Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
nice, i hope you´re right.

i believe that apple was waiting for these drives, too.

i read that the size has also reduced very much, so that there would be more space for the battery, and so the battery life could be improved...what is really needed anyways, especially when it comes to playing video.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
TobyM said:
really, is that such a secret?
i often heard about toshiba manufacturing the ipod-drives...
hasn´t anybody opened his ipod yet...it´s surely written on the drive :)

The fact that Toshiba make current drives is no secret. But for obvious commercial reasons it would be indiscreet for them to reveal if Apple were purchasing their next generation drives for use in future products. Toshiba have slipped up here before with the 60GB drive now used in the iPod.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Chundles said:
I'd like to see the following:

iPod mini 6GB $199

iPod mini 8GB (maybe colour screen, haven't really decided on that yet) $249

iPod 20GB (Higher res colour screen, better battery life, white click wheel with backlit controls in white, possibly video enabled) $299

iPod 40GB (As above but using the new perpendicular HDD's so the same form factor as the 20GB, possibly video enabled) $369

iPod 80GB (As above but in the same form factor as the old 40GB B&W iPods, the 60GB is just massive! Maybe with some sort of video playback either on the higher res screen or plug into a TV) $429

Yeah the pricing gets a bit weird at the higher end but I couldn't figure out which way to go, drop the prices across the board and bring the 80GB in at the same price point as the current 60GB or keep them similar and up the price at the top end. What do you lot think?
Very interesting.

I particularly like your ideas about the modifications in look and extras to the iPod that no one else has thought about, including the white click wheel and backlights etc. Hmmmmm, I wonder!

I read somewhere a while ago that the look of the classic white iPod may change, where the whole thing will become metal with a brushed metal finish. I personally don't think or hope it will happen, but having something similar done to the back chrome bit may be interesting, but I believe there will always be white iPods!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Chundles said:
iPod 20GB (Higher res colour screen, better battery life, white click wheel with backlit controls in white, possibly video enabled) $299

Why would there be backlit controls? The 3G had them, but once it became possible to place the controls in a more logical position (at least according to Apple) on the clickwheel the backlight was considered redundant.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Loge said:
Why would there be backlit controls? The 3G had them, but once it became possible to place the controls in a more logical position (at least according to Apple) on the clickwheel the backlight was considered redundant.

Because it would look cool. :cool:

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Apple just updated/ (made it noticeable) its site to have free on all iPod accessories till the 25th of sept. so I think that should mean new 5th Gen iPods then :D (or it could be my overtired mind at work)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:
Very interesting.

I particularly like your ideas about the modifications in look and extras to the iPod that no one else has thought about, including the white click wheel and backlights etc. Hmmmmm, I wonder!

I read somewhere a while ago that the look of the classic white iPod may change, where the whole thing will become metal with a brushed metal finish. I personally don't think or hope it will happen, but having something similar done to the back chrome bit may be interesting, but I believe there will always be white iPods!

I agree that they will be white for a very, very long time if not for the term of their existence. But the brushed metal or even anodised aluminium could be cool, same rounded cross section as the mini but with a white shiny front and an anodised back. Might be cool.

All I want from Apple is a reasonably priced (AUD$450 ish - yeah I know, that is in no way "reasonable" but hey, who cares) iPod with a capacity around 30 or 40GB with a good 18 hour battery life (they can get one in the mini, they can get one in the fullsized one too) and backlit controls. Yeah I know they're redundant but it would look so damn cool at night.

Yeah, I know it's for playing music but if you don't think that the iPod has become an image thing too you're kidding yourself and by god I want my iPod looking as cool as possible.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
runninmac said:
Apple just updated/ (made it noticeable) its site to have free on all iPod accessories till the 25th of sept. so I think that should mean new 5th Gen iPods then :D (or it could be my overtired mind at work)

Actually that is very interesting. The date posted is actually the 24th which is the last day of the Apple Expo in Paris!!!
Could this mean a redesign of the iPod? Not to mention Apple giving away iPods with their back to school promotion!

Lots of indicators...

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
runninmac said:
Hmm ye, sounds interesting. Where exactly does it say it? Sorry, I'm not very observant at the moment!

EDIT- Found it!!...Gosh, really REALLY wasn't being observant! Free shipping, nice!

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
sorry, but...what´s the indication of a new ipod generation when all ipod acessory shippings are free until a certain date at the paris expo?

i think i didnt get it :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
TobyM said:
sorry, but...what´s the indication of a new ipod generation when all ipod acessory shippings are free until a certain date at the paris expo?

i think i didnt get it :)

On it's own it doesn't mean all that much but when you look at things happening all over (iPod has gone about a year since it's last major update, they're promoting iPods left right and centre) you start to build up a picture of Apple's plan.

So, this promotion could have two meanings:

1. - Apple's feeling particularly benevolent. (Hmmm...nup.)

2. - Apple is trying to clear as much inventory as it can that pertains to the current generation of iPod in preparation for a new form factor or some other sort of change that may render some or all of these accessories useless.

When you combine possibility 2 with the fact the the "Student Union" free iPod deal ends around the time of the Paris expo (not that it ever started here in Oz and yes, I know that it pertains more towards the iPod mini there are rumours of an update to this line as well although I don't see anything beyond perhaps a storage increase) and the timing of the free accessories shipping you can sort of put the pieces together that Apple is more aggressively than usual pursuing iPod sales ahead of a major change.

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
okay, thanks.
now i understand what you´re meaning.
that really makes sense...selling out the accessories before the new product is released.

a 5 gen would be too nice...i really hope apple is releasing a new ipod soon.

what about the current resellers´situation? are the ipods themselves getting rare slowly? i thought i heard something about that a few days ago, and that´s always a good sign for some new products...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
TobyM said:
okay, thanks.
now i understand what you´re meaning.
that really makes sense...selling out the accessories before the new product is released.

a 5 gen would be too nice...i really hope apple is releasing a new ipod soon.

what about the current resellers´situation? are the ipods themselves getting rare slowly? i thought i heard something about that a few days ago, and that´s always a good sign for some new products...

From what I've read on this forum, 4GB minis and 60GB iPods are in short supply, my local AppleCentre could cover a rugby field with all the iPod shuffle 1GB boxes they have but I can't see any 512MB ones anywhere. Have a look at my post to see what I think might be happening - it's always good to base any predictions you might have on those made by another person who is equally clueless as to what WILL happen but posted earlier than you. ;)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Possible Times

It could come at three times:

- Apple Expo Paris (Late September): Highly Unlikely
- Special Event (Late October): Possible, as they would maximize profits for
the holidays.
- Macworld San Fran (Early January): If not before, definitly(sp?) here. It will
come with the new iTunes 5 in iLife 06.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
922 said:

the holidays.
- Macworld San Fran (Early January): If not before, definitly(sp?) here. It will

I don't think it would come out at Macworld. That'd be AVOIDING the holiday season! Perhaps they unveil the 5g at macworld...but not bring it out to stores in early january. What would it become a gift for? Martin luther king jr's birthday? I think not!

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
922 said:

the holidays.

i agree with you.
paris expo would be nice, but maybe a little too soon.
possible that just some new minis (storage, color display) or shuffles are released there.

i think it could be in october or november, definitely before the holidays.
i´m convinved that itunes 5 will be released within this year, and that should be the perfect time for a new ipod generation.

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
yes, it´s hard to wait :)
especially if you´d really like to buy an ipod right now (maybe cause your ipod doesnt work anymore, like in my case :( ), but you know that there are new ipods soon and you just better wait :)

indications like the free accessory shipping would indicate something for the paris expo, but i think more people are expecting new ipods for october or november.

i still hope there will be something big, like a "itunes media store" where you can buy music and music videos, and maybe movies. and a new ipod together with a new itunes.
should be worth the jump to itunes version 5 :)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
TobyM said:
yes, it´s hard to wait :)
especially if you´d really like to buy an ipod right now (maybe cause your ipod doesnt work anymore, like in my case :( ), but you know that there are new ipods soon and you just better wait :)

indications like the free accessory shipping would indicate something for the paris expo, but i think more people are expecting new ipods for october or november.

i still hope there will be something big, like a "itunes media store" where you can buy music and music videos, and maybe movies. and a new ipod together with a new itunes.
should be worth the jump to itunes version 5 :)
I agree, and hope your predictions of iTunes 5 is correct! I need something new to play with!

Yes it is especially if you're waiting for an iPod, first time or replacement. This is exactly what happened to me last year with my iPod photo. I was not following the Mac scene as I should have been (i.e.: not at all!) and was talking myself into an iPod for ages, eventually I agreed to myself :)confused:) and waited till I had enough money. The day I checked my bank account to see I had enough I rushed onto the Apple site only to see the brand new "iPod photo - Why should your ears have all the fun?" page! Over the moon I went ahead and brought it, realising I still had enough! Just think how "annoyed" I would be if I had gone ahead and brought the normal iPod a day earlier??!! :p

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Here's some things I'd like to see:

Glow-in-the-dark clickwheel
Gapless playback
A battery that you can change yourself (similar to mobile phones)
Price held or dropped

I expect it would come out before Christmas. The regular iPod is due for an update... :) If it came out in the Paris Expo it would be one hell of a show with everything they're supposedly releasing on this date :D

podfuture

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
922 said:

the holidays.

New Mini- Apple Expo Paris... yep, that's when it should be.

4GB Flash, with a display about the size of the present Mini. White top, metal bottom... just like the iPod. Thin, about the thickness of the Shuffle. Color display??? don't know.

Wipe out Creative, Sandisk, Rio, iRiver... certainly!!

So I will rush out and buy the an extra Mini cause we are coming up on the last chance. And get the new one too!!

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
i just read that samsung made a very good offer to apple, to become the manufacturer of the 4gb-flash-memory in eventually upcoming ipod minis.
they say that usually flash memory is twice as expensive as a harddrive with the same capacity, but samsung offered apple their flash memory to the same price as the harddrives.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sh...YZ1RXIQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=169400638

but....who cares about the minis :)
i want a new ipod....and as soon as possible :D

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
the_freddinator said:
I don't think it would come out at Macworld. That'd be AVOIDING the holiday season! Perhaps they unveil the 5g at macworld...but not bring it out to stores in early january. What would it become a gift for? Martin luther king jr's birthday? I think not!

My thinking is that iTunes 5 will come with the new generation, and since iLife comes during Macworld, we might see it then. If it doesn't come out by November, it will definetly come out at Macworld.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
TobyM said:
i just read that samsung made a very good offer to apple, to become the manufacturer of the 4gb-flash-memory in eventually upcoming ipod minis.
they say that usually flash memory is twice as expensive as a harddrive with the same capacity, but samsung offered apple their flash memory to the same price as the harddrives.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sh...YZ1RXIQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=169400638

but....who cares about the minis :)
i want a new ipod....and as soon as possible :D

That's a very interesting article... not too sure about the claims it makes but hey, anything is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.