Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
iPad is a computer that is personal. PC stands for "personal computer".

iPad is a computer, in many ways much more than any laptop or desktop.

Deal with it.

That makes all modern consumer electronics PCs. This includes calculators and cars. If it's a computer, and one person owns it, making it "personal", it's a PC..... No.

----------

Yes, yes, and yes.

There is a spreadsheet program for XBOX 360? That sounds horrible. Are you talking about a hacked 360 that runs Ubuntu Linux?

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Here's some meaningful stats: In the last year, Apple TVs sold more units than either XBox or Wii.

Seriously. Apple TV sales have gone up, XBox and Wii sales have seriously dropped. Wii U was supposed to sell 5 million per year but only did 3.5 million, and Apple TV did 1.7 million in the last quarter alone, and over 4 million per year.

hmm wat...

MS shipped 5.9 million in the past quarter, they sold 750,000 on Black Friday weekend alone

Renzatic

Suspended
That makes all modern consumer electronics PCs. This includes calculators and cars. If it's a computer, and one person owns it, making it "personal", it's a PC..... No.

This argument has been going on around here for awhile now. An iPad is a PC about as much as a desktop or laptop is. As far as general usage goes, they're all about on par with each other. Desktops and laptops are capable of doing more (for now), but the basics among all three are exactly the same.

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
The surface pro is not underpowered and has no where near netbook level hardware. Its using core i5 which is 5-10 times faster than the atoms that were used in netbooks.

You missed the point mate, if you read the post again, you'll notice that I'm simply using the surface pro as the exact opposite of a netbook.

Netbook = underpowered, cheaply produced to be more affordable
Surface Pro = too bloated for the price.

----------

Still true. Apple mouses are no more than shiny toys nowadays :eek:

The Magic Mouse is so under appreciated. My wife gets frustrated, yet I can't live without it. Give me multitouch gestures and touch scrolling and I'm a happy camper.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I'm responsible for 3 of those iPad purchases, including one Mini.

I'm still waiting for my personal thank you from Tim Cook.

You'll get a congratulations for from me for belonging to the 90% of... uhm... out there.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Surface pro is a pain in the neck because of windows. Put Linux on it, it suddenly becomes a thing worth talking about.

Nah, but Linux would improve it greatly at least by gaining back some of those 30GB eaten by Windows and by being virus-free.

----------

Let's use *LTD* logic. If the numbers make Apple look good, they are relevant. If they make another company look good and Apple bad, they are irrelevant. Nice and simple.

Except when you're talking about RAM and CPU specs, right?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well when we had netbooks--people complained it was a race to the bottom.

How's it different now with tablets? Will there be profits to made in the future?

Apple certainly isn't racing to the bottom. They haven't cut prices on the latest model once. Microsoft's RT tablet is not bargain priced. Or is the Kindle Fire HD. OTOH 96% of netbooks were cheap POS. I don't really see how your comparison fits.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My my what a bunch of me vs. them from either side.

Couldn't care less about who sells how much of what.

I don't make money from any of what PCs or Apple sell, but all my stuff works well.

Hope that all companies make each other make better and better products, including Samcopy.

Just spoken as a consumer.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011

----------

There is a spreadsheet program for XBOX 360? That sounds horrible. Are you talking about a hacked 360 that runs Ubuntu Linux?

Office 365 - use excel in the web browser. It's the same idea as Google docs if you know what I am saying. If you have a free outlook or hotmail account you can also edit excel documents using the free online version of excel. I'm sure that people who are using an XBox don't really want to use it for excel. The XBox also takes a mouse and a keyboard so it's probably the same as using the web version on a desktop. Don't ask me for too many details, I don't own an XBox.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
If you are going to combine Apples iPad with desktops then you better combine the XBox too and all other gaming machines.
The iPad doesn't compare to a fully featured desktop operating system as much as a gaming console/device which also has web, email, etc. does.

Come back with meaningful stats. next time.

Best we include the iPhone, iPod Touch and perhaps the Apple TV too

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Can't believe we're still having this argument. An iPad is not a fully fledged PC, which is what matters. An iPad is a cripple. It's good for only a couple tasks, it does only one thing at once, it has artificial limitations (e.g. can't play Flash (and yes, like it or not Flash is STILL relevant)) and it suffers from terrible specs (you know there's something wrong when it can't even hold a web page open in memory for more than a few minutes). You can't even program for the iPad on the iPad-- you need a real PC for that. It's not self-sufficient.

It's also running the same OS on similar hardware as a phone. So why is the iPad considered a "PC," yet the iPhone isn't? They can all do the same exact tasks. Screen size, you say? Okay, then to paraphrase George Carlin, at what screen size does a device go from being a "PC" to being *not* a PC?

EDIT: And one more thing, Apple themselves keep pushing the iPad as a "post-PC" device. Post-PC means AFTER PC. So that means it's NOT A PC!

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, nobody actually browses the web or check email with their consoles.

Try again.

While it is indeed a generalization, I have to agree that the number of people who browse the web on their consoles is on the novelty level rather than the functional level. Kinda like Siri :p

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Counts as a PC for me. I am replacing my MacBook with a Mac Mini and will be exclusively using my ipad on the road. My ipad 2 does everything I need to do on the go. The mini will handle all serious tasks.

You're contradicting yourself. You're saying the iPad counts as a PC, except for when you need a PC (Mac Mini) for "serious tasks".

The whole point is that not even Apple considers the iPad to be a PC, hence Jobs referring to iPads as part of the "post PC era". That phrase is exclusionary and implies that iPads are not PCs.

The only people who consider iPads to be PCs are the 5 rabid zealots in this thread.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Deal with it.

I would like to know how an iPad is in many ways much more of a personal computer than a laptop or desktop? :confused:

Renzatic

Suspended
The only people who consider iPads to be PCs are the 5 rabid zealots in this thread.

You better not be including me in that. Ah kee ya! :mad:

Actually, I consider the iPad a PC in much the same way I consider a Netbook one. No, they're not as powerful as my big ass desktop, but they cover the basics just as well as it does. Looking up stuff on the internet? Playing games? Watching movies? Listening to music? Typing up a document? Drawing a picture? Doing basic photo editing? The iPad does all those quite well.

It's as much a PC as my PC. Just because it can't do as much on the high end as my desktop doesn't make it any less a PC. I mean if we're going by power, would you consider a Macbook Pro less of a PC than an iMac? Would an iPad that can run a full rev of Photoshop still not be a PC by your standards?

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I wonder if apple will ever put the app store on the apple tv? If they release it with the next gen processor, app store, and a bluetooth wireless controller it would sell even better than it is selling now. I'd buy it. =D

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Deal with it.

In many ways, much less than any laptop or desktop

Deal with that

;)

My car is personal, it has a computer, I suppose you refer to that as a PC?

My PS3 is also a PC, as is my TV, the video card alone in my desktop is also a PC as is the calculator on my desk.

Almost forgot my noise cancelling headphones. It is computer driven and doesn't get much more personal than that.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I own an IT business, and I have yet to see any tablet other than an iPad being used in any business. I have never seen an HP or Lenovo tablet being used anywhere, even in homes. I have seen exactly two Kindle Fires ever used/bought, and both of those users ended up buying an iPad within months.

Just curious if anyone has any of the non-Apple brands actually being used institutionally. Or even with consumers.

I work for a small IT business as well. I'm fairly certain that zero of my clients have android tablets. (although my boss and I have them) Interestingly, zero of my client have apple laptops. (I use a macbook air)

I'd love to get rid of my galaxy tablet and get a ipad mini. It's just a little too expensive for the lte version. I paid about $220 for my lte tablet (used).

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Can you download spreadsheets on your headphones? Can you edit photos with your car?

A tablet is just another kind of PC. From the Surface Pro down to the iPad. They're PCs.

Nope, can't do that, but it has a computer and it's personal. Those were the criteria were they not? What makes a PC a PC? Your definition? His? Apples? because non are the same.

Apple calls the iPad a "post PC" device, so by definition, the inventors of this product are not defining it as a PC.

You say anything that can open spread sheets and pictures. So my iPod is a PC according to you

The other guy said anything with a computer that is personal is a PC. All the examples I provided meet that criteria.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.