Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VasileiosTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Any way for a hard disk to be added to thunderbolt display? To use it for time machine or extended drive capacity, or even an ssd to tranform your macbook to a fusion drive? I am just wishing....

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Any way for a hard disk to be added to thunderbolt display? To use it for time machine or extended drive capacity, or even an ssd to tranform your macbook to a fusion drive? I am just wishing....

It could have a hard drive yes, but not for a fusion drive. A fusion drive requires both drives to be present all the time.

I doubt you'll see a hard disk in it though. At some point, you just start adding features fewer and fewer people will use, all the while adding cost. An external USB 3 or Thunderbolt drive makes more sense for most folks.

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
Hope the new ones don't have the image retention problem 27" iMac users have been reporting.

It's interesting how people by-and-large tout Apple products as having so few problems.. I just switched last week from an HP Envy laptop to a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt display and I have had so many problems I've lost count. I'm sending my Thunderbolt display back today for an exchange due to a loud buzzing coming out of the speakers and non-responsiveness about 50% of the time when I plug it in to my MacBook. The laptop's SuperDrive stopped working (2012 model) and the computer lags when doing basic tasks (2.6ghz Ivy Bridge with 16gb ram) Still hanging in there.. but jeez..

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
It's interesting how people by-and-large tout Apple products as having so few problems.. I just switched last week from an HP Envy laptop to a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt display and I have had so many problems I've lost count. I'm sending my Thunderbolt display back today for an exchange due to a loud buzzing coming out of the speakers and non-responsiveness about 50% of the time when I plug it in to my MacBook. The laptop's SuperDrive stopped working (2012 model) and the computer lags when doing basic tasks (2.6ghz Ivy Bridge with 16gb ram) Still hanging in there.. but jeez..

circa7
This will not help you in any tangible way, but the lag is not normal and should be fixed somehow. lots of good folks on this forum can help you. Last time a similar problem came up on a new mac, the person had crashplan running full on, another was having issues with spotlight indexing a gazillion files... bottom line apple support is also wonderful to assist , stick with it, unless you have a dud, this comp will give you many years of reliable performance
If not happy, just get it replaced, apple will make it right

sorry for the typos, I will lose connection in a f

(just kidding still here) wish you a speedy resolution

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
circa7
This will not help you in any tangible way, but the lag is not normal and should be fixed somehow. lots of good folks on this forum can help you. Last time a similar problem came up on a new mac, the person had crashplan running full on, another was having issues with spotlight indexing a gazillion files... bottom line apple support is also wonderful to assist , stick with it, unless you have a dud, this comp will give you many years of reliable performance
If not happy, just get it replaced, apple will make it right

sorry for the typos, I will lose connection in a f

(just kidding still here) wish you a speedy resolution

Thanks for the response. I've done pretty much everything to help solve the lag issue - from verifying and repairing disks to doing a clean install. The problem is that it's very sporadic.. I doubt I could replicate it at an Apple store unless I got very lucky. I've been trying to pinpoint what causes the issue so I have activity monitor running almost 24/7 so I can take a quick peek when the issue occurs. My CPU and RAM usage are almost always low, regardless of system performance. I've never dealt with Apple on these issues so I don't know how they would respond; either tell me I'm crazy or swap something out? Not sure. I ran a hardware test by pressing D at startup and all comes out clean.

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for the response. I've done pretty much everything to help solve the lag issue - from verifying and repairing disks to doing a clean install. The problem is that it's very sporadic.. I doubt I could replicate it at an Apple store unless I got very lucky. I've been trying to pinpoint what causes the issue so I have activity monitor running almost 24/7 so I can take a quick peek when the issue occurs. My CPU and RAM usage are almost always low, regardless of system performance. I've never dealt with Apple on these issues so I don't know how they would respond; either tell me I'm crazy or swap something out? Not sure. I ran a hardware test by pressing D at startup and all comes out clean.

give them a call and they make you go through the various checks routine, it may just fix it (it did for me)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri

I can't vouch for others, but I'll tell you why I prefer Apple products.

First off, while I have had issues in 20+ years of owning Apple stuff, they are always fixed by Apple. I've had some duds, some crappy products, you name it. It's not all been perfect, but Apple has, at least for me, ALWAYS made it right.

And, far more of the products ARE very good compared to their competitors.

I've had an HP and an Acer DUD, I mean COMPLETE dud. The HP ended up in the trash after a year of fighting with HP, even getting the attorney general involved. The computer would never boot. It would run for a minute then randomly shut off. I sent it back, 3 months later it got sent back to me with a letter that they no longer stock the component (logic board) that had failed and thus could not repair the computer. So I called and asked if I could have a refund, they said "No, we don't give refunds, you have to go through the store". Well guess what, it had been over 3 months thanks to HP's slow service!

It took a couple YEARS, but finally the Missouri Attorney General got me my refund. Sheesh!

The Acer was taken care of, it was a laptop, but it took 4 months to get it back from their repair facility. However they were exceptionally helpful and polite.

However, my Apple products have always been promptly taken care of if any issue at all. My iPhone's speaker quit working, so I went to an Apple store and they gave me another one, bada-bing. My friend brought his 5 year old out-of-warranty MacBook in when the hard drive failed. They replaced it for FREE out of warranty.

So, for ME, it's the service. It's the fact that, if I get a dud, it's okay, because Apple is going to make it right.

So the reason for that is to A) Answer your question (why we buy them despite the occasional dud product), and B) Encourage you to see if Apple will make it right for you. If possible, I've always had much better luck at the Apple store, though over the phone it's not bad. Apple Store Geniuses have the authority to kind of 'bend the rules' a little, and they often do to make a customer happy. Some of us get luckier than others (like my friend getting a free hard drive for his 5 year old MacBook), but still, they are gonna make you happy.

Apple HAS had some REAL duds in the past though. But they've always made it right. OS X 10.0 was bug city and folks hated it, it wasn't the solid stable Mac OS they were used to. So Apple release OS X 10.1 for free. Remember 'antennagate' with the iPhone 4? Personally I never had an issue but lots of people did. Apple vehemently denied the issue, but, despite that, offered free cases for several months. A free solution to remedy the issue. My Samsung Windows Mobile phone had that issue like no tomorrow, if your finger touched the back at the bottom the call dropped, you lost signal. I and others who owned it accepted it as a quirk of a smartphone, it was no big deal. But because of Apples reputation, they are under an intense microscope to provide flawless products, even if a particular issue is common among the competition.

My $0.02 anyway!

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
How big a 1080p display you can get for $200? It better be no bigger than 21" Because anything bigger with the same resolution is no longer fit to be a computer display, more like HDTV.

27" display is useful if you're used to open 2 windows side by side. It improves your workflow and efficiency.. And no 27" computer display should go lower than 1440p.

And if you buy a $1000 Apple display, for $200 more, you only get 21.5" iMac or 13" MBP .. Not the same 27", not even close.

Sorry, if you were to spend $800 more, still less than the display itself and a much better design. Oh it can also be used as a standalone display.

Weirdo

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I am going to get a new iMac and Thunderbolt Display so have been waiting for the possible thunderbolt upgrade.

My main reason is the height. It will really annoy me them not being level.

Can a one confirm that the late 2012 iMac does not line up with the current iMac.

I can live with only USB 2 and as they may not make the new display line up I am thinking about just buying it now.

Are the screens the same in the new 27 iMac and thunderbolt?

Thanks

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Im just hoping Apple lets us know prior to January 29th.. That's the last day I can return the Display I just bought!

new redesigned iMacs are out and are much thinner then the thunderbolt display, it's obvious a new version is coming out

you should definitely return it. I have the new 27" iMac, color is much more vivid and reflection is unnoticeable

turo rudi

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
HU
I was wondering whether today's MR story about the new Mac Pro models showing up in "Spring 2013" might mean that the refreshed ATB displays would be announced at the same time. Hmm...

Displays must be coming sooner, I guess. Shipping time has shifted to 3-5 business days in the US Store (both displays were in stock a few hours ago).

Friday? Next Tuesday? :D

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Maybe! With a new Mac Pro that may be reason for a new TB display. Although I STILL don't think Apple will drop the Cinema display. Way too many Macs (ANY current Mac Pro and any Mac more than a couple years old), and almost ALL PC's won't work with the thunderbolt display...

Ancaster

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Subscribed.

Already have a U2711 in the office. Bought a MacMini and I need a new monitor in the kitchen. Can't wait for a new TB using a slimmer updated profile hopefully, with USB3 and headphone port.

When is the next Apple product announcement?

joeloco

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Malta, Europe
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.