Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:57 AM   #1
joe8232
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Warning: Large SSDs and Seagate Thunderbolt adapters

Thought I would just write a quick post for people considering buying a large ssd (>256gb) for booting from a seagate thunderbolt adapter (STAE121 etc).

I originally had a 256gb M4 booting from the seagate portable thunderbolt adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-GoFlex...ywords=stae121) with absolutely no issues.

I then came across a 512gb m4 going quite cheap so bought it and tried in the adapter. The drive would mount but whenever I tried to do anything with it, the drive would break and be unmountable again. I spoke with Crucial and they didn't seem to be able to sort the problem so they sent a replacement drive. The exact same thing happened with the new drive which suggested that the problem wasn't with the drive.

After a lot of googling, I came across the blog post http://wolfgangtechnology.blogspot.c...t-adapter.html which seems to suggest that thunderbolt alone does not supply enough power for large ssds.

With this in mind a fresh drive from Crucial I bought this adapter, http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H8...op-hard-drives which comes with a power supply. Since then I have had absolutely no issues with the 512gb m4 drive.

Hope this will be of use to anyone considering purchasing a thunderbolt caddy in the future.
joe8232 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
mario24601
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8232 View Post
Thought I would just write a quick post for people considering buying a large ssd (>256gb) for booting from a seagate thunderbolt adapter (STAE121 etc).

I originally had a 256gb M4 booting from the seagate portable thunderbolt adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-GoFlex...ywords=stae121) with absolutely no issues.

I then came across a 512gb m4 going quite cheap so bought it and tried in the adapter. The drive would mount but whenever I tried to do anything with it, the drive would break and be unmountable again. I spoke with Crucial and they didn't seem to be able to sort the problem so they sent a replacement drive. The exact same thing happened with the new drive which suggested that the problem wasn't with the drive.

After a lot of googling, I came across the blog post http://wolfgangtechnology.blogspot.c...t-adapter.html which seems to suggest that thunderbolt alone does not supply enough power for large ssds.

With this in mind a fresh drive from Crucial I bought this adapter, http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H8...op-hard-drives which comes with a power supply. Since then I have had absolutely no issues with the 512gb m4 drive.

Hope this will be of use to anyone considering purchasing a thunderbolt caddy in the future.
Any pictures of your setup?
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
There have been other threads stating the exact same thing. philipma was probably one of the first to point this out. Using a 250GB SSD is fine, but a 500GB was too much power draw. Either way, you are better off with the goflex desktop version anyway so you can use the Thunderbolt out as well (so now you can put even more devices on your thunderbolt).
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
joe8232
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
There have been other threads stating the exact same thing. philipma was probably one of the first to point this out. Using a 250GB SSD is fine, but a 500GB was too much power draw. Either way, you are better off with the goflex desktop version anyway so you can use the Thunderbolt out as well (so now you can put even more devices on your thunderbolt).
Aah, I wasn't aware of someone already mentioning this. It definitely appears that the desktop version is the on to go with. Have been using it with the 512gb m4 and have had no problems so far *fingers crossed*.
joe8232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
jimmiesner
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8232 View Post

With this in mind a fresh drive from Crucial I bought this adapter, http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H8...op-hard-drives which comes with a power supply. Since then I have had absolutely no issues with the 512gb m4 drive.
I am interested in this adapter, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Do you remember which one it is?

Thanks,
Jim
jimmiesner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
g4cube
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiesner View Post
I am interested in this adapter, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Do you remember which one it is?

Thanks,
Jim
This would be the Seagate Desktop Thunderbolt adapter, STAE129:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskto.../dp/B009HQCAPQ
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caldigit Thunderbolt + Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex Desk = 2 monitor MacBook setup? BonsaiBit Mac Peripherals 1 Feb 14, 2014 01:54 PM
High capacity Thunderbolt SSDs rodrigoluizb Mac Peripherals 5 Dec 21, 2013 06:58 PM
Are there any HDMI to ThunderBolt adapters yet? mbarriault Mac Peripherals 17 Oct 18, 2013 06:10 AM
DVI to Thunderbolt adapters drtanz Mac Peripherals 1 Apr 15, 2013 08:03 AM
512GB SSDs with Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter Jimmdean Mac Peripherals 0 Dec 19, 2012 02:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC