Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan138zig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Hi, it's nice to be a member here. Anyway, I was in a traffic jam and then I picked my phone from the passenger seat. It's very hot and had this temperature warning (can't use phone until it cools down or something). I realized it'd been on the very hot car seat for about 15 minutes, screen side up, under sunlight from the windshield. I wonder if the battery was damaged? I used an ultrathin protector case if that means anything. It's been 24 hrs and no noticeable problem so far, but who knows if my battery's max capacity has decreased 5%. Thank you.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
As you've noticed from the warning message, there are safety mechanisms in place to prevent extreme damage. I doubt you did any long-term damage but only time will tell!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As you've noticed from the warning message, there are safety mechanisms in place to prevent extreme damage. I doubt you did any long-term damage but only time will tell!

Yep. When I wad in Iraq I was outside for a long time in the sun listening to my iPod while waiting for a Blackhawk ride to Baghdad. Suddenly my iPod gave me a warning about being too hot and shut itself off.

Aug 5, 2012
Yep. When I wad in Iraq I was outside for a long time in the sun listening to my iPod while waiting for a Blackhawk ride to Baghdad. Suddenly my iPod gave me a warning about being too hot and shut itself off.

You really, really want us to know you were in Irag dont you?

dan138zig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
But the safeguard doesn't cool down the phone, right? So the battery was overheated regardless.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
But the safeguard doesn't cool down the phone, right? So the battery was overheated regardless.

Well what more do you want to be told? People tried to convince you that the phone has built in features to protect it but yes, your battery most likely heated up more than it typically would. Move on with your life and your phone, IF you damaged it through negligence then take that as a lesson learned.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Yes, it has mini air conditioners built into the bottom, that's why there's only one speaker down there... You're reading the message incorrectly, the phone can't be used because it's too hot, thereby preventing damage to the device or the battery. If you're really that concerned you should probably call someone who would have firsthand knowledge about it rather than ask for speculation from people on the internet.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I won't worry about it.

My black iPhone 4 was left outdoors multiple times in the summer sun for hours, and still had good battery life - even after two years of use.

There were times when not only was the Temp warning showing, but the device was literally to hot to handle.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Sorry if it offended you.

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Next time it happens, shove it in the freezer for a few hours.

KIDDING! Don't put it in extreme temperatures. However:

A good friend of mine left her iPad on top of a toaster oven. By the time we discovered it, it was too hot to handle. It works fine now.

An iPod 3 I purchased about three or so years ago was left on the seat under the hot sun several times. It still works.

Gotta hand it to Apple! Their products are pretty downright idiot-proof.

Don't worry about it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Nothing you can do after the fact, just don't do it again.

And if battery's life is been shorten, battery replacement is relatively ez for those of us who are not afraid of small tools.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Use it and see. Compare its battery life to what you're used to. No sense worrying over something that may not be an issue. If your battery is damaged you'll notice a difference. If you don't notice a difference, does it really matter?

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
You are correct, they originally had an app* on the iPhone 6 that would control the sun when the phone got too hot but it resulted in poor battery life.

*In the event that there is someone reading this whose sarcasm detection is subpar, this was an example.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

This. iPhones were engineered to shutdown at a certain temperature.

Inzane5143

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
You really, really want us to know you were in Irag dont you?
[doublepost=1509960310][/doublepost]You are a pompous prick. Why don't you go over there and risk your life. If this guy wants a little recognition then give it to him. It's because of hero's like him that you can sit on your ass in your own home and be safe and yet you use that time to make fun of veterans. There is a special place for you and you will be lucky if it is half as bad as war....

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
15min properly won't have any negative impact, isn't long enough to heat the inside significantly. But extreme heat does shorten battery life, if it had been hours, it would likely have had some impact on the battery in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.