Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

they may as well tell people in advance, they sell so few of them if people wait it won't affect the bottom line and with the neglect the mac pro has seen it may keep people from switching to windows based servers

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Will it be a complete refresh or just a new chipset? Only time will tell.

I'd be quite happy either way. The current enclosure is fantastic. I'm sure a refresh of the enclosure would have compromises: lack of optical drive for example.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
How we know this isn't a slight design change to meet the EU regulations the current one fails?

Because they could have made the slight design change three years ago when the regulation was first published. Making the change so late that they'll actually lose sales for a couple of months doesn't make much sense.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I hoe this is a good refreshed update not just some small minor update that apple keep telling us that these minor updates are amazing when really there not e.g. introducing thunderbolt and just small tweaks. i would like to see maybe a redesign a slightly smaller mac pro perhaps:D

Why make it smaller? Its a chuffin workstation.

Aside from a minor re-design and updated parts I can't see what else can be done.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Will it be a complete refresh or just a new chipset? Only time will tell.

A complete redesign. It will only be 25mm thick, and will not have any optical bays or easily accessible ram. Aren't you excited !!!?

symber

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
London
Groundbreaking design

I wonder if they'll be able to make it taper to a 5mm edge. It'll look like a big metal slice of pork pie. But so thin!!!

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I really wish apple would make something like the iMac but without the screen.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Such a shame leekohler got banned. I'd really like to rub this under his very nose! Love it!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
June, just like every year. But they don't announce new hardware there - that'll be all for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.

They announce new hardware there all the time, and they've announced Mac Pros there before.

What exactly do you have in mind? That would be the Mac mini, frankly.

The Mac mini has no PCI slots. I'd like to see a tower that costs no more than $1500--consumer iMac level CPU, upgradable graphics card, expandability. I've given up on Apple ever doing this, so I just built a Hackintosh instead.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Will it really hurt replacing the "spring" word with a month name? Or maybe you can say 2 times spring and 1 time march. (try googling for spring)

Thanks!

Now, I need some coffee

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
probably they will be released togheter with an update version of the TB display..
Just a a guess!

I'd like an updated TB display as well. Make it as thin or thinner than the iMac for consistency sake, replace USB 2 with USB 3. Maybe add SD card slot.

Specifically for the Mac Pro, I see it dumping the optical drive, gaining USB 3 & TB and newer CPU & GPU.

And for those people who have a 2010 MP, you may want to look at these 3rd party upgrades, http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/MacPro/2010_Xeon_Processor

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

4. Integrated Graphics only. No dedicated GPU.

5. Will run iOS instead of OSX.

6. No more Optical drive.

:D

Like 12 seconds after I buy a hackintosh! I'm not kidding! :mad:

Cancel the order, if not, return for a full refund while you still can.

Razzerman II

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Scunthorpe - yes, that place
What exactly do you have in mind? That would be the Mac mini, frankly.

I think most folks here would like a little more graphics power than the little old mini. Good little machines, but not what you'd class as an expandable, semi future proof computer.

I for one would like to be able to upgrade my graphics card after a couple of years, maybe even the hard drive too. That doesn't sound like the mini as it stands now.

Cheers,

Ray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.