Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Waiting for Skylake?

Is it a good idea to wait for Broadwell or Skylake?

Or if I wait until the Haswell models are out; the Ivy Bridge models will be cheaper?

The rMBPs on the buyers guide is set to "Buy only if you need it".

I'd hate to spend 1800 pounds on a new Macbook Pro only to have Apple update it a few weeks later...

Thoughts?
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:36 AM   #2
F1 Fan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
If you can wait until Skylake is out then you certainly don't need a new machine now. If you don't need to spend 1800 for another couple of years then it's probably a good idea not to!

If you want to do things your current machine cannot handle properly then maybe it's time for an upgrade. When you get to the point that your machine is actually incapable of the tasks you need completed then you need a new one and the fact that something better is on it's way will be completely irrelevant.

I'm still using a windows laptop which I had planned to replace with a macbook this year but at the moment it's still working. It regularly does my head in but it's not yet enough of a problem to justify spending that kind of money.
F1 Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:38 AM   #3
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Is it a good idea to wait for Broadwell or Skylake?

Or if I wait until the Haswell models are out; the Ivy Bridge models will be cheaper?

The rMBPs on the buyers guide is set to "Buy only if you need it".

I'd hate to spend 1800 pounds on a new Macbook Pro only to have Apple update it a few weeks later...

Thoughts?
Well, do you need it?
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
swerve147
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
You should wait for Skylake. I hear there's a lot of random stuff that will be upgraded by then.
__________________
15 in. MacBook Pro with Retina display mid 2012 (2.6/16/512) | OnePlus One
swerve147 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Is it a good idea to wait for Broadwell or Skylake?

Or if I wait until the Haswell models are out; the Ivy Bridge models will be cheaper?

The rMBPs on the buyers guide is set to "Buy only if you need it".

I'd hate to spend 1800 pounds on a new Macbook Pro only to have Apple update it a few weeks later...

Thoughts?
Apple doesn't have warehouses or stores full of Ivy Bridge machines - they'll stop making them before they release Haswell so they won't be lowering prices.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Liquinn
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Apple doesn't have warehouses or stores full of Ivy Bridge machines - they'll stop making them before they release Haswell so they won't be lowering prices.
Well what I mean is, once Apple release the Haswell MBPs, the Ivy Bridge rMBPs *should* be cheaper.
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:26 AM   #7
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Well what I mean is, once Apple release the Haswell MBPs, the Ivy Bridge rMBPs *should* be cheaper.
Apple won't lower their prices, but you might be able to catch a couple closeouts at MacMall or Best Buy. Or wait for some refurbs to trickle in.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Does anybody know if the Macs built in 2017 will be better than the ones built in 2015? I NEED TO KNOW!
__________________
2011 Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 500GB HDD + 3TB NAS
Haswell rMBP 13" - i7/512GB
Mac Mini 1.83GHz Core2Duo, 3GB RAM, 60GB SSD
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Is it a good idea to wait for Broadwell or Skylake?

Or if I wait until the Haswell models are out; the Ivy Bridge models will be cheaper?

The rMBPs on the buyers guide is set to "Buy only if you need it".

I'd hate to spend 1800 pounds on a new Macbook Pro only to have Apple update it a few weeks later...

Thoughts?
Get one in 40 years. they arre much better thn skylake lol.




Everything is old and outdated before it even hits marked. so I think you should not get one at all. you will never have new and relevant.
__________________
Life is a game. Play till your dead, then restart.
luffytubby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Asuriyan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
The rMBP buying guide is based on average cycles for a model not even a year into life (they're basing the update time on the introduction of a new model, the 13"). I would take that with a grain of salt.

Considering Skylake is probably closer to 3 years away than 2, I think you would have plenty of time to get use out of an Ivy Bridge machine between now and then. In fact, if you bought one now you'd probably be just about due for an upgrade by then.
Asuriyan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #11
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Does anybody know if the Macs built in 2017 will be better than the ones built in 2015? I NEED TO KNOW!
Seriously?

----------

If you set yourself on waiting for Skylake or Broadwell or whatever, then when they DO come out, Intel will already have started talking about the next generation, and you might never buy anything because there is always something new coming that is better.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bronx,Ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Does anybody know if the Macs built in 2017 will be better than the ones built in 2015? I NEED TO KNOW!
I have a friend who works at the apple store and I asked him your quetion he said to wait for The 2018 edition it should cost only 4,000 and it will come with half an apple share
Ricanlegend is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waiting for Skylake MBP thread adildacoolset MacBook Pro 62 Dec 18, 2014 08:05 PM
Probably best to wait on Skylake for your next iMac Mr. Dee iMac 26 Oct 14, 2014 01:51 PM
Waiting for Skylake rMBP Thread ParanoidDroid Wasteland 19 Sep 16, 2013 06:26 AM
Wait for Skylake? Liquinn MacBook Pro 3 Jun 12, 2013 08:42 AM
Buy now or wait for Skylake? Liquinn MacBook Pro 23 Feb 25, 2013 12:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC