Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #26
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucurv View Post
I can see your argument. The fact is that consoles are very limited PCs, and I mean really really limited. Browsing the web on a PS3 is a nightmare. The way that it handles flash is just ridiculous. On that matter, consoles also stink at productivity/utility tasks, which can be easily handled by not-so-limited PCs.

Don't get me wrong, my PS3 is the center of all of my Entertainment needs on my living room, but that's about it; Hence, why consoles are not considered PCs.
I wouldn't call tablets running a mobile OS a PC either, they just don't compare to a full desktop OS in many regards, productivity and utility tasks on them are often complete nightmares in comparison to a Desktop OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
It's a type of computer, known as a console.

I don't think people will start to call consoles computers anytime soon, whereas people buy tablets to replace computers.
A certain audience who only perform simple tasks could do with just a tablet yes, but for a lot of people something like an iPad or Android tablet couldn't replace a Computer, it's a consumption device meant to compliment a PC. Who honestly would say "Pass me the PC" if they wanted you to hand them a tablet?
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Dr McKay is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #27
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
I thought they held more of the market than that, honestly.
__________________
iPhone 5s 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:38 PM   #28
nazaar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
If you are going to combine Apples iPad with desktops then you better combine the XBox too and all other gaming machines.
The iPad doesn't compare to a fully featured desktop operating system as much as a gaming console/device which also has web, email, etc. does.

Come back with meaningful stats. next time.
This is a silly argument.

Tablet / iPad like hardware fall under the PC category... Xboxe, PS3, PS2, Wii, etc under gaming consoles. Sure you can use them to browse the web, watch movies and stuff, but they're still not a personal computer. I mean really... did you fall and hit your head or something?
nazaar is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:42 PM   #29
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Let's use *LTD* logic. If the numbers make Apple look good, they are relevant. If they make another company look good and Apple bad, they are irrelevant. Nice and simple.
AppleScruff1 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:42 PM   #30
a.gomez
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

Apple sold 4million computers - and 21million toys.
__________________
30 Cinema display, VAIO Z i7-QM MacPro 8Core 2.4Xeon Vaio Flip 15 i7
a.gomez is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #31
11thIndian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Using the same argument that classes the iPad as a computer, would you not class the Xbox as a computer too? It has RAM, a Processor, Video Card, Hard drive. It runs an Operating System and can run apps and games.
Why isn't the Xbox in the same category? Because no one is buying an Xbox as a pc replacement- You know what it is. I know what it is. It's a gaming console with added functionality. Just like no one is going to count an iPhone in this category; because it a phone with added functionality. They have their own categories in which they fight for marketshare.

A PC is a generic category with no preordained use. That's what traditional PCs are... and that's what the iPad is. Trying to eschew the iPad out of this market would just deny the impact it's having on the industry. If even a small number of people have stopped buying a PC and are replacing it with an iPad... that's what these reports are for!
11thIndian is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

Apple sold 4million computers - and 21million toys.
How dare you specify OS X laptops as true OS X machines. MacBook air in the same category as Mac Pros?

Only Mac Pros are the true Apple computers
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:48 PM   #33
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucurv View Post
I can see your argument. The fact is that consoles are very limited PCs, and I mean really really limited. Browsing the web on a PS3 is a nightmare. The way that it handles flash is just ridiculous. On that matter, consoles also stink at productivity/utility tasks, which can be easily handled by not-so-limited PCs.

Don't get me wrong, my PS3 is the center of all of my Entertainment needs on my living room, but that's about it; Hence, why consoles are not considered PCs.
I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #34
trip1ex
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
They are all pcs. Consoles too. Sony used to make a Linux kit for the Playstation.

Today's ipad is more powerful than the pcs of roughly 10-15 years ago. Pcs that were used in the sciences and in business etc. Graphically speaking it is farther ahead than that because of specialized processors and decoders.

And the iPad form factor only gets more powerful every year. And so every year it will gain the ability to do more tasks that you previously needed a laptop or desktop to accomplish.

Given that extra power in today's pc is generally wasted on the average user; the iPad will "catch up" to pcs as far as the average joe is concerned.

At the same time some there will always be cases where the more processing power the faster the task. Anything involving lots of heavy calculations especially ones that can be done in parallel will benefit from more processing power. and those cases will make use of the fastest chips that require bigger form factors due to cooling issues and cant stray far from power outlets because they require lots of power. But those cases will grow more specialized.

Last edited by trip1ex; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
trip1ex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #35
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
PC stands for "personal computer".
Yes it does which is why it doesn't make any sense to say mac vs pc because a mac IS a pc.

The rest of your statement..... Not so much in agreement...
thehustleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.
Please, i have a ps3 and love it for gaming but browsing the web on it could not suck more. And its not flash.

The browser engine sucks

The input method sucks.

Try again.
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:51 PM   #37
camnchar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, Utah
Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Here's some meaningful stats: In the last year, Apple TVs sold more units than either XBox or Wii.
Seriously?
__________________
Apple //c, 1 MHz, 128k RAM, 5.25" floppy drive, 1-button mouse
camnchar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:54 PM   #38
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
why is anyone talking about classification of PC or Not.

Come on I mean computers at first didn't have screens or mouses, just switches on the front! A personal computer is everything from a smart phone to a tower in my eyes a computer is not defined how an analyst does in stats.

That said PC used to be defined by having a mouse, keyboard, monitor and an OS that allowed creation on new code and applications.

A tablet even android ones don't really create anything like a PC style system can create. It's this that means an analyst won't count consoles, servers, phones, tablets in the count. Though I think it's possible to say that a tablet and a phone are a personal computer in every way.
alexgowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:54 PM   #39
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Please, i have a ps3 and love it for gaming but browsing the web on it could not suck more. And its not flash.

The browser engine sucks

The input method sucks.

Try again.
Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am...
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:54 PM   #40
yeah
macrumors 6502a
 
yeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

Apple sold 4million computers - and 21million toys.

I think Apple is perfectly capable of not doing the same a microsoft.
__________________
2014 Macbook Air, 1.4 GHz Haswell i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz RAM, 128 GB PCI-e Flash, Intel HD 5000 ; 16 GB iPhone 5S Gold with the Un-Carrier ; iPad 2 16 GB White with Wi-Fi and a Surface 2 tablet.
yeah is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:00 PM   #41
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Seriously?
Seriously. Apple TV sales have gone up, XBox and Wii sales have seriously dropped. Wii U was supposed to sell 5 million per year but only did 3.5 million, and Apple TV did 1.7 million in the last quarter alone, and over 4 million per year.
gnasher729 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:01 PM   #42
blucurv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.
Flash is beside the point. The point is that consoles can't be used for anything other than entertainment, whereas tablets do way more than just entertainment.
blucurv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #43
slffl
macrumors 65816
 
slffl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.
"Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am... "

Look in the mirror

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

Apple sold 4million computers - and 21million toys.
Let's see, they are both built on Unix, and you can program whatever you want for them. Exactly what is your argument here?
__________________
Why waste your time posting how much you hate Apple products?
slffl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #44
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pearl of the Orient
Oh! Well done iPad Mini!!!
TheNextBigThing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #45
blucurv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
I wouldn't call tablets running a mobile OS a PC either, they just don't compare to a full desktop OS in many regards, productivity and utility tasks on them are often complete nightmares in comparison to a Desktop OS.
Not necessarily, though I do agree that you can't use many productivity programs found on PCs, we can also make the same argument the other way around. Journalists, businesses, students, aspiring musicians, and physicians have a much better experience using a tablet by recording events, making transactions, having a more immersive and interactive learning experience, complementing their sessions, and interacting with their patients in a way that would never be possible with what we currently define PCs.

In a way, tablets could be considered more personal than your typical laptop.

Last edited by blucurv; Feb 6, 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: didn't end quote
blucurv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #46
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly said that he believes the tablet market will eventually be bigger than the PC market.
I agree with Tim. I was going to buy a MBP and realized it would go to waste since aside from serious gaming, the iPad covers most of my needs. It's virtually an instant on device with almost no maintenance.
Rodster is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:11 PM   #47
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pearl of the Orient
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Let's use *LTD* logic. If the numbers make Apple look good, they are relevant. If they make another company look good and Apple bad, they are irrelevant. Nice and simple.
Well said. Other people even say Apple doesn't care about market share when the GS3 became the best selling phone of Q312.
TheNextBigThing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:13 PM   #48
Caseynd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ND, USA
because iPads are the best, and it introduces people to the mac ecosystem
Caseynd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:15 PM   #49
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
"Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am... "

Look in the mirror[COLOR="#808080"]
I did. I just saw me reading what the poster I was responding to wrote and what I wrote and see quite a bit of difference in - how shall we say - presentation. Are you going to tell me that my keyboard is a bad input method as well? I agree that using the native controller is not the way to surf on a PS3.

Anyway - all a moot point. Personally I don't think tablets and PCs should be combined in the same data point. But that's neither here nor there because in this report it was.

Further - I am always amused in the threads where market share matters and where it doesn't. If Apple is behind - it's profits that matter. If Apple is ahead - it's market share.

We all know that both matter. Just like specs do ultimately matter.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:25 PM   #50
doug in albq
macrumors 65816
 
doug in albq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
...the pad segment...
__________________
http://dougitdesign.com
doug in albq is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Captures 19.5% of Global PC and Tablet Market in Q4 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 101 Feb 8, 2014 09:54 PM
Apple's Share of Tablet Market Drops on Increased Android Tablet Sales MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 76 Nov 5, 2013 09:30 AM
Tablet Market Projected to Surpass Notebooks in 2013, Total PC Market in 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 89 May 29, 2013 03:48 PM
Apple Hits New High with 13.6% Share of U.S. PC Shipments in 3Q 2012, Lenovo Captures Worldwide Title MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 120 Oct 13, 2012 10:13 AM
iPad's Share of Tablet Market Hits 68% in 2Q 2012 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 109 Jul 27, 2012 12:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC