Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inabsentia7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
No, just means youll notice it less if the oleophobic coating starts to scratch and wear more and become more uniform again.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at :) but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
It's a trade off we have to live with. I would rather have the coating and have hairline scratches than not having it. Otherwise it will be smuged all over.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Had an iPhone 4s for over a year. Babied it and NEVER had a scratch. Two weeks after owning my iPhone 5 and treating it the same....... SCRATCH. It's clear that 5 doesn't have the same resilience that the 4s has.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.

Inabsentia7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.
Oh that's fine then. As long as the actual screen surface isn't scratched I'm great

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Had an iPhone 4S,before that a 4 and now an iP5-all without screen protectors,and apart from a few hairline in iP4,had none scratches in 4S and now 2 months into 5,no scratches to speak off-yes I do baby them though.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at :) but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(

I've used my iPad 3 without a screen protector, but using a Smart Cover, since launch and the screen is perfect. And that's after scrutinising it under light.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

This is the primary reason why I put a skin on my iPhone. I had the olephobic coating wear off on one of my older iPhones and it looked like crap. I use ghost armor to protect the coating and thus the resale value.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I really can't understand why people don't strongly consider a screen protector for their devices. There are just so many posts about people who baby their devices and still get scratches and then complain of these scratches and that the QC of the device is poor.

We simply aren't at the point yet where a phone/tablet screen is completely scratch/scuff proof. True, they are getting better, but regular use, despite being careful, may not be enough to prevent scratching. Just think of all the ways that we use our phones/tablets. It's hard to be completely careful all of the time.

The current generation of screen protectors are of such high quality that they are barely noticeable and hardly detract from the screen clarity.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Extremely common topic. Scratch resistant != unscratchable. Being careful can help to prevent scratches but it's not a guarantee.

Whether it's common or not is irrelevant. Each person has to decided what precautionary measures one is willing to take. If you can't stand scratches at all then use a screen protector.

Also, keys are not harder than glass so they won't scratch glass. However, sand, for example, will.

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it.
Probably small grit harder than your screen. Using microfiber doesn't help if it has such grit on it. Not saying that's what happened to you but don't just assume that microfiber won't scratch. It can easily pick up stuff that will scratch if you're not careful.

I wouldn't just assume that. Depends on the specific scratch and how deep it is.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!

Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.

I believe apple downgraded the glass from iphone 5.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
My iPhone 4 never got any scratches, then I get buy an Olloclip for my iphone 5 and first thing I see when I take it off....scratch -_____- i refuse to use screen protectors because my Olloclip lens will just tear em' up when I use it to take photos.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
*looks at screen* nope mine is flawless (no case, no screen protector) - launch day iPhone 5

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I've got an extremely small hairline scratch on my iPhone 5. Like the OP, I've literally no idea where it came from, especially since the rest of the phone is in mint condition.

I own two iPod touches and an iPad 2, and none of them have a single scratch on the screen.

Annoying.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
The rivets on my jeans are the usual culprit for screen scratches on my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.