Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Great idea... let's try it at the Apple Store, perhaps that will get more attention for the bug and promote better code quality in OSX.

Head to the Apple Stre one morning, and go from Mac to Mac doing this in System Preferences... Log off one by one, then leave the store.

I dare ya :)

Last edited:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
No its not, or at least doesnt seem to be. I'm also in the UK and it happens for me. I take it you tried it in Textedit and arent typing at the pace of a granny?

N O I R E A D T H E P O S T , you young whippersnapper. Yup text edit and various apps from Chrome to Cinema 4d to Premiere.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Ugh. I just tried to contact an Apple representative about this, and as soon as I described the problem, they hung up on me. This bug goes deep, man.

What a hilarious response. Poor Apple, they're stumbling a lot lately. Under the competitive pressure Android & Samsung are applying, it's no wonder Apple's nerves are on edge.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ugh. I just tried to contact an Apple representative about this, and as soon as I described the problem, they hung up on me. This bug goes deep, man.

It sure does, which is why the disabeling of these desn't always work.

I still say go to an Apple store and get them to do it to one if their own machines, with the store crowded, during the day, it HAS to make an impression on them. They cannot deny anything.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What a hilarious response. Poor Apple, they're stumbling a lot lately. Under the competitive pressure Android & Samsung are applying, it's no wonder Apple's nerves are on edge.

I don't buy that someone from Apple hung up on the caller intentionally. 10.8.3 will fix this bug, it's not a big deal.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Yes, even your wikipedia entry is clear :
Your quote says something about machine/network resources which automatically excludes applications because they simply aren't resources. Applications can be considered services that use resources. By targeting 1 or more resources you can cause a service to not be available any longer (because something doesn't respond and the entire thing hangs).

And that's the main reason why he's right and you're not: DoS/DDoS are targeted attacks at a certain resource(s) in order to make a service unavailable. This is not what's happening with this bug. You simply use a feature in the OS but it reacts in an unexpected way.

This bug can be used in a DoS/DDoS attack as you've said earlier but that's not what he was pointing out (read what he wrote carefully, I didn't see it the first time either). Although this is true it may not be a very realistic attack. It only really annoys a user, not an entire company. If you look at other attacks they are mostly aimed at retrieving data or at disrupting services to many users causing lots of loss of money. It's not a very attractive attack compared to others. Apple has already solved it in the newest 10.8.3 build so all in all I wouldn't be too worried about it.

If I send you a iMessage with File:/// as the contents, your iMessage application will crash. It's thus unavaible to you.
The OS X app hangs and will crash but the service will remain untouched. You'll still receive it on your other devices such as your iPhone, iPad, Mac running non-Mountain Lion, etc. Thus your conclusion is too simplistic. It is only valid for people who have only 1 device which is a Mac running OS X v10.8.2 (in other words: it is only valid in a very specific situation).

This is a bug that can result in a DoS exploit if you want to be a nitpicker.
That's why there is a definition of what a DoS is.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
My Mac is still crashing several times a day! What is up with this, Apple?

Are you trolling here? B/c 1. Apple isn't here. 2. it seems like you have a troll signature 3. you aren't reporting what software you are using. 3. the hardware you are using. 4. applications that are running when your mac crashes. 5.This is the wrong thread for you question anyway.

I see you already posted this "problem" in another thread. Offer more specifics in that thread or here, and I'll try and help.

Edit: didn't you say in a previous comment that your hardware doesn't support ML?

Last edited:

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Are you trolling here? B/c 1. Apple isn't here. 2. it seems like you have a troll signature 3. you aren't reporting what software you are using. 3. the hardware you are using. 4. applications that are running when your mac crashes. 5.This is the wrong thread for you question anyway.

I see you already posted this "problem" in another thread. Offer more specifics in that thread or here, and I'll try and help.

Edit: didn't you say in a previous comment that your hardware doesn't support ML?

I'm running a rMBP 15". It seems to do it with multiple applications, but I almost always have at least 2 browsers up (Safari and either Chrome or Firefox) and VLC. So I suppose it might be one of those.

I tried turning off "automatic graphics." I'm not sure if that was the issue, but it's only crashed once since I switched that 2 days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.