Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today updated its iPhone and Android apps and its mobile website, introducing a redesigned Discover tab and a streamlined search experience.

The Discover tab now houses a single stream of Tweets, Trends, and Activities, rather than segregated sections. A dedicated search button has been added to the top of the app next to the tweet button, allowing for easier searches, and the Connect tab has been improved.

twitterupdate.jpg
Here's a full list of the changes:
-Instantly access great content with improvements to search and Discover on iPhone.
-Discover delivers a single stream of Tweets, Trends, Activity and accounts to follow.
-Pull to refresh or keep scrolling to see more content.
-Search now shows the most relevant mix of people, Tweets and photos.
-It's also easier to use search with one button at the top of the app.
-You can see your five most recent searches and tap them to redo the search, or you can clear your recent search history.
-Links instantly open web pages when you tap URLs in your stream.
-Performance improvements make launch times faster, especially for older iOS devices.
-Connect shows interactions like new followers, retweets and mentions by default. You can switch to "view mentions only" in settings.
-Improved right-to-left language support for Arabic and Hebrew.
-Bug fixes and other improvements.
The newly updated Twitter app is currently available for download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Updated with Search and Discover Redesign

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Would be nice if they updated it so it wasn't such a pita to check multiple accounts.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012

Finally I can delete all my dubious searches without having to reinstall the app. :)

I still think they need to do more work on people discovery though to allow searches based on location, interests and keywords.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Sweet it's easier to check trends now without having to scroll halfway down the Discover page.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I assume they're enforcing the same 100000-user token cap on their app that they impose on other Twitter apps.

/sarcasm

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
This new search functionality seems to think it's a good idea to mix in irrelevant or old results.

What a complete mess. Why can't I just get a list of results?

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I would like an auto refresh for search results. Kinda like a news ticker. Sadly I haven't found a single app that can do this.

princetanha

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
too bad they removed the people search prediction ! now if you don't know how to spell someones profile name exactly then you have to find him in your long list !

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
They removed in-app notifications in the status bar. I liked that feature.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Ever since the update, my feed doesn't refresh unless I kill the app everytime.
I wish there was a way to manage my lists using the iPhone app like I can in the iPad. (Unless I'm missing it somehow...)
Check the settings. All my notification settings were reset (Open Twitter.app -> bottom bar ->click on "Me" -> click on the Gear icon).

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
-Performance improvements make launch times faster, especially for older iOS devices.

Took 10 seconds from opening the app to showing my timeline on my 3GS (considered an older device), how exactly is it faster?

Tweetbot took 2-3 seconds from launch to timeline.....

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Took 10 seconds from opening the app to showing my timeline on my 3GS (considered an older device), how exactly is it faster?

Tweetbot took 2-3 seconds from launch to timeline.....

Think that is more to do with your phone than the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.