Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Isengardtom
macrumors member

Windows 8 bootcamp - activation key not working

Hi

I installed windows 8 pro (60 EUR) on my iMac yesterday via bootcamp. Everything works fine except the product key that came with the disk and allowed me to install windows 8 does not work for the activation with Microsoft?

Does anyone know why and what I need to do
Isengardtom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

There should be a Phone number on the activation screen, Call it.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:23 AM   #3
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

what did u end up having to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isengardtom View Post
Hi

I installed windows 8 pro (60 EUR) on my iMac yesterday via bootcamp. Everything works fine except the product key that came with the disk and allowed me to install windows 8 does not work for the activation with Microsoft?

Does anyone know why and what I need to do
i bought win pro 8 upgrade and downloaded to my pc with windows vista(did not upgrade the pc to win 8) and chose "create media" and burned it to usb stick.
I then installed it on my mac mini using usb stick and parallels 8 with no problem using the activation key microsoft emailed me. it is running fine but i was playing around and clicked on the flag on the menu bar and one of the messages asked for the activation key again, i entered it and it says it is only good for upgrades. It still works.
My question is is microsoft gonna disable it like they would a trial after a couple of weeks? I guess i want be able to get updates etc.?
jwjsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:21 AM   #4
fat jez
macrumors 65816

upgrade keys cannot be used for a clean install. However, google is your friend
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac