Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:35 AM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Really enjoying my iBook recently

I just wanted to let the place know that since I have been digging around for PPC software and hacks, I keep coming across apps that I downloaded originally when I first bought my iMac in 2009. Even though it's an intel iMac, a lot of these apps are PPC compatible and I just happened to have stored away in a folder that I thought I lost: a bunch of utilities that I just installed on my iBook G4 1.33GHz 1.5GB RAM.

This obviously won't be a surprise to many of you, but I installed: CandyBar, LiteIcon, and OnyX. It's fun messing around with these apps again and now that they're all free, I'm having a blast with the GUI.

I think a nice TRON theme will be the first and then who knows? Anyway, I am rediscovering the awesomeness of my machine and it's great.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:35 AM   #2
seveej
macrumors 6502a
 
seveej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Anyway, I am rediscovering the awesomeness of my machine and it's great.
Congratulations. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something which is not brand spanking new.


RGDS,
__________________
MP 3,1 'nuff RAM, 3 HDD's, 1 SSD, AMD 5770, 10.6
2009 Mini, as server
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:17 AM   #3
eyoungren
macrumors 603
 
eyoungren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I just wanted to let the place know that since I have been digging around for PPC software and hacks, I keep coming across apps that I downloaded originally when I first bought my iMac in 2009. Even though it's an intel iMac, a lot of these apps are PPC compatible and I just happened to have stored away in a folder that I thought I lost: a bunch of utilities that I just installed on my iBook G4 1.33GHz 1.5GB RAM.

This obviously won't be a surprise to many of you, but I installed: CandyBar, LiteIcon, and OnyX. It's fun messing around with these apps again and now that they're all free, I'm having a blast with the GUI.

I think a nice TRON theme will be the first and then who knows? Anyway, I am rediscovering the awesomeness of my machine and it's great.
CandyBar is cool. I've combined, both the ML theme you can find here on MR with a black dock, icons and a black theme using Mystique on my 1GHZ PowerBook. The result is a black-themed UI I really enjoy.

So, I hear you. There is lots of life in our old Macs still.
__________________
PowerMac G4 QuickSilver - 1.6Ghz DP | Sprint iPhone 5 - iOS 7.1.2 / Eclipse Black
Sprint iPhone owners, THERE IS NO DOMESTIC UNLOCK!
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Congratulations. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something which is not brand spanking new.


RGDS,
I would buy another PPC laptop right now if I had the money. I found someone on CL that needed help reinstalling Leopard(which I have a copy of, sort of) on their 14.1" iBook(which I REALLY want) and then instead wanted to sell it to me. The problem was that they didn't take care of it, there was no OS on the machine, they actually removed the HDD, keys were missing, and the ethernet,1usb port, and the firewire port were not working. With all this, they were trying to sell it for what I paid for my current one. Long story short, I did not buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
CandyBar is cool. I've combined, both the ML theme you can find here on MR with a black dock, icons and a black theme using Mystique on my 1GHZ PowerBook. The result is a black-themed UI I really enjoy.

So, I hear you. There is lots of life in our old Macs still.
That's awesome because I was messing around with it last night(sounds dirty, I know) and the first theme I came up with was a 2-D dock, a gray/blue background, then black system icons with silver application icons. It was really nice and then I realized that it was approaching 130am and I had to tear myself away from the computer.

This all started with me mostly just trying to find the .dmg(s) that I still had for other apps that were all either Intel/PPC compatible, or PPC only just to help out MisterKeeks with his PowerPC Archive site. And I kept having these " A ha" moments and then it just kept going. So I put all those apps on the iBook and had fun for a couple of hours. When I get that TRON theme finished, I'll upload a screenshot. I love TRON AND my iBook.

I'm seriously amazed sometimes when I think of what I was able to buy for $149 because the shop just suddenly could not sell their PPC stock at their regular prices.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a
 
rjcalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: El Salvador
Glad! iBooks are fun to use
__________________
CEO, Lead Developer and Sales Manager of SW Social Web LLC PowerPC Blog iBook G4 1.2 Ghz 60 GB HDD, Black Macbook Core 2 Duo, Powerbook G4 & iMac G4 700 Mhz Owner.
rjcalifornia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
Glad! iBooks are fun to use
Yes they are. AND I was actually looking at your blog last night around 12:30ish. I like it!
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:20 PM   #7
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a
 
rjcalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: El Salvador
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Yes they are. AND I was actually looking at your blog last night around 12:30ish. I like it!
Thanks!!
__________________
CEO, Lead Developer and Sales Manager of SW Social Web LLC PowerPC Blog iBook G4 1.2 Ghz 60 GB HDD, Black Macbook Core 2 Duo, Powerbook G4 & iMac G4 700 Mhz Owner.
rjcalifornia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Congrats!

I have the same iBook and also love it. Great find.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:07 PM   #9
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Congrats!

I have the same iBook and also love it. Great find.
Is that the one you have in your signature line? If so, did you upgrade the HDD yourself? Do you have any opinions on installing a SSD in one? I don't know if that would increase the read/write speed that much, but I had a thought that the decreased power consumption might make the battery last longer.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Is that the one you have in your signature line? If so, did you upgrade the HDD yourself? Do you have any opinions on installing a SSD in one? I don't know if that would increase the read/write speed that much, but I had a thought that the decreased power consumption might make the battery last longer.
It came with an 80GB ATA. I don't really experience lag time with the drive, so I never considered upgrading. It's fast enough for me as is.

I also get pretty good battery life, ~80 minutes on the original with 190 cycles, and ~3 hours on a new one. I don't rely too much on the battery, and will use the AC adapter when I'm not at home whenever possible.

All in all, it's a great little machine.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:14 PM   #11
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a
 
rjcalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: El Salvador
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Is that the one you have in your signature line? If so, did you upgrade the HDD yourself? Do you have any opinions on installing a SSD in one? I don't know if that would increase the read/write speed that much, but I had a thought that the decreased power consumption might make the battery last longer.
How long does your battery last on full charge? Mine 3 hours and 20 minutes.
__________________
CEO, Lead Developer and Sales Manager of SW Social Web LLC PowerPC Blog iBook G4 1.2 Ghz 60 GB HDD, Black Macbook Core 2 Duo, Powerbook G4 & iMac G4 700 Mhz Owner.
rjcalifornia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:37 PM   #12
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
That's great battery life. As I wrote, I don't rely on the battery much, but I recall that my replacement battery is on the good side of three hours.

The RAM is already maxed out, so that's great. It made it difference for me.

I also use Onyx and Xslimmer, which also make a difference. It's a snappy little machine, and my primary rig.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:47 PM   #13
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
How long does your battery last on full charge? Mine 3 hours and 20 minutes.
Ha! Not even 2 hours. Yeah, I know I need a new battery most likely, but really can't afford it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
That's great battery life. As I wrote, I don't rely on the battery much, but I recall that my replacement battery is on the good side of three hours.

The RAM is already maxed out, so that's great. It made it difference for me.

I also use Onyx and Xslimmer, which also make a difference. It's a snappy little machine, and my primary rig.
It really is. So much so that I'm looking to replace it with the 14.1" version with the slightly faster cpu. I know the 14.1" display isn't too much of a gain and the 1.42GHz vs. the 1.33GHZ is also not much, but I could really benefit from a larger display, even if it is only 2".
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #14
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
even if it is only 2".
Though it only is two, since screens are measured diagonally, there is a significant amount of additional space.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #15
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Though it only is two, since screens are measured diagonally, there is a significant amount of additional space.
And I know that, but it's just difficult to justify an expenditure for what is almost the same machine for the size of the display when things are already tight.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #16
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
And I know that, but it's just difficult to justify an expenditure for what is almost the same machine for the size of the display when things are already tight.
Not telling you anything you don't already know, but just see how it plays out with this one first. A bird in hand and all that.

I got lucky with my iBook. Gently used with 10.5.8 installed and a larger-than-stock HDD. I upped the RAM, replaced the DC-in board, and started using a USB WiFi signal booster after AirPort Extreme crapped out. (Each problem emerged over time; the iBook was near pristine when I got it.) Otherwise, all systems go.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Not telling you anything you don't already know, but just see how it plays out with this one first. A bird in hand and all that.

I got lucky with my iBook. Gently used with 10.5.8 installed and a larger-than-stock HDD. I upped the RAM, replaced the DC-in board, and started using a USB WiFi signal booster after AirPort Extreme crapped out. (Each problem emerged over time; the iBook was near pristine when I got it.) Otherwise, all systems go.
How does the usb WiFi signal booster work for you? I thought about buying a wireless n adapter from OWC, but wasn't sure about the pros/cons of the device.

I think I got lucky with mine too. I bought it from a Mac reseller that gave up trying to sell it for the regular price and instead I got an iMac and the iBook for about $300. Everything works great and I even cloned the OS from the iMac onto the iBook. No issues.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM   #18
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Not telling you anything you don't already know, but just see how it plays out with this one first. A bird in hand and all that.

I got lucky with my iBook. Gently used with 10.5.8 installed and a larger-than-stock HDD. I upped the RAM, replaced the DC-in board, and started using a USB WiFi signal booster after AirPort Extreme crapped out. (Each problem emerged over time; the iBook was near pristine when I got it.) Otherwise, all systems go.
The original Apple battery was also in great shape when I got it. Held a charge for ~3 hours on 60 cycles. Only got a new battery after Hurricane Sandy when it was difficult to use the AC adapter.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:53 PM   #19
archtopshop
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Ha! Not even 2 hours. Yeah, I know I need a new battery most likely, but really can't afford it.

----------



It really is. So much so that I'm looking to replace it with the 14.1" version with the slightly faster cpu. I know the 14.1" display isn't too much of a gain and the 1.42GHz vs. the 1.33GHZ is also not much, but I could really benefit from a larger display, even if it is only 2".
There's a "catch 22" with the 14.1" display. Even though it is physically larger, the resolution of the screen is the same as the 12.1", so you don't get any additional data on the display, just a bigger image because the pixels are bigger. That also means it's a little less sharp.

The original 40GB and 60GB hard drives that these laptops came with are only 4200 rpm drives. I would think an SSD would be noticeably faster, but expensive. A 5400 rpm drive would be noticeable, too, I would think, and much more affordable.

I purchased my iBook for Christmas 2006 when the online retailers were blowing them out for $649. The Intel MacBooks were coming out and the stores were getting rid of the PowerPC's. It's been a good laptop that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I never expected it would last as long as it has.
archtopshop is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtopshop View Post
There's a "catch 22" with the 14.1" display. Even though it is physically larger, the resolution of the screen is the same as the 12.1", so you don't get any additional data on the display, just a bigger image because the pixels are bigger. That also means it's a little less sharp.

The original 40GB and 60GB hard drives that these laptops came with are only 4200 rpm drives. I would think an SSD would be noticeably faster, but expensive. A 5400 rpm drive would be noticeable, too, I would think, and much more affordable.

I purchased my iBook for Christmas 2006 when the online retailers were blowing them out for $649. The Intel MacBooks were coming out and the stores were getting rid of the PowerPC's. It's been a good laptop that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I never expected it would last as long as it has.
I didn't even realize that about the 14.1" display model. Thanks for changing my mind and saving me money! The reason I'm not sure about the SSD is because I'm not sure if the hardware limits the transfer rate to the point where a SSD would be pointless.

And I am right there with you with the surprise at the machine's longevity. I bought it originally because it was a machine that I could use in the living room while my kids were running around, and I am very happy to say that it is one of my primary devices.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:15 PM   #21
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I think a nice TRON theme will be the first and then who knows? Anyway, I am rediscovering the awesomeness of my machine and it's great.
Geektool?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:17 PM   #22
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I LOVE Geektool. I actually have that wallpaper as well and had a TRON theme on my iMac for a bit. I don't know why I haven't put it on my iBook though. It's on my iMac so now I'm going to work my PPC awesomeness even more.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #23
jchase2057
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Detroit
An SSD would make a huge difference. I had one in an old G4 800mhz iBook running leopard. It was night and day over the stock drive.
__________________
MacBook 1.83 Core Duo
1GB RAM
180GB Intel 530 Series SSD
OS X 10.6.8
jchase2057 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:37 PM   #24
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase2057 View Post
An SSD would make a huge difference. I had one in an old G4 800mhz iBook running leopard. It was night and day over the stock drive.
Really? So I guess there isn't some hardware limitation on read/write speeds then. That's good to know.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #25
CptSky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase2057 View Post
An SSD would make a huge difference. I had one in an old G4 800mhz iBook running leopard. It was night and day over the stock drive.
The G4 had an ATA connector for the hard drive. Using a SSD would be useless as anyway the connector is limited to 133 MB/s. (100 MB/s with the version used by the G4) A SATA1 socket is around 187 MB/s. Most 7200 RPM HDD can go around 200 MB/s for the platter-to-buffer, so a bit more than the SATA1 max speed. So well, a SSD is just overkill for an ATA connector... A modern 5400 RPM ATA disk will just do the job.

Also, using a SSD without the support of the TRIM command is really bad for the drive... OS X implemented the TRIM command since 10.6.8. I wouldn't really suggest SSD on PPC Macs... Anyway, the best connection is using SATA1 (PowerMac G5 Late 2005), so a good 7200 RPM drive will have a real speed higher than the max speed of the buffer-to-host connection...
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2x 2.26 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD ;
PowerMac G5, 4x 2.50 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, 4 TB (RAID-0) ;
32 GB iPhone 5S ; Apple TV (3nd Gen) ;
Xserve RAID 9 TB ;
CptSky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back on ios and enjoying it! BuryMeInSmoke Wasteland 23 Feb 23, 2014 03:22 AM
iPad Mini: Enjoying my first iPad PDFierro iPad 2 Nov 14, 2013 09:39 PM
Is anyone actually enjoying the wait? snarlz iPhone 19 Sep 26, 2013 08:41 PM
iOS7 - enjoying it but cant help thinking... kultschar iOS 7 11 Sep 11, 2013 05:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC