Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:00 PM   #226
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Is it not like this for other smartphones? You're still paying the high price to Apple.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
.
If phone companies stop subsidizing smartphones, Apple stock price will drop like a rock. However Samsung will be doing fine, it can still sell white appliances, TVs, and others. Samsung is a conglomerate, not Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Subsidized smartphone should be stopped, because it puts consumers to a perpetual phone update cycle, generates more e-junks to landfill. Right now consumers have no choice, they either take an overpaid cell phone plan or pay perpetual downpayment for phone upgrade cycle.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:03 AM   #227
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
If phone companies stop subsidizing smartphones, Apple stock price will drop like a rock. However Samsung will be doing fine, it can still sell white appliances, TVs, and others. Samsung is a conglomerate, not Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Subsidized smartphone should be stopped, because it puts consumers to a perpetual phone update cycle, generates more e-junks to landfill. Right now consumers have no choice, they either take an overpaid cell phone plan or pay perpetual downpayment for phone upgrade cycle.
What does this have to do with anything? All I said was that Apple is selling an impressive number of iPhones because they're expensive no matter how the consumer is paying for them. Selling them partially through a contract isn't "phony" sales.

You say it's better to give the consumer no choice, just a $700 iPhone? You get a better deal when you buy an iPhone with a plan because the carrier rightfully rewards you for predictability. Consumers right now have the choice of buying the iPhone with no plan for $700 or getting it with a plan. I'd rather have a choice than no choice, thanks.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:34 AM   #228
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
What does this have to do with anything? All I said was that Apple is selling an impressive number of iPhones because they're expensive no matter how the consumer is paying for them. Selling them partially through a contract isn't "phony" sales.

You say it's better to give the consumer no choice, just a $700 iPhone? You get a better deal when you buy an iPhone with a plan because the carrier rightfully rewards you for predictability. Consumers right now have the choice of buying the iPhone with no plan for $700 or getting it with a plan. I'd rather have a choice than no choice, thanks.
After 2-year phone contract is done, if you choose to no upgrade another smartphone, will your phone company give you a lower price cell phone plan?

It would be nice and fair if consumers have this choice -- phone company offers cheaper phone plan if consumers do not want to buy a subsidized smartphone.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #229
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
After 2-year phone contract is done, if you choose to no upgrade another smartphone, will your phone company give you a lower price cell phone plan?

It would be nice and fair if consumers have this choice -- phone company offers cheaper phone plan if consumers do not want to buy a subsidized smartphone.
It's fair already if everyone buys from the same carriers, and nobody is forced to buy an iPhone.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #230
CodeJingle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I think everyone is missing the point here. Apple has NEVER had a quarter in the US where it was the number one mobile phone vendor. Not ever. Until now. So it doesn't matter what quarter this news was associated with. It is not phony news just because it was the launch quarter for iPhone 5. The launch quarter for all of their other phones was less popular as a percentage. So Apple market share for mobile was higher for that quarter than it had ever been before.
CodeJingle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:07 PM   #231
CodeJingle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Apple has become a giant, conservative, mass market retailer. Focused on selling content consumption iOS devices, the days of focusing on creating world class leading edge computers for content creation & innovative products are over.
Apple still makes great computers. They are also coming out with revamped Mac Pro next quarter. It isn't their fault their phone and tablet sells so much more than their laptop and desktop computers. There isn't anything they can do about it. If you think this fact is a problem then how do you propose it be fixed?

Also I've heard that argument alot, about content creation, and it is just unfounded. You can make great stuff on an iPad. Maybe not on an iPhone, but certainly the iPad is no stranger to 'content creation and innovative products'.
CodeJingle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:57 PM   #232
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJingle View Post
Apple still makes great computers. They are also coming out with revamped Mac Pro next quarter. It isn't their fault their phone and tablet sells so much more than their laptop and desktop computers.

1) There isn't anything they can do about it. If you think this fact is a problem then how do you propose it be fixed?

2) Also I've heard that argument alot, about content creation, and it is just unfounded. You can make great stuff on an iPad. Maybe not on an iPhone, but certainly the iPad is no stranger to 'content creation and innovative products'.
1a) What?
"There isn't anything they can do about it" you've got to be kidding.
Apple is helpless? Not hardly!

I'll tell you what Apple can do. They can take a portion of their billions in reserve cash & expand like any other company would do. Grow Apple bigger, continue to focus on computers as well as iDevices and further expand their size & presence as a world class tech company.

2) Respectfully, you have no idea what large scale computing is responsible for in today's engineering environment. From fluid dynamics, genome projects, aerospace & thousands of high level computational scientifically complex projects. You won't see a consumer device in any of those labs.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:33 PM   #233
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Now _that_ is risky business. I would have thought that the Cupertino business that drove itself to the edge of distinction once, would have learned from it.
Belongs in the "Hall of Fame for Typos". Hysterical.
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #234
CodeJingle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
1a) What?
"There isn't anything they can do about it" you've got to be kidding.
Apple is helpless? Not hardly!

I'll tell you what Apple can do. They can take a portion of their billions in reserve cash & expand like any other company would do. Grow Apple bigger, continue to focus on computers as well as iDevices and further expand their size & presence as a world class tech company.
Your original comment was "More than 50% of Apples revenue, and survival... rely on a single product, the iPhone". Your response to how they could fix that is for Apple to "expand" and "grow Apple bigger"? Really? Apple is currently growing. At breakneck speed. They can't grow any faster then they are currently growing. You are asking Apple to do what they are already doing. And the faster they grow and expand, the more people buy their iOS devices, so their percentage of revenue coming from iOS products remains unchanged. So now we've come full circle. There isn't anything Apple can do about it, not anymore than they are currently doing. Not for the problems you claim Apple has.

And I am a software engineer, and routinely do development work on large projects. So from experience I can tell you the iPad is a fine device for content creation and is not just a consumer device. I write code and develop applications on my iPad.

Besides Apple makes awesome laptop and desktop computers, and just last year produced 2 retina display Macbook Pros with the high-speed Thunderbolt Port architecture, so even if I agreed with you that the iPad is a device only for consumption I still do not agree that Apple has stopped "creating world class leading edge computers". Quite the opposite.
CodeJingle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:30 PM   #235
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Belongs in the "Hall of Fame for Typos". Hysterical.
Yes it does.

Ah, the foibles of rapidly hammering out comments on a glass iPad touch screen.

Proof read? The last time I did that was when I was completing my thesis.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC