Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Talon Six

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
There was a good review posted here about the Zaggkeys Pro, but what good are reviews without pics?

So here's my Zaggkeys Pro. I bought my dad the Logitech Ultrathin for his birthday and was duly impressed, except for the rubber strip delaminating problem which plagued his keyboard starting on the third day of use. When I saw the Zaggkeys Pro announced back in late September, I knew I'd want one.

So far I've been extremely pleased with it. You cannot use a back shell-type protective case with your iPad if you're going to use the Zaggkeys Pro. For me, my iPad stays nekkid most of the time, so this was no big deal. The Zaggkeys Pro uses a rechargeable battery and comes with a USB to mini-USB charging cable. The keys are backlit and you can choose from three brightness settings and seven different colors. Unlike it's competitors, the Zaggkeys Pro is mostly made of aluminum.

One of my gripes with Logitech iPad keyboards is that they don't have a dedicated set of function keys. Back when I was using a Logitech BT tablet keyboard, if I wanted to mute the volume I'd have to press function + mute. The Zaggkeys Pro has no such constraints and has a full, 6-row keyboard complete with all the usual Apple functionality. The keys themselves are quite nice to type on. Getting used to the small delete key took some time and I accidentally hit lock more than once. Overall, however, it's very well designed.

_DSC4799.jpg

_DSC4800.jpg

Here's what it looks like sans iPad:
_DSC4789.jpg

And the back:
_DSC4798.jpg

You can see a little discoloration along the edges of the bottom. One thing that would have improved this product immensely would have been the addition of Macbook-like rubber feet. I've ordered the BlueLounge Kicks to rectify this.

Here's a shot of the channel that holds the iPad. It does a much better job than the Logitech Ultrathin, particularly in portrait mode which I use extensively when reviewing documents. There's no little rubber strip to delaminate like on the Logitech Ultrathin either. As was pointed out in the other review, there's no magnets like the Logitech Ultrathin, so you can't pick up the whole thing by the iPad:
_DSC4801.jpg

The Zaggkeys Pro does use magnets to keep the ipad attached to the shell when it is in 'closed' mode. It's a very strong connection that works extremely well. Here's a picture of it closed:
_DSC4803.jpg

I highly recommend this if you're in the market for a keyboard case.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Is this mostly for desk use or does it work well in bed and your lap? Getting sick of my folio style case, I want to start using the iPad naked more often so this seems like a good pick.

Talon Six

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
Is this mostly for desk use or does it work well in bed and your lap? Getting sick of my folio style case, I want to start using the iPad naked more often so this seems like a good pick.

Works fine on a lap. I've been using it daily and still haven't had to recharge it, BTW.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Zagg & Logitech Pros & Cons

I have the Zaggkeys Pro Folio+ , the Zaggkeys Pro +, and the Logitech Ultrathin. Here are my observations.

Logitech Ultrathin - definitely the thinnest and lightest of the bunch. I love the magnetic snap on/off from the iPad. Also has great magnets in the slot that holds the ipad securely. You can pickup the ipad and the case will not fall off, even if you try. Great battery life. Overall very good keyboard, but not as good as the Zaggs. The logitech case, scuffs up quiet a bit, as it is what is actually sitting on the desk. Might want to consider putting a Zagg Leather on the case. Or a clearshield of some kind (same with back of the ipad). With this case on your ipad, it like a mini Macbook air.

Zaggkeys Pro plus - thin, but not as thin/light as the Logitec. Best keyboard I have ever used for the iPad. Love the lighted keys. Great quality, and battery life. A small annoyance is the raised lip around the keyboard to help keep the iPad seated and aligned. I love the separate dedicated function keys. Closest keyboard to my normal apple keyboards. Almost no adjustment to get used to this. Case has same scuffing issue as logitech. BUT, the big issue is the slot that holds the iPad. My iPad falls out of the slot every few minutes. Both in landscape and portait mode. Almost fell to the floor and would have destroyed my ipad. It falls out just typing, but is worse if you are pressing the touch screen. It is a design flaw in my opinion. There are some magnets in there, but they are so weak as to be useless. I have corresponded with Zagg and they sent me a replacement. However same issue with the 2nd one. And it has the same problem on by ipad2 and ipad3. I cannot use this until the problem is fixed. (bummer)

Zaggkeys Profolio plus - same keyboard as above, minus the small raised lip. The folio case is very nice. Soft faux type leather on 90% of the case. Holds the ipad securely in the slot and protects it all around. Slightly less than an inch thick with the iPad. Definitely bigger and larger than the keyboard only cases above. But for a portfolio case with a keyboard, there is nothing else like it out there. I will probably use this as my go to case.

Zagg has really got to address the issue with the slot on the Zaggkeys keyboard case. :cool:

Talon Six

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
Sorry to hear your problems with the Zagg. I'm using a 3rd generation iPad and have never had any issues with it falling out in either portrait or landscape mode.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
I picked up the Zaggkeys Profolio Plus from Best Buy today for $129.99 and it's exactly what I wanted from a keyboard case. The keyboard is nicer to use than the Ultrathin one that I had for awhile and the backlight is definitely a nice addition. The case is sturdy but it doesn't add too much bulk. I would highly recommend this keyboard case to anyone in the market for one, you won't be disappointed.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I was excited about this product as the biggest thing Windows 8 -tablets have when compared to iPads is proper keyboard dock. Sure the iPad has docks like the ZaggFolio or the Logitech Ultrathin. Unfortunately there are always tradeoffs. If you want to use just the tablet, there is no quick way to take the ZaggFolio off. As for the Ultrathin which was my number one choice for a long time... The magnets on it are somewhat weak which means it can accidentally slip off (and it cannot be used like a Smart Cover with the iPad which has better magnets which hold). Moreover, I hear it can scratch the iPad (if you don't have a screen protector, that is).

The Zaggkeys Pro seemed like it had no faults and that it could compete with Windows 8 -keyboard docks (which obviously are secure). Unfortunately I've read that even a slight push (especially if the iPad is in portrait mode) can knock down the iPad off of the keyboard. Apparently Zagg uses no magnets in the iPad slot.

Of course there shouldn't be any problems if you use the Zaggkeys on a desk and be careful when handling the iPad. However, I'm the kind of person who would always be mindful of this and whose heart would jump in his throat everytime I turned around and accidentally pushed the iPad when its on the Zaggkeys Pro.

The one thing I don't understand with these iPad keyboard manufacturers is, apart from docks like the Zaggfolio which are obviously secure, why don't they make the magnets stronger or use another solution to secure the iPad to the dock. It's almost as if they are willing to let Windows/Android -tablets to rule when it comes to keyboard docks.

Robby29

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
I picked up the Zaggkeys Profolio Plus from Best Buy today for $129.99 and it's exactly what I wanted from a keyboard case. The keyboard is nicer to use than the Ultrathin one that I had for awhile and the backlight is definitely a nice addition. The case is sturdy but it doesn't add too much bulk. I would highly recommend this keyboard case to anyone in the market for one, you won't be disappointed.

Can u post some pictures.. Thinking about getting this case

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Zagg Keys Pro Plus and Logitech Ultrathin iPad keyboards

I initially tried the Logitech unit and while I liked the lightness and the magnetic Smart Cover type closure, the magnets in the groove nearly tore off the protective screen cover. This got returned.

After sponsoring a couple of Kickstarter keyboard solution projects, I am still waiting fore these to be shipped.

When the ZaggKeys came out, I purchased and have not regretted it. Yes it is slightly heavier than the Logitech, but the build quality far exceeds the Logitech and it is backlit too.

Alas, I think I may be selling my iPad 2 as I am loving the mini. Just hope I don't leave it somewhere as I tend to forget things that are extremely portable and unobtrusive.

Will likely purchase another full sized iPad (5?) once Apple figures out a way to beef up it's screen and processor in as thin and light form factor as the mini as my laptop substitute while I am out of town, ha! A worthy design goal.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I have the Zaggkeys Pro Folio+ , the Zaggkeys Pro +, and the Logitech Ultrathin. Here are my observations.

Logitech Ultrathin - definitely the thinnest and lightest of the bunch. I love the magnetic snap on/off from the iPad. Also has great magnets in the slot that holds the ipad securely. You can pickup the ipad and the case will not fall off, even if you try. Great battery life. Overall very good keyboard, but not as good as the Zaggs. The logitech case, scuffs up quiet a bit, as it is what is actually sitting on the desk. Might want to consider putting a Zagg Leather on the case. Or a clearshield of some kind (same with back of the ipad). With this case on your ipad, it like a mini Macbook air.

Zaggkeys Pro plus - thin, but not as thin/light as the Logitec. Best keyboard I have ever used for the iPad. Love the lighted keys. Great quality, and battery life. A small annoyance is the raised lip around the keyboard to help keep the iPad seated and aligned. I love the separate dedicated function keys. Closest keyboard to my normal apple keyboards. Almost no adjustment to get used to this. Case has same scuffing issue as logitech. BUT, the big issue is the slot that holds the iPad. My iPad falls out of the slot every few minutes. Both in landscape and portait mode. Almost fell to the floor and would have destroyed my ipad. It falls out just typing, but is worse if you are pressing the touch screen. It is a design flaw in my opinion. There are some magnets in there, but they are so weak as to be useless. I have corresponded with Zagg and they sent me a replacement. However same issue with the 2nd one. And it has the same problem on by ipad2 and ipad3. I cannot use this until the problem is fixed. (bummer)

Zaggkeys Profolio plus - same keyboard as above, minus the small raised lip. The folio case is very nice. Soft faux type leather on 90% of the case. Holds the ipad securely in the slot and protects it all around. Slightly less than an inch thick with the iPad. Definitely bigger and larger than the keyboard only cases above. But for a portfolio case with a keyboard, there is nothing else like it out there. I will probably use this as my go to case.

Zagg has really got to address the issue with the slot on the Zaggkeys keyboard case. :cool:

This is very odd. I'm using my iPad 2 with the Zagg Pro and it stays seated in the slot. Yes the magnets are a little weak but the iPad's weight and it's angle in the slot makes it feel acceptably secure. I use the set up on my lap while sitting and in bed and do a lot of typing, and it has never fallen out of the slot or felt like it was going to.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Zagg Keys Pro Plus

Nice review, agreed. Never thought of this, but usually don't pick up my iPad and try to carry the Zagg Keys Pro Plus along with it, so haven't had the problem of it dropping off of it. Actually, you can pick it up with the iPad, even the mini, but you have to maintain the angle. The magnet and friction will hold the keyboard in place. You cannot pick it up by the top, dangle it and expect the keyboard to stay attached with either iPads.

What I did do is purchase a Zagg iPad leather skin which has no cutouts and is half price off on their website and put it on the keyboard. So now when closed, it is encased in leather.

Now that I have an iPad mini, am looking for one like the Zagg of the same build quality. I am currently useing the Pro Plus, but obviously there is a size mismatch.

Last edited:

Tazzydnc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
So you have a leather skin on the bottom of the Zagg keyboard? Do you have anything on the back of the iPad to protect it when the keyboard and iPad are nested?

I'm looking for a product that will protect the back of my iPad when closed, but that does not affect the iPad's stability in the slot in landscape mode. Thanks

Nice review, agreed. Never thought of this, but usually don't pick up my iPad and try to carry the Zagg Keys Pro Plus along with it, so haven't had the problem of it dropping off of it. Actually, you can pick it up with the iPad, even the mini, but you have to maintain the angle. The magnet and friction will hold the keyboard in place. You cannot pick it up by the top, dangle it and expect the keyboard to stay attached with either iPads.

What I did do is purchase a Zagg iPad leather skin which has no cutouts and is half price off on their website and put it on the keyboard. So now when closed, it is encased in leather.

Now that I have an iPad mini, am looking for one like the Zagg of the same build quality. I am currently useing the Pro Plus, but obviously there is a size mismatch.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Leather skins on Zagg Pro Plus and iPad

So you have a leather skin on the bottom of the Zagg keyboard? Do you have anything on the back of the iPad to protect it when the keyboard and iPad are nested?

I'm looking for a product that will protect the back of my iPad when closed, but that does not affect the iPad's stability in the slot in landscape mode. Thanks

I have a Zagg iPad 2 skin on the back of the iPad in navy that goes with the Apple navy leather smart cover. It fits in the groove of the ZaggKeys Pro Plus as it is a thin skin, but not as clear as say a Invisashield. It actually leans away from you and leverages the front or glass side of the iPad. I then found a black leather Zagg skin for the iPad 1 (half off at Zagg for $19.99) which has no cutouts and put that on the back of the ZaggKeys Pro Plus, so while I am not color coordinated, I have a thin leather skin on both sides when it is "clam shelled" together.

An answer to an earlier poster's question, it also works with the mini, but obviously does not have the same fit. The groove holds it in there just fine.

Apparently Logitech and Zagg have patents pending on the "fold into the iPad" type keyboards, and there are a number of mini sized "copy cats" of a similar design. I ordered one from some unknown manufacturer who promises it will be aluminum and those are going anywhere from a low of $22 up to obviously $80-90 for the Belkin and Zagg wrap around models. I prefer the ones that fold into the iPad for weight and less bulk. Will let you know how it works after I receive it.

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Just got one

Just got one of these, after having used a Logitech Ultrathin for about 10 days. Long story short, the Ultrathin is going back. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome product too, but I just like the Zagg better. They keyboard on the Zagg has slightly smaller keys with a bigger gap between them, which for me makes it easier to type without accidentally hitting the wrong keys. Moreover, while both keyboards have an annoyingly undersized delete key, the Zagg at least has one that is full height. That makes it a little easier for me to hit, which is quite an improvement in the typing experience considering the basic fact t hat this is a keyboard for a 10" device and you're going to make more mistakes on it than you will on a desktop keyboard. I think the keyboard also has a tiny bit more key travel too. It's definitely more rigid and feels nicer than the Ultrathin, which has thinner aluminum on the bottom and a plastic top.

I personally have not had any problem with the iPad staying in its slot. I'm typing this right now with the whole thing balanced on one leg while seated, and the iPad feels perfectly secure where it is. However, the Ultrathin does clearly hold the iPad more securely. You can pick the whole arrangement up by the iPad with the Ultrathin, not so with the Zagg.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I just ordered the Zaggkeys Pro Plus -keyboard for my iPad 4. The problem is that I am going to use iCarbons back skin and Moshi iVisor XT screen protector (you know the ones that come with 'fake iPad' black or white edges) with my iPad. Do you think the iPad will fit in the channel (typing position)?

At least one person in Amazon wrote that iVisor shouldn't have problems with the magnets of the Zaggkeys and one wrote that he uses iCarbons skins and a Skinomi screen protector, and if anything, the iPad is more stable when placed in the channel.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Space for iCarbons

I just ordered the Zaggkeys Pro Plus -keyboard for my iPad 4. The problem is that I am going to use iCarbons back skin and Moshi iVisor XT screen protector (you know the ones that come with 'fake iPad' black or white edges) with my iPad. Do you think the iPad will fit in the channel (typing position)?

At least one person in Amazon wrote that iVisor shouldn't have problems with the magnets of the Zaggkeys and one wrote that he uses iCarbons skins and a Skinomi screen protector, and if anything, the iPad is more stable when placed in the channel.

If the iCarbons is anything like one I have used for my Mac, it should work fine. I have a Zagg Leather skin which is somewhat thicker than most decal type skins on my iPad 2 and it fits into the Zagg Pro Plus just fine. Hope this helps.

In follow-up to an earlier reply of mine in this thread, I did purchase a couple of iPad mini keyboard cover cases that emulate the style of the Logitech and Zagg keyboards. The first one called the "3 in 1" almost scratched the back of the iPad mini when putting in and was hard to separate. The second one called a "Sharkks" had cramped keys and I made more typing mistakes than just using the virtual keyboard. The last one, a Groupon special had rubberized keys and was promptly wrapped up and sent back today.

Both Belkin and Logitech have just made announcements this week of a Ultrathin type keyboard cover for the Mini and have both stated they have been designed for a better typing experience and run about $80. Both attach to the Mini's Smart Cover magnets and open up like a book. Can't wait to try one of them.

Last edited:

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I can now confirm that an iPad 4 with iCarbons back skin and Moshi iVisor XT screen protector (which is a little thicker) work perfectly with the Zaggkeys Pro Plus. I can also say that the feel of the keyboard is excellent and that the iPad feels very stable when in the typing position. I placed it in the channel and then tried to tap the iPad harder and even lift and tilt the keyboard. The result? The iPad never once fell off.

I'm so glad I bought this product. :)

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Yesterday the iPad started slipping and falling backwards from the groove when I tapped the iPad a little harder a few times. As I did not have this problem in the beginning, I inspected the Zaggkeys for damages. I found some dirt in the groove where you place the iPad. After I removed the dirt, the iPad stayed firmly again in the groove.

I think it would be wise to inspect the groove every time you place the iPad in it. I also think it pays to carefully place the iPad in the groove and test (with a few harder taps) that it is positioned correctly.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
**UPDATE**

I may have spoken too hastily as my iPad has started slipping from the groove and falling backwards regularly. Cleaning the channel or placing the iPad in it doesn't help. I do think the Moshi iVisor XT screen protector I'm using might have something to do with it. I've heard similar things happening to those with other thicker protectors such as SPG Glas.T. On the other hand, I have noticed (running my finger along the bottom of the channel) unevenness on the surface (slight bumps).

I'm glad to say that I found an acceptable DIY fix to this problem. I placed a narrow strip of smooth (latex-like) electrical tape along the lip of the channel where the iPad's bezel would rest. This solution made the iPad stay in the channel. It doesn't look that bad either. Of course I could just not use a screen protector (or maybe use a thin, regular protector), but I really like the iVisor: no bubbles, added protection and, because of the fake bezels, it's hard to see that I'm even using a protector.

Azekecse

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
**UPDATE**

I may have spoken too hastily as my iPad has started slipping from the groove and falling backwards regularly. Cleaning the channel or placing the iPad in it doesn't help. I do think the Moshi iVisor XT screen protector I'm using might have something to do with it. I've heard similar things happening to those with other thicker protectors such as SPG Glas.T. On the other hand, I have noticed (running my finger along the bottom of the channel) unevenness on the surface (slight bumps).

I'm glad to say that I found an acceptable DIY fix to this problem. I placed a narrow strip of smooth (latex-like) electrical tape along the lip of the channel where the iPad's bezel would rest. This solution made the iPad stay in the channel. It doesn't look that bad either. Of course I could just not use a screen protector (or maybe use a thin, regular protector), but I really like the iVisor: no bubbles, added protection and, because of the fake bezels, it's hard to see that I'm even using a protector.

Thank you Tigerman, my ZaggProPlus keyboard also started to exhibit the same behavior after two weeks. I have a Zagg HD Front Shield on my IPad 4, I don't know if that is relative to the issue. However, utilizing electrical tape against the bezel as you recommended seems to have secured the Ipad. Now I can almost push the Ipad at a 45 degree angle and the Ipad remains secured within the bezel. Sweeet...

I will let you know of any change in status with implementing this solution.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Keyboard case vs standalone

I've been debating for a while on what keyboard to get if any for my Mini. I really love my Moshi VersaCover and didn't want to stop using it and replace it with a keyboard case.

So I've been looking into standalone keyboards but i like to have it covered. I know, I know...tooooo picky. lol.

But I saw this Logitech Tablet Keyboard (Keyboard-and-Stand Combo) on Amazon and it's gotten good reviews. I like that the case for the keyboard doubles as a stand if you need it but not necessary. So I can use my Moshi case and take the keyboard with me when I need it w/o having to swap cases. It just goes in the bag and the keyboard also stays protected. It's currently out of stock but I'm trying to find it locally. Anyone else use this keyboard?

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
So I've been looking into standalone keyboards but i like to have it covered. I know, I know...tooooo picky. lol.

I looked a LOT around and ended up buying a zaggkeys flex and kept my Apple Smart Case on for full protection (full size iPad)

Works as a charm! Great for quickly grabbing the iPad and going to meetings (use stylus for handwritten notes) and when returning to my desk putting it in the stand. Very light weight as well and small enough to fit in all my bags without any issues!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.