Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I always thought Macintosh HD stands for "Macintosh Hard Drive"... So what does it stand for?

edit: sorry this should really be in OS X.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
I always thought Macintosh HD stands for "Macintosh Hard Drive"... So what does it stand for?

edit: sorry this should really be in OS X.

That's what I thought as well... for as long as I remembered (System 7ish?) your hard drive was called Macintosh HD.

** EDIT **
ah, beat me to it :)

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
It does. What makes you think it doesn't?

well...
Hard Drive.
It sounds stupid but since most of mac portables are now flash-memory based, it could be Macintosh FD.

Something I that hit me when I was formatting my old laptop last weekend, I just find it amusing.

Like the diskette on the "Save" buttons I guess.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
well...
Hard Drive.
It sounds stupid but since most of mac portables are now flash-memory based, it could be Macintosh FD.

Something I that hit me when I was formatting my old laptop last weekend, I just find it amusing.

Like the diskette on the "Save" buttons I guess.

As many Macs still come with HDDs vs Flash memory, that wouldn't be accurate. It may change in the future, but it's not important enough to worry about. It's just a drive name.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
most people equate the internal drive as the hard drive no matter what its form factor. Flash drives have become the common nomenclature for external USB thumb drives.

But really, since you can rename it, does it matter?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
As many Macs still come with HDDs vs Flash memory, that wouldn't be accurate. It may change in the future, but it's not important enough to worry about. It's just a drive name.

most people equate the internal drive as the hard drive no matter what its form factor. Flash drives have become the common nomenclature for external USB thumb drives.

But really, since you can rename it, does it matter?

I know I know... Just curious. Apple usually is anal around such details.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
So did I.

And isn't it 'Mac HD' because they don't use the word 'Macintosh' anymore?
Says who? I can still find references to it on their site and they still use it in various spots on the Mac itself. It's just a label and Mac is just an abbreviation.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Yeah, I want an SSD icon too. Too bad SSD's aren't as good looking as HD's - they're just a smooth black box or a little board of chips.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Says who? I can still find references to it on their site and they still use it in various spots on the Mac itself. It's just a label and Mac is just an abbreviation.

Take some screen captures and post them.

Yeah, I want an SSD icon too. Too bad SSD's aren't as good looking as HD's - they're just a smooth black box or a little board of chips.

OWC has some icons, I'm sure there are others out there for Samsung, Intel, etcc

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/icons/icons.html

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Take some screen captures and post them.
They're not common, but there are references to "Macintosh" on Apple's site:

iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization
ScreenCap 2013-02-07 at Thu, Feb 7,9.46.24 AM .PNG
Apple - QuickTime - QuickTime Components
ScreenCap 2013-02-07 at Thu, Feb 7,9.47.39 AM .PNG
Apple - Certification Programs
ScreenCap 2013-02-07 at Thu, Feb 7,9.48.16 AM .PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.