Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Android has become quite stale too. Perhaps you should give windows or blackberry a shot.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think iOS needs a bit of freshening up as well, but what's really important to me is function. At this point, you simply can't do everything on windows and BB10 as you can on iOS and Android. The apps aren't there and won't be for at least a year. You could go Android, but its getting a bit stale too and good luck finding one that's not made of cheap plastic with more than 16GB of storage. It seems like Google wants to drive up your data overages by forcing you on he cloud.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.

I will probably stick with my black iPhone 5.

I have ordered a slick all black thin snap on case and my iPhone 5 is unlocked.

Can't beat that.

S

syd430

iOS is highly functional tool in which I heavily rely on. I'm in favor of incremental improvements over time.

Sounds like you just need new apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Your lack of Android knowledge is showing :)

I have owned several android devices. They get boring quickly. I don't consider "widgets" earth shattering innovation, just boring. Nor do I consider screen layout exciting or new. Apps run the same.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I think software and hardware wise the iPhone and iOS are pretty strong. Could there be improvements? Certainly. There's only so much you can add though.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Lmao seriously? So android manufacturers make 5" and up smartphone 1080p in your pocket that impress you? :rolleyes:

If Apple releases an even larger iPhone with even higher PPI you will say Apple is just playing catch up and they are still not innovative by just increasing the screen size and the PPI, and the iPhone looks pretty much the same, it's rectangular, etc. etc.

Apple achieved "retina" high DPI screen on smartphone nearly 3 freaking years ago way before everyone else, and a 1.5k (2048 x 1536) screen on a 9.7" device a whole year ago. And Apple is still not innovative. :rolleyes:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
If Apple releases an even larger iPhone with even higher PPI you will say Apple is just playing catch up and they are still not innovative by just increasing the screen size and the PPI, and the iPhone looks pretty much the same, it's rectangular, etc. etc.

Apple achieved "retina" high DPI screen on smartphone nearly 3 freaking years ago way before everyone else, and a 1.5k (2048 x 1536) screen on a 9.7" device a whole year ago. And Apple is still not innovative. :rolleyes:

Ok your point is? Did you ever see me saying apple catching up, innovating not innovating etc....

Did u even read what i posted? Lol the OP wants Apple to impress him so he can stay with them otherwise he will switch to something impressive such as iono a bigger screen! Lmao

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The OP is talking about the os. Sure there are phone makers that make larger screens, but as far as os, ios and android os are both "boring". They both have problems. ios is is too contolled. Android is too fragmented. Both could use an overhaul.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The OP is talking about the os. Sure there are phone makers that make larger screens, but as far as os, ios and android os are both "boring". They both have problems. ios is is too contolled. Android is too fragmented. Both could use an overhaul.

Yea i forgot to mention what op expect from a boring os to impress him? Something like in iron man os!?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
During the Steve Jobs era, Apples hype machine created expectations of epic proportions. Buying into the concept of "the next best thing" throngs of Apples followers believed in every word.

Now that iOS is matured, far too many users find it stale or boring. I happen to like what they've achieved, even if I don't care for the small cramped display.

I don't find anything about the OS so bad I'd quit using it. That said, this upcoming refresh ought to be interesting.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If you want a non-boring OS, go buy an Android phone. Those security holes that take forever to get updated will keep you on your toes.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Ok your point is? Did you ever see me saying apple catching up, innovating not innovating etc....

Did u even read what i posted? Lol the OP wants Apple to impress him so he can stay with them otherwise he will switch to something impressive such as iono a bigger screen! Lmao

I don't need a bigger screen. That's not the problem. I just think the iOS needs a major facelift and a little less makeup

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I have owned several android devices. They get boring quickly. I don't consider "widgets" earth shattering innovation, just boring. Nor do I consider screen layout exciting or new. Apps run the same.

Android or iOS they all basically do the same thing you just have more freedom and options with Android. I do have to say I don't believe iOS is boring I just think most people have become bored with it and it could use a little sprucing up.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Since when does Apple develop and produce the screens on their phones and tablets?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. .

You ARE using an "easy to use" phone. Ease of use and operation being the number 1 unassailable priority for apple.

Why is "easy to use" bad?

The OS is a platform. Find apps to do what you want, if the apps for a purpose don't exist, run a platform that has the apps that you need.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
How much time do you people spend looking at the home screen to get bored of it??

My iPhone works like this:

It wakes me up with an alarm.

AirPlay music to my speakers and listen to Tunein radio while I eat breakfast.

I get into my car and the music from my iPod automatically plays over Bluetooth.

In work I pick up my music where the car left off and listen to music throughout the day with the music app, podcast app and Spotify. Lock screen controls are great here.

If nature calls and I'm in the bathroom I play superhexagon or Vice City, something I never thought I'd be able to do 10 years ago!

Listen to music over Bluetooth on my way home.

Just a standard day for example.

The other week I was in London, and my iphone helped me get around amazingly easily, tube maps, walking directions, theatre times and bookings, restaurant reviews.

I never found myself 'bored' of my phone, and I don't understand this generation who do. Kids seem to get bored of things instantly these days if they are not brand new.

Look at OSX, it's looked the same for about 20 years, they had a good idea and have spent the rest of the time perfecting it.

Last edited:

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Whatever functionality iOS lacks by default, jailbreaking more than compensates for. As long as there is the ability to jailbreak I'll stick with Apple. If that loophole is ever closed for good, I would consider alternatives.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I'm quite sure that all the people complaining about iOS and how stale it's become are just the tip of the iceberg of iOS users.

Explain to me what is stale about iOS, please. If you're someone who wants their smartphone to fart confetti, then go to Android. I'm pretty sure some manufacturer there has implemented such features.
Really, I just don't get why you don't get it. A smartphone exists for its usability, not to entertain kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.