Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:28 AM   #51
walfrieda
macrumors newbie

does it finally fix the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)???
walfrieda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:21 AM   #52
vajon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
The never ending beta.
It will come out after OS X 10.9
vajon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:56 AM   #53
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfinebut View Post
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released.
Textwrangler has a builtin in FTP and SFTP functions, try using that. It has streamlined my work considerably.

----------

Quote:
I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).
10.8.3 beta already has support for Windows 8 in Bootcamp... doesn't it?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
I have the feeling that this long-awaited 10.8.3 is gonna cause MORE problems than what it purports to fix...
Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice.
Clunkier? I guess that's why Safari, Firefox and IE have all completely ripped off the uncluttered and simplified Chrome UI then?
SlCKB0Y is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:11 AM   #54
WM.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.
I have the same problem with Transmit + SubEthaEdit. I suspected it was an OS bug, but hadn't gotten around to confirming with the developers. Glad you did.

So, add me to the list of people hoping this is fixed in 10.8.3!
WM. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:07 AM   #55
Futurix
macrumors regular

Hopefully this is the final beta - surely they will want to release this ASAP because of the File:// bug?
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:47 AM   #56
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Wonder If this will be the last 10.8 update till OSX 10.9 is released?
If they take as much time for 10.8.4. as they did for 10.8.3, this is a certainty
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:57 AM   #57
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
If you want to file a bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com/
I've called Apple numerous times, filed reports, and have participated in many threads regarding these issues on the Apple support website. They've "been aware of these issues" since September. They obviously have more important agendas.

Last edited by noiseordinance; Feb 7, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:59 AM   #58
Pentad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.
Have you tried FileZilla instead of Transmit? I use TextWrangler and FileZilla all the time and they play well together.

-P
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:13 AM   #59
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
That's my guess. They want to get 10.8 as stable as they can before dedicating all their resources to 10.9.0.

Might see a minor 10.8.4 release after 10.9 is out though.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM   #60
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJAZZYJET View Post
this must be the last beta before release
Not necessarily. People have said that for the last three or four releases.

Quote:
In the past, the last update has been around the time of public release of the next major update. They haven't even announced 10.9 or started external betas, so assuming they do what they have done in the past, there should be at least one more. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up at 10.8.5 since we're months away from 10.9 release.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:42 AM   #61
thomaskc
macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3"
thomaskc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:47 AM   #62
81Steven
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskc View Post
I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive

A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3"
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #63
thomaskc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Steven View Post
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?
I took a screenshot of the installer:

thomaskc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:42 PM   #64
81Steven
macrumors regular

81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:44 PM   #65
Peace
macrumors P6

Keep in mind you won't be able to download the windows drivers until 10.8.3 has been released.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #66
vea1083
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskc View Post
I took a screenshot of the installer:

How big is the Combo Update if you mind asking? I will be using this update for my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 (12C60).

Thanks...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:19 PM   #67
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vea1083 View Post
how big is the combo update if you mind asking? I will be using this update for my macbook pro running 10.8.2 (12c60).

Thanks...
854 mb
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:48 PM   #68
Sankersizzle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
I hate to say it, but "this". Safari is a damn wreck. On the 4 rMBPs I've used, all four have the gif anomalie above, as well as wrecked CSS rendering on many websites, and going back a page yields a white screen. It's so bad that I use the slower, clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice. The thing is, internet browsing comprises the vast majority of people's computer usage, so why these problems still exist is beyond me. I have a hard time caring about slow boot times when I currently find web browsing to be more fun on my phone than on this $2k machine.
Don't even get me started on the CSS rendering in Safari. Things jumping around the page and disappearing as if a tiny poltergeist has climbed inside my computer and is having a fit. You think a program like Safari, which after a few hours of browsing takes up 2GB of RAM would at least be able to render the things I wish to look at correctly.

My main problem is that there is just no alternative that stacks up to Safari on a Mac. When I had a PC, I loved me some Opera, but not so much on the Mac. Now I have to just sit there and suffer random anomalies and page breaks.

Last edited by Sankersizzle; Feb 7, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Sankersizzle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:07 PM   #69
walfrieda
macrumors newbie

could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?
walfrieda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:10 PM   #70
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfrieda View Post
could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?
I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM   #71
walfrieda
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?
Yes, these are two of the most prominent "universal" bugs - the Apple forums are full of people having these issues. The high power consumption already started with 10.8.0 (I instantly "lost" two hours of battery life the very moment I installed 10.8.0), the spotlight indexing problem started with 10.8.2 and is caused by problems with sandboxing - which, by the way, causes many other problems that you can see in Console.
walfrieda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.[COLOR="#808080"]
Your logic is perfectly right.

The problem I am predicting is as follows: with such a long beta period and a huge file, they will surely fix a LOT of previously-reported bugs. But also create a LOT of new, otherwise unknown ones...wait and see.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #73
vea1083
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss-G View Post
854 mb
Thanks for the info Swiss-G.

On the other hand I predict that we might see the builds reaching the high 60s or even somewhere in the 70s.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:53 PM   #74
ghosthaunt11
macrumors member

Quote:
I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).
Why do you want to install Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse.

By the way, does anyone actually KNOW if this is the final beta before public release? I hope that this is the final beta because we've all had to wait a LOOOOONG time to update. As of now, we're still stuck with 10.8.2. At least that probably means that a whole bunch of bugs have been fixed and the OS will be a lot more stable (hopefully). We know that they fixed the "file" bug, which was critical. When I first heard of that bug, I tried it out on my MacBook Pro and sure enough, the app did crash. However, I don't care about that bug since I never need to type that. It is still a good idea to fix it, though.

Last edited by ghosthaunt11; Feb 8, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
ghosthaunt11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #75
milo
macrumors 603

Nobody knows either way, although we're at a point where any of these builds could be the last one. Obviously they want to get it out as soon as they can, but the flip side is if they do more builds it should mean more bugs fixed.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion