Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Just decided to hook up my Stereo speakers to my iMac but the sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any advice?

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Just decided to hook up my Stereo speakers to my iMac but the sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any advice?

Did you use a stereo jack? Is it pushed all the way into the iMac? Do the speakers work in stereo from another device?

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK

Sounds stupid I know but is the jack fully in on the speaker out port? as if not that can cause only one speaker to work.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is Balance set to the middle in System Preferences > Sound > Output?
And what source were you trying to play with what application to get the audio only on one speaker?
Have you checked all the physical connections from the iMac to the speakers and what exact speaker set do you use?

DaveJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Sounds stupid I know but is the jack fully in on the speaker out port? as if not that can cause only one speaker to work.

Yes mate, the jack is fully pushed into the out port. You can hear that the speaker is on but there is no sound coming from it.

----------

Did you use a stereo jack? Is it pushed all the way into the iMac? Do the speakers work in stereo from another device?

Yes mate, and the speakers work with other devices.

----------

Is Balance set to the middle in System Preferences > Sound > Output?
And what source were you trying to play with what application to get the audio only on one speaker?
Have you checked all the physical connections from the iMac to the speakers and what exact speaker set do you use?

Yes mate, the balance is set in the middle. All connections are fine, i'm trying to hook up my Samsung Stereo Speakers to the iMac.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
other silly question, if you use the internal speaker can you hear the sound balanced?

DaveJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
And again, what application did you use to play what kind of source?

Sorry mate, I don't understand what your point is? All I'm trying to do is use my speakers rather than the internal ones. When you say what application did you use and what kind of source, what do you mean.

----------

other silly question, if you use the internal speaker can you hear the sound balanced?

Yes mate, and the sound works perfectly through my headphones.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry mate, I don't understand what your point is? All I'm trying to do is use my speakers rather than the internal ones. When you say what application did you use and what kind of source, what do you mean.

You can use iTunes, QT Player X, VLC Player and many other software players to play a variety of sources (videos or music using different formats and such), and some of those sources might have many audio channels but the software player you use only plays back one channel (had that problem with some 5.1 sources and Movist).

It is probably not the case with your speaker set, but it was worth a try, in order to zoom into a solution.

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

DaveJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
You can use iTunes, QT Player X, VLC Player and many other software players to play a variety of sources (videos or music using different formats and such), and some of those sources might have many audio channels but the software player you use only plays back one channel (had that problem with some 5.1 sources and Movist).

It is probably not the case with your speaker set, but it was worth a try, in order to zoom into a solution.

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

Happens in all software mate, i'll try another account just incase.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
Are you positive the setup is set to "Stereo" and not "Mono"? If its set to mono it would explain why only one speaker is outputting sound. If its playing mono it would sound like the same style from an iPhone or other type of device. A stereo setup distributes the sound so some sound would be missing. Don't know if this makes sense but I'm drugged up with a collapsed lung at the hospital.

DaveJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Are you positive the setup is set to "Stereo" and not "Mono"? If its set to mono it would explain why only one speaker is outputting sound. If its playing mono it would sound like the same style from an iPhone or other type of device. A stereo setup distributes the sound so some sound would be missing. Don't know if this makes sense but I'm drugged up with a collapsed lung at the hospital.

Sorry to hear that mate, yeah i've been into system preferences and its all set to stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.