. I tried SMB and AFP, same thing for both.

Is there a way to run an app in the background that takes care of this stuff? Seems like the native Apple sharing for folders is pretty horrid.

I had a Windows 2008 server before and never had this issue. R/W, sharing, etc were working flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.