Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I got a customer who just bought a Blackberry z10 (poor him)

Anyway i usually don't touch Blackberry but i still have to do it so here is 3 question

1) Does blackberry 10 have an 'App store'?
2) How good is the blackberry 10 live app for synchronising programs compared to desktop manager
3) Anyone know if the program called splash ID is working on the blackberry 10? (He uses it like his religion)

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I got a customer who just bought a Blackberry z10 (poor him)

Anyway i usually don't touch Blackberry but i still have to do it so here is 3 question

1) Does blackberry 10 have an 'App store'?
2) How good is the blackberry 10 live app for synchronising programs compared to desktop manager
3) Anyone know if the program called splash ID is working on the blackberry 10? (He uses it like his religion)

Thanks

1) Yes blackberry have an app store. Its called blackberry world.

2) Not sure.. I used to use blackberry connect for syncing my mac to my blackberry when I had my 9900

3) Again not 100% sure but if it seems to be available for Android (gingerbread) so he can actually side-load it onto the blackberry z10 anyway. (Ice Cream Sandwich will be supported eventually too)

Last edited:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
1) Yes blackberry have an app store. Its called blackberry world.

2) Not sure.. I used to use blackberry connect for syncing my mac to my blackberry when I had my 9900

3) Again not 100% sure but if it seems to be available for Android (gingerbread) so he can actually side-load it onto the blackberry z10 anyway. (Ice Cream Sandwich will be supported eventually too)

Careful with suggesting side-loading. A large number of Android apps (even 2.3 apps) can't be side loaded. The BB Android player only emulates the Dalvik VM, so apps with even a drop of native code won't run.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
The BB Android player only emulates the Dalvik VM, so apps with even a drop of native code won't run.

Dalvik engine is open source --- RIM grabbed the source code and ported the Dalvik engine to QNX. When you have the original source code, it is called a port --- NOT an emulator.

But you are correct that any android app that contains native c/c++ codes (that resides outside the Dalvik engine and interacts with the linux kernel) won't run on BB10's android runtime.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Dalvik engine is open source --- RIM grabbed the source code and ported the Dalvik engine to QNX. When you have the original source code, it is called a port --- NOT an emulator.

But you are correct that any android app that contains native c/c++ codes (that resides outside the Dalvik engine and interacts with the linux kernel) won't run on BB10's android runtime.

Ya thanks for clearing that up. Most publications call it the Android emulator, I was just using the same lingo.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is there a list of android apps that do work? At least to sure up the number of apps whilst the big players take their time releasing native blackberry 10 versions.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Is there a list of android apps that do work? At least to sure up the number of apps whilst the big players take their time releasing native blackberry 10 versions.

There is really no list but any app (on iOS, on Android and on BB10...) that requires massive amounts of CPU power --- will have to be written in native codes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.