Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxHarryson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
EDIT: i ment 10.8.2 !! Sorry for misleading title !
EDIT 2: Works all right in w7 but it doesn't seem to outperform my 6870 by that much, possible CPU bottleneck?

I recently bought a Asus 670 gtx DirectCU II (or some other irrelevant suffix), the version with 2 6pin (i think that there is one asus version that has 1 6+2)¨

I updated to 10.8.2 and plugged the card into slot 2 since it won't fit into slot 1. It gives me no boot screen, as expected. But when it the screen finally turns on its full white, no mouse cursor or anything.

When i plugged in my 8800 gt into slot 1, keeping the 670 in slot two so that it would be faster switching back (removed all power cables from it ofc) the computer started doing an infinite restart loop, restarting at some point after the spinny thing pops up underneath the apple during startup. I tried restarting it a few times, including starting it up in safe and from the ML disk, everything yielding the same result.

At the final restart attempt I removed the 670. Suddenly it works again. I installed the latest drivers from nVidia and put the 670 back in. Still, whitescreen.

I popped the 8800gt in and switched to windows in bootcamp, then placed the 670 back in. It seems to be working in windows fully (Im going to try some 3d games on it now) after installing drivers from the website.

Anyone know whats wrong ?
As a side note, i had a 6870 previously but it gave me a blackscreen for some reason, even after installing all the kexts (or what they are called, I'm not that good on Mac OsX unfortunately). Worked the first time in OsX tough and also worked perfectly when booted into windows.

MP 3.1, 2x2.8 xeon, 8800gt / 670, 4gb ram

Recap:

- Asus 670 gtx gives no boot screen and then full whitescreen, nothing happening for 20+ minutes

-Updated drivers from website

-8800gt works when 670 is not plugged in, otherwise restart loop

-670 works under windows 7 64bit

Last edited:

MaxHarryson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Does reinstalling mean that i lose all of my files unless i back them up ?

edit : Read something about some other guy who had a similar problem but reinstalled drivers and had it work. Also seems that my card actually goes into the first slot, will try to boot with it there

edit 2: tried reinstalling OSX from the CD, nothing changed. I did not do a clean wipe and then reinstall everything tough. Will try and uninstall all drivers i installed then try again

Last edited:

MaxHarryson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Bumpin

Anyone else have any possible fixes ? Will it possibly work better in 10.8.3 ? should get "downgrade" to lion ?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Bumpin

Anyone else have any possible fixes ? Will it possibly work better in 10.8.3 ? should get "downgrade" to lion ?

This is my setup in MAC PRO 3.1 OS X 10.8.2! :apple::D

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16745377#post16745377

BOOTCAMP%205_0.jpg

Goodluck mate!

Cheers

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
We all know that GTX 670 should work with 10.8.2 and you are hesitant to do a clean install, therefore here's an easier way for you: Find an external or USB drive with at least 16GB and do a clean install of 10.8.2 on it and then use it as a boot drive. If it works fine with the GTX 670, you know you have conflicting files in your original drive probably from the ones you installed earlier for the 6870. Since it works under Windows, it can't be defective. Good luck.

Last edited:

MaxHarryson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Awesome. I´m not sure wether to choose GTX 670, or wait for 10.8.3 and the HD 7950....

rumors say that 7950 has better money/performance ratio. The 670 is being bottlenecked quite a bit by my computer. However, its gonna go into a gaming pc soon so its k

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
They will cost me the same, so it´s a matter of AMD or nVidia.
The GTX 670 is almost $100 over the Radeon 7950 in the US and it has better overall performance. The main advantage of the 7950 is in the OpenCL and GPGPU area. Unless you are into OpenCL, it's a no brainer to pick the GTX 670 especially when they have the same price and NVIDIA has a much better driver support for Mac OS X.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
The GTX 670 is almost $100 over the Radeon 7950 in the US and it has better overall performance. The main advantage of the 7950 is in the OpenCL and GPGPU area. Unless you are into OpenCL, it's a no brainer to pick the GTX 670 especially when they have the same price and NVIDIA has a much better driver support for Mac OS X.
Well, maybe it´s better to wait for some test with the 7950 - and 10.8.3 :D

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I'm wakening this thread ;)

I have a Mac Pro 3.1 with ML 8.4 and a GTX 670 4GB…
I can't manage to have open CL working… Anyone has an idea ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjv0thg8quemsa7/fQl1wl88eV

Thx

Have been helping poster on another board.

He received defective cards from a vendor in Hong Kong. We discovered that his GTX670 was only outputting 1100 Single Precision Gigaflops in CUDA-Z. Card should output around 1600. Also, once we got OpenCl working by removing the defective GT120 he was getting 400fps on OpenCl Waves benchmark. Should be over 500.

BAdly flashed card limiting throughput.

Others using GTX670 should be able to verify.

hmls

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Have been helping poster on another board.

He received defective cards from a vendor in Hong Kong. We discovered that his GTX670 was only outputting 1100 Single Precision Gigaflops in CUDA-Z. Card should output around 1600. Also, once we got OpenCl working by removing the defective GT120 he was getting 400fps on OpenCl Waves benchmark. Should be over 500.

BAdly flashed card limiting throughput.

Others using GTX670 should be able to verify.

Oh.. I saw your post at another forum, You mean that vendor Mxxgraphicfans? He is from Taiwan , AFAIK .

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Oh.. I saw your post at another forum, You mean that vendor Mxxgraphicfans? He is from Taiwan , AFAIK .

I was trying to avoid using names.

In any case, anyone with a flashed for Mac GTX670 should make sure that they get 1600 Single Precision Gigaflops in CUDA-Z. They should also get around 525 FPS in the OpenCl Oceanwaves test.

These scores are easily acheivable with a PC one running in OSX so one with an EFI should not take a 25% performance hit just for a boot screen.

Here is an example of another one running in OSX:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...wave-bandwidth-bench-07-march-2013/?p=1894922

The nice thing about both of those benchamrks I have mentioned is that they are largely CPU and resolution independent. So any Mac running them should get similar score from same GPU. ANy GTX670 that only scores 400/1100 has an incorrectly written rom that is throttling speeds.

This throttling will affect everything done with card, from games to OpenCl to CUDA to rendering the desktop.

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
EVGA GTX-670 FTW 4GB -> flashed-to-the-Mac?

Hi MVC,

Been searching the MR forums and it seems to me that the GTX-670 is a more or less forgotten PC GPU regarding the flash-for-mac routine?

I would like to flash my GTX-670 for:
1. Getting PCI 2.0 speeds in Windows 8
2. Getting better (cooler) overall temp maintenance and lesser power consumption (green machine)
3. Free up one PCIe slot (#3) now in use by a 8800 GT Mac for bootscreen/maintenance, because there are so much more nice pci-cards to add to a MP :rolleyes:

add: moved the GTX to a MP 5.1 2012

TIA for your directions.

~ Cheers

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
There is no easy way to write and flash EFI for anything other than 680.

The roms now have 5 parts whereas a GTX285 had 1. And all 5 parts have to be in concert. The EFI replaces the UEFI which is now one of the 5. The other 4 and the EFI all have to have pieces that correspond to each other.

Sometimes takes me several hours to get one right.

I always meant to offer GTX670s but manufacturers keep switching RAM, I get a rom working, and then it gets broken by fresh batch of identical looking cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.