Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
does anyone here know if theres a way to make a 25fps source mkv go to 24fps (or 23.9fps) in handbrake? AND as a result, bring back the pitch to normal?

im really not happy with the PAL pitch raise on some of my dvd's.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well, the only thing you can do is set HB to use a 24 fps constant frame rate. Of course it will drop one frame every second on a 25 fps source.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Well, the only thing you can do is set HB to use a 24 fps constant frame rate. Of course it will drop one frame every second on a 25 fps source.

but is that going to bring the pitch down and keep the audio in sync??

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Depends on the source and how it was converted originally from ntsc to pal. All I can say is give it a try. Maybe do one chapter and see how well it works.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
strange, info in vlc reports 24fps, and the audio appears in sync, but the pitch hasn't changed. how does that work??

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
strange, info in vlc reports 24fps, and the audio appears in sync, but the pitch hasn't changed. how does that work??

What exactly do you mean by "pitch" ? I will presume you mean the pitch of the audio track. HB will keep the video and audio in sync even when you change the frame rate. It will not change however the pitch of the audio. Video is synced to audio basically.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
What exactly do you mean by "pitch" ? I will presume you mean the pitch of the audio track. HB will keep the video and audio in sync even when you change the frame rate. It will not change however the pitch of the audio. Video is synced to audio basically.

yeah, thats exactly what i want to change most - the pitch of the audio.

i guess the only way to do it is to use Audacity.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Only way to do it properly is to conform it to 24fps rather than convert. This would also lower the pitch which was already lowered during the original conforming to 25fps. FCP would do this I guess.

Converting would keep the pitch but would not be an ideal solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.